advertisement

Google Chromecast Audio.

Natara

pfm Member
I have spent many frustrating hours trying to configure a Raspberry Pi to my needs and so have decided to add Google CC as a temporary measure. It will be connected up to my Chord 2Qute via optical cable and will be used predominantly to stream Tidal and Internet Radio via iPhone or iPad.

Any tips will be gratefully received and also anyones views (if you believe in such things) on fancy cables and also if anyone has used an alternative psu to the one provided.

I understand it can handle the lossless streams from Tidal but not anything higher so is it able to handle any higher res streams and can a usb hard drive be accomodated via a Macbook say?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My advice would be to just plug it in and enjoy... Streaming from a local source to a CC seems to be trickier in an Apple environment than with Android, but I'm sure there's a way of doing it.

You just need the Google Home app from the Apple App Store to work with Apple iOS devices.

Best PSU is probably a battery, i.e. a portable mobile phone charger type with plenty of capacity. Although, I didn't hear any difference when hooking mine up with one.

No experience with Macbooks.

Mine just works. After a few false starts and trying to be clever, I have found something that is just plug and play. For £20.

Absolutely amazing piece of kit for the money but I do find that mine occasionally needs to be reset if not used for a few days. Also has a tendancy to stop responding to my android tablet if it's been playing Spotify for a couple of hours. Maybe this is more a Spotify quirk ?

You just need the Google Home app from the Apple App Store to work with Apple iOS devices.

Best PSU is probably a battery, i.e. a portable mobile phone charger type with plenty of capacity. Although, I didn't hear any difference when hooking mine up with one.

No experience with Macbooks.

That is exactly what I was going to do I have quit a decent one that holds plenty of charge and already have an 'average' optical cable so sounds like I'm good to go.

Yes on here and other sites I found myself writing comands on terminal to ssh and getting answers like cannot connect to port 22 and my 47 years started to drain away in front of me.

So your network was badly configured?

Do realise that all these 'powerbanks' use one Li-ion cell, and an internal and not particularly quiet step-up smps board to create 5v from 3.7-4v input. No different at all in the wider view to using the supplied smps adaptor (which I found actually pretty good on tear-down and measurement.) That said, no mains smps means no possible injection of common-mode noise, which unfortunately cheap smps wallwarts can be terrible for.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
So your network was badly configured?

If it was I didn't realise until that point.
Go to terminal and type in pi@ ip address password: Raspberry at which point it would always say cannot connect to port 22 or something along those lines.
It is of no interest to me now as I do not have a Pi.
I was looking for a temporary streaming solution as I traded a Naim streamer & Naim power amp for a better Naim power amp. I retained the 2Qute dac and so until I could afford a better solution I thought the Pi could be a 'cheap' temporary solution. I have now bought a Chromecast and hopefully it will fulfil that roll for me.

If it was I didn't realise until that point.
Go to terminal and type in pi@ ip address password: Raspberry at which point it would always say cannot connect to port 22 or something along those lines.
It is of no interest to me now as I do not have a Pi.
I was looking for a temporary streaming solution as I traded a Naim streamer & Naim power amp for a better Naim power amp. I retained the 2Qute dac and so until I could afford a better solution I thought the Pi could be a 'cheap' temporary solution. I have now bought a Chromecast and hopefully it will fulfil that roll for me.

Well, if you start off wrong, where can you go?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/linux/usage/users.md

but what where you trying to do?

I thought that 42 was the answer to life and stuff?

Oh, sorry, this is now "of no interest to me"

keep going

ronnie :)

Ah. I guess you didn't enable ssh.

"As of the November 2016 release, Raspbian has the SSH server disabled by default."

"For headless setup, SSH can be enabled by placing a file named ssh, without any extension, onto the boot partition of the SD card. When the Pi boots, it looks for the ssh file. If it is found, SSH is enabled, and the file is deleted. The content of the file does not matter: it could contain text, or nothing at all."

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/ssh/README.md

I know you have given up on RPi, but I want to leave this here for others who stumble on the same issue.

I gave up on it as well. it was frustrating to have to get a screen/keyboard out every few days to sort it. I am a novice, so I accept that it can be done, but a cable solved all problems.

advertisement

Back