advertisement

In praise of dealers

Nic P

pfm Member
Since I retired 10 years ago much of equipment has been purchased second hand from the Internet. However when we bought a replacement CDP for our second system we purchased a new Rega Apollo-R from Jon at MAX (delighted with it). When visiting Jon we heard a pair of Chario bookshelf speakers which were ex dem at much less than half the RRP of 2000 euro. We were blown away by them. We took measurements and although significantly bigger than our Dali bookshelf speakers in the kitchen they would fit. It is a very difficult audio environment and speaker siting situation, but Jon said we were welcome to try them. They work brilliantly and have happily purchased them. We would not own them without Jon's intervention. It reminded me that a good dealer can still provide a great, good value service.

Nic P

Since I retired 10 years ago much of equipment has been purchased second hand from the Internet. However when we bought a replacement CDP for our second system we purchased a new Rega Apollo-R from Jon at MAX (delighted with it). When visiting Jon we heard a pair of Chario bookshelf speakers which were ex dem at much less than half the RRP of 2000 euro. We were blown away by them. We took measurements and although significantly bigger than our Dali bookshelf speakers in the kitchen they would fit. It is a very difficult audio environment and speaker siting situation, but Jon said we were welcome to try them. They work brilliantly and have happily purchased them. We would not own them without Jon's intervention. It reminded me that a good dealer can still provide a great, good value service.

Nic P
Hear hear.

John at MAX is first-class!!!

Yes, a good dealer is a real plus, I think. I've always found the guys at Lintone Audio really helpful, offer home trials, and happy to do deals on ex demos etc.

A few years ago, I almost bought a new CD player but after about 3 demos at Lintone, I went for a streamer and haven't looked back. David Baker said that that was where things were heading and he was right. And the sound quality was better than the CD player so a win-win.

Back in the day, (eighties) I also had great service from Rayleigh Hifi and I reckon they'll still be offering the same great service today.

Purité Audio.

Keith couldn't be further away from a sales person. I have spoken with him numerous times on the phone, yet he has only seen one sale from me via another person. I have no affiliation with Keith but as a business owner I believe in people being recognised for what they do or don't. Keith is the best guy I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

Others dealers should take note.... OK, I am sure he is not alone but some of the experiences I have had elsewhere is beyond the imagination. Shortsighted in a nutshell.

I recall a certain place in Cheadle, laughing at me some 8 years ago when I told them my opinion was DACs would take over CD players. Hmmmmmm..........

My point was that DACs in their opinion serve no future in the industry, period. Coincidently they only sold CD players at the time and had no time for DACs whatsoever. I know they have moved location since, but beyond that, I wouldn't know.

They had one of the best naturally acoustically "tuned" rooms with plants etc I have ever heard. It was their denial that amused me. I am happy to admit I have never heard a pair of naim Allaes sound so good. Very very impressive to say the least.

They haven't - sound wise.

It's worth pointing out here that a DAC is actually one of the critical components of a CD player. I don't know what makes you think that a good standalone DAC would be inferior to a CD player if fed with a high quality digital signal. High resolution digital files on a hard disk/ssd or even streamed are far less likely to contain errors than those stored on a polycarbonate disk, read by a laser.

To be more precise. A Lavry DAC (DA-10), and many others outperform a CDS3/XPS2 - I could name 5+ people that have made this move, though have since moved on for even better. Yet apparently DACs had no future whatsoever. I was laughed at - in the nicest way, of course.

I agree with Pedro on Keith a real gentlemen to deal with no hard sell and very knowledgeable. He sent me a Weiss server to try (Devon) with no obligation.

Nic P

+1. I bought a pair of Wilson Audio Sophia from him many years ago, at least it seems. Top guy indeed.

Sound Academy in Bloxwich has my vote.
Dave helped us out brilliantly and is absolutely right that Sonus Faber and Primare are a match made in heaven! Spent more than I wanted to, but defo worth it! He made me realise that the Concertino Homes are great little speakers when optimally paired. He clearly loves his music and values his customers and is happy to demo and loan. In case of the demo, even when it was pretty clear that I wasn't going to be able to buy it for a looong while at best.

Prior to that, the much lamented and due to owner health issues now no longer existing CAC Audio in Leiden, The Netherlands. Always made time and had good advice. They managed to convince importers to let them sell only what they liked, so always had a great selection of carefully selected kit. Never been able to find a place like that anywhere else.

Clive at Sound Cinergy in Aldridge is the best dealer I've encountered by far, he had time for me when I was an annoying teenager with limited funds, even gave me a Revolver rebel turntable and a Jelco tonearm to help me get my first system started. A highly knowledgeable guy with a no hard sell approach and will find the best solution for you rather than the most profitable for him.

My point was that DACs in their opinion serve no future in the industry, period. Coincidently they only sold CD players at the time and had no time for DACs whatsoever. I know they have moved location since, but beyond that, I wouldn't know.

They had one of the best naturally acoustically "tuned" rooms with plants etc I have ever heard. It was their denial that amused me. I am happy to admit I have never heard a pair of naim Allaes sound so good. Very very impressive to say the least.

Just to clarify, there used to be two hifi dealers in Cheadle. From the context, I think the references here are to the one which is no longer there.

advertisement

Back