advertisement

good, SMALL solid state amplifiers? on a budget...and not Class D

thanks for all the suggestions

monoblocks definitely don't work as I'm trying to reduce boxes and cables if i can.

I suppose if I'm wrong about Class D amplification, it would be worth my while to try the new Mytek amp that matches my Brooklyn.

I'd really love the Benchmark amp but it's out of budget.

I'm looking into all of these other options. Thanks for all the advice.

One last suggestion: Quad 303.

Plenty info on it round here, I know Tony is a fan.

In my experience, and going by your previous choice of integrated, the Snells appreciate a bit of valve character, which the 303 is reputed to do very well for a solid state device.

thanks for all the suggestions

monoblocks definitely don't work as I'm trying to reduce boxes and cables if i can.

Understood that's why we designed the stereo version. 50w + 50W in a mono case.

A bit left field I know but how about a Marantz PM4 integrated? 15watt class A, or 60watts in AB at the push of a switch. Also MM & MC phono inputs. Beautifully made and sounds really nice, especially on the class A setting.

pm-4.JPG

While I have your attention - given that I currently run my Roon end-point (Raspberry Pi thing) through a Dragonfly Black DAC into the Ncores... how would I calculate the digital attenuation required to ensure I don’t exceed 100W into the Yammies?

I hope that makes sense.

It does. Are you running standard nCores or ones with a Nord buffer? We need to know the voltage gain of the amp.

There is also the problem that we can only control the voltage, not the power - the relationship between voltage and power depends on the actual impedance of the speaker, and that varies with frequency. On the other hand the 100W power handling is a very approximate value too.

Here is a slightly simplistic analysis:

Assuming a nominal 4 ohm, it takes 20 V (RMS) at the amp output to produce 100W. The standard hypex nc400 has a voltage gain of 26 dB, corresponding to a ratio of 20, so you want to limit the input voltage to 1 V. The Dragonfly Black has an output voltage of 1.2 V, which is only 1.5 dB above 1 V, so as long as you stay 1.5 dB off full volume, you should be OK (all assuming standard hypoex voltage gain).

Good, small, solid state, on a budget, no class D: take a look at the many "Gainclone" amplifiers available.

It does. Are you running standard nCores or ones with a Nord buffer? We need to know the voltage gain of the amp.

There is also the problem that we can only control the voltage, not the power - the relationship between voltage and power depends on the actual impedance of the speaker, and that varies with frequency. On the other hand the 100W power handling is a very approximate value too.

Here is a slightly simplistic analysis:

Assuming a nominal 4 ohm, it takes 20 V (RMS) at the amp output to produce 100W. The standard hypex nc400 has a voltage gain of 26 dB, corresponding to a ratio of 20, so you want to limit the input voltage to 1 V. The Dragonfly Black has an output voltage of 1.2 V, which is only 1.5 dB above 1 V, so as long as you stay 1.5 dB off full volume, you should be OK (all assuming standard hypoex voltage gain).

Thanks Julf,

Mine are these, NC500 based, with Sonic Imagery 994 Op Amps:

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-se-up-nc500mb-mono-block-black-single

The speakers are Yamaha NS-1000Ms, nominally 8ohm.

Thanks Julf,

Mine are these, NC500 based, with Sonic Imagery 994 Op Amps:

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-se-up-nc500mb-mono-block-black-single

Problem is that Colin and Mike don't like to talk technical stuff - I don't know if their buffer and op-amp adds gain or not.

The speakers are Yamaha NS-1000Ms, nominally 8ohm.

9 ohm would require 28 V at the output to produce 100W, so 1.4 V at the input if the gain is the hypex-standard 26 dB / 20x, but nominal impedance is just that - nominal.

Thanks again. So, assuming no gain in the buffer, and only considering nominal impedance, the Dragonfly at full tilt through the ncores would produce less than 100w.

I’ll just Keep it to max -10db :)

Anyone have experience with the Bel Canto 5ci? It is Class D and only has a MM section, but a once box solution is very appealing

Understood that's why we designed the stereo version. 50w + 50W in a mono case.

A bit left field I know but how about a Marantz PM4 integrated? 15watt class A, or 60watts in AB at the push of a switch. Also MM & MC phono inputs. Beautifully made and sounds really nice, especially on the class A setting.

pm-4.JPG

+1 I repaired and recapped one of these recently and can confirm that they sound very nice when set to class A.

The appeal of a small integretad cannot be disregarded. Small, neat and tidy. The usual suspects would be as follows.

Rega Brio
Exposure XM5
Naim Atom

The Atom is costly but it's an all-in-one.

I have an A&E DCA-100, shoebox format, sounds lovely. Rare as a happy Remain voter, thouh nicer to have around after the evening news.

There is one for sale in Germany at 120€. I am tempted too, but I can ill afford a unit that needs repair.

advertisement

Back