advertisement

The old but awesome thread

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
I nominate Quad 57s and 63s and Garrard 301s.

Joe

Well, you didn't stipulate how old, but I nominate Garrard 401, Lenco 88, Michell Hydraulic reference and the Denon DL 103.

I’ll nominate the oldest thing I have in regular use, my 1961 Leak Stereo 20. Older than me and all the amp one could possibly want assuming sensible speakers and listening levels.

Not sure what year my Richard Allan is, late 60s though I think, '68/69 maybe. Sounds as good as anything I've owned. Needs a service though...

briggs.jpg

- From G A Briggs 'Loudspeakers', 1961.

Except the valves, capacitors and resistors?
Valves and caps are consumables though. Resistors less so, they last indefinitely if of decent quality.

After all, you wouldn't expect a 1961 car to have the original tyres. Certainly wouldn't want to drive it anywhere!

Except the valves, capacitors and resistors?

All bar the EL84s are Mullards of the same date period, all be it NOS examples when I fitted them. I actually have two Mullard ECC83s and a GZ34 that were in the amp when I bought it and I suspect are the original tubes, they are a bit tired but still work. My amp had actually been rebuilt once before so my rebuild was as much as anything doing it again right/as close to original spec as possible. There are many similar Leaks and Quads out there with a fair few original components, a lot depends on how well they have been stored I guess. Quads seem very kind to their tubes, you see loads with the original GEC KT66s still working fine. The majority of carbon resistors in my Leak had drifted way off spec or become noisy hence replacing them all, though I have stuck with nice carbon replacements in key areas.

advertisement

Back