advertisement

RIP Lightroom?

Same here, I'm just concerned that 'Classic' could be the beginning of the end for non-cloud-stored photos. Also, as my Mac isn't up to spec for Classic, what happens with my LRCC?

Yes, almost certainly, but the new, cloud version will need to come on quite a long way first, which is why they are doing this in parallel I suppose.

I guess you're stuffed on the Mac though unfortunately - is it not painfully slow?

I guess you're stuffed on the Mac though unfortunately - is it not painfully slow?

In a word...yes. :(

It's not too bad though, takes ages for LR to start up but once running it's ok.

With our John Lewis discount I can get LR6 for under 90 quid as a stand-alone, and on disk too. Been searching for a link somewhere to get an upgrade to 6 from my old 5 but cannot find anything, frustratingly.

Regarding Lightroom speed. I have a 2012 Mac Mini and moved the OS and applications to an external USB 3 SSD. The difference that the solid state drive made is staggering.

Regarding Lightroom speed. I have a 2012 Mac Mini and moved the OS and applications to an external USB 3 SSD. The difference that the solid state drive made is staggering.

Interesting! This is something I have been thinking of doing. Do you also store the photos on the external SSD or are they on a standard platter drive HD?

Lefty

Interesting! This is something I have been thinking of doing. Do you also store the photos on the external SSD or are they on a standard platter drive HD?

The photos are on two non-SSD external drives, around 1.25 TB used in total.

The photos are on two non-SSD external drives, around 1.25 TB used in total.

Excellent! You've sold me. I have a very similar setup with my photos being stored on an external non-SSD HD.

I recently 'upgraded' from a 2011 iMac to a brand new 2017 iMac and Lr and Ps (when used together with lots of images open) actually run slower on the new machine!! I'm putting it down to the fact that the new machine only has 8GB RAM, whereas I had upgraded my old machine to 12GB. Since the RAM on my new iMac is not user-upgradeable, I'm hoping the addition of the SSD will bring a big improvement...

Lefty

I’m less concerned about the subscription (having had it for a couple of years) than I am about losing my photographs to the amorphous cloud. I’m sorry but I just don’t trust the buqqers!

I understand that Classic retains my local folder based setup, so I’ll give it a try - having first copied all my RAW files to another NAS!

Lightroom Classic CC is just what Lightroom CC was before. With performance improvements.

Lightroom CC is just what Lightroom Mobile was before. With the ability to use it on more platforms.

Most people capture images using a phone. Adobe wants to provide products for them.

Most people capture images using a phone. Adobe wants to provide products for them.

You don't need anything like the power or complexity of LR to play with the levels on JPEG files though, and Apple will put your pictures on their cloud by default.

Have you looked at Lightroom CC ?

It has filters.

And most high end phones will shoot RAW.

But I do think that it is expensive.

There's no doubt that Adobe see phone and tablet editing as the future and they're doing what they can to facilitate that. It's a shame that it's been at the expense of, what has been until now, their core business. Traditional LR development has all but stagnated, while their promise of a stand alone product remaining 'indefinitely', didn't survive the current version. The trouble is I'm not yet seeing a viable and affordable alternative for those who have a lot of time and history invested in LR. Time will tell.

I've succumbed to paying the monthly bill, but not calmed down no - I'm off sick from work, and it's money I'd rather not shell out because of its indefinite nature. They'll be no more updates to 6 after the end of the year.

Has anyone here jumped to LR Classic yet?

Just weighing up the choices between...

a. Upgrading from Mavericks to El Capitan* for my iMac (my MacBook already runs it) so that Classic is then available to me.

b. Uninstalling LRCC (2015) on both my iMac and MB - then I'll choose the stand-alone LR5-to-LR6 upgrade**. Should add that LR5 is still installed on both my devices.

*I really don't like El C(r)apitan as it got rid of iPhoto.

**Does anyone know if the LR Upgrade (5 to 6) can be installed on 2 devices?

Thanks for any help (I'm not terribly computer-savvy!) :)

LR can be installed on two similar devices (eg 2 Macs or 2 PCs) but not one of each - as I found to my cost.

I am conflicted here - I have found Adobe support to be brilliant when I have needed help, but moving to CC is not in my life plan. OneOne photo RAW is really catching up and I may just jump ship.

Well, I've ditched LRCC - the main reason being I refuse to 'upgrade' the OS on my iMac just to be able to use LR Classic. Uninstalled it and replaced with LR6 which cost me £64 so not too bad. Works fine on both the iMac and 'Book.

The robbing b*stards at Adobe still charged me 40 quid to cancel the CC subscription though. :(

advertisement

Back