advertisement

Arkless modified Cambridge 640P: First Impressions

The 640P and 651P. They are identical other than styling and an on/off switch on the 651P.

The loan unit is back on it's travels.....
Thanks for that, Jez. I was going to buy one of the richer sounds models with the 20% off on Saturday. Woke up with terrible hangover, went out to lunch on way to FA cup semi and clean forgot.

Having done basic mods on my 551p (capacitors, op amps etc) it sounds so much better then the standard one. Would love to hear an Arkess 651p!

If you want to try it you will need to PM me your full details.
Please note that the mods cannot be applied to the 551P.

If you want to try it you will need to PM me your full details.
Please note that the mods cannot be applied to the 551P.

New member here, I just sent you a PM! I couldn't find much online except that you're in the UK. Are you still offering the mods on the CA phono stages? If so, can you enlighten me as to whether you prefer the 651P to the classic 640P and what mods are available at what price?

Thank you!

New member here, I just sent you a PM! I couldn't find much online except that you're in the UK. Are you still offering the mods on the CA phono stages? If so, can you enlighten me as to whether you prefer the 651P to the classic 640P and what mods are available at what price?

Thank you!

First of all I must say that I trade only with EU countries so I hope that covers yourself :)

Other info here:www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162772

There's no preference for 640P or 651P

I have one of the few Arkless Turbo + in existence, and I must say that I am very pleased with what this phono stage does fronting my Naim kit into Amphion Argon 3L Speakers / Rogers LS2. . I will try to write a bit more detailed about my impressions tomorrow night. So far: well-defined vocals and instruments against a very quiet backdrop.
Peter

I have one of the few Arkless Turbo + in existence, and I must say that I am very pleased with what this phono stage does fronting my Naim kit into Amphion Argon 3L Speakers / Rogers LS2. . I will try to write a bit more detailed about my impressions tomorrow night. So far: well-defined vocals and instruments against a very quiet backdrop.
Peter

I'm glad you like it! I'll look forward to reading your more detailed review.

Dear ladies and gentlemen - the below impressions of the Arkless Turbo+ phono stage represents MY OWN OPINION of this phono stage.

I tested the Arkless Phono stage against standard Naim NA 323 K-cards in a Nac 32.5. I level-matched as best I could using an Android app, I listened both at length to each Phono card/ stage and for short intervals. The switching took 10 seconds (moving connectors at the back of the Nac 32.5). No blind-testing (double-blind or triple-blind, for that matter) took place. I enjoyed myself and invited my wife to join one of the listening sessions.

The kit:

CB Naim Nac 32.5 (2014-serviced, 729 preamp boards), Bolt Down Snaps, Bolt Down Nap 160 (2015 Witchhat service) with Amphion Argon 3L speakers / System Audio Pandion 2 standmounts. Source: Modified Thorens TD160 MK. II with Morch UP-4 arm, Denon 103r cartridge.

Right now I am listening to Paul McCartney’s rendition of “Got to Get You Into My life” from “Revolver” and a first observation is that it sounds "just right" - a term first used by my wife who assisted me with her "unbiased" ears during one listening session. And that term is the exact one I had when I first let the Arkless Turbo+ phono stage warm up with music in the background. This “just rightness” is very addictive, I tell you.

The Arkless Turbo+ phono stage has a lovely separation of instruments, it is velvety smooth and detailed paired with an integrated "liquid" presentation of music. Voices are fleshed out and rendered with lots of clarity and detail. For instance, Leonard Cohen's voice is presented with as much details on "Darkness," "Tower of Song" and "First We Take Manhattan" as I could possibly ask for. The same goes for Paul McCartney’s vocal on “Got to Get You into My Life” incidentally. I love that.

On Van Morrison's "Moondance" (take 22) the Arkless Turbo+ every instrument was clearly placed in the sound stage. The individual piano notes were extremly easy to follow and the detailed presentation of horns and percussion were very, very good. This without losing any of the overall musicality.

The phono stage is very neutral (but not clinically so) – this coming from someone who has had mostly Naim phono cards / stages in the house: NA 323 S-cards + Prefix S (with black snaic). But it definitely has the kind of musical fun factor that I used to think only Naim had. My Perreaux phono stage also sounded very detailed with my Denon 103r but it lacked the musicality and drive of the Arkless Turbo+.
I am very satisfied with the Arkless Turbo+, and if anyone is ever in this neck of the woods (Aarhus, Denmark) you are very welcome to have a listen. By then I may have sold off my two Nap 160s, so you will have to make do with my NCC200 mono blocks (built with the assistance of mister6 – unless I am mistaken).

EDITED

I now listen to my TT with as much enjoyment as I listen to streamed music. That was not the case in the past.

Cheers,
Peter

At long last, here are my thoughts about the Arkless Turbo+ phono stage that I have listened to on this kit:
CB Naim Nac 32.5 (2014-serviced, 729 preamp boards), Bolt Down Snaps, Bolt Down Nap 160 (2015 Witchhat service) with Amphion Argon 3L speakers / Syatem Audio Pandion 2 standmounts. Source: Modified Thorens TD160 MK. II with Morch UP-4 arm, Denon 103r cartridge.
Right now I am listening to Paul McCartney’s rendition of “Got to Get You Into My life” from “Revolver” and a first observation is thet it sounds "just right" - a term first used by my wife who assisted me with her "unbiased" ears during one listening session. And that term is that exact one I had when I first let the Arkless Turbo+ phono stage warm up with music in the background. This “just rightness” is very addictive, I tell you.
The Arkless Turbo+ phono stage has a lovely separation of instruments, it is velvety smooth and detailed paired with an integrated "liquid" presentation of music. Voices are fleshed out and rendered with lots of clarity and detail. For instance, Leonard Cohen's voice is presented with as much details on "Darkness," "Tower of Song" and "First We Take Manhattan" that you could possibly ask for. The same goes for Paul McCartney’s vocal on “Got to Get You into My Life” incidentally. I love that.
On Van Morrison's "Moondance" (take 22) the Arkless Turbo+ every instrument was clearly placed in the sound stage. The individual piano notes were extremly easy to follow and the detailed presentation of horns and percussion were very, very good. This without losing any of the overall musicality.
The phono stage is very neutral (but not clinically so) – this coming from someone who has had mostly Naim phono cards / stages in the house: NA 323 S-cards + Prefix S (with black snaic). But it definitely has the kind of musical fun factor that I used to think only Naim had. My Perreaux phono stage also sounded very detailed with my Denon 103r but it lacked the musicality and drive of the Arkless Turbo+.
I am very satisfied with the Arkless Turbo+, and if anyone is ever in this neck of the woods (Aarhus, Denmark) you are very welcome to have a listen. By then I may have sold off my two Nap 160s, so you will have to make do with my NCC200 mono blocks (built with the assistance of mister6 – unless I am mistaken).
I have a 5 volt linear psu kicking about here and I may try this instead of the standard psu to see if this will improve what is already very very good. I have my doubts though.
Cheers,
Peter

NO!!!!! It runs on 12 V AC so you cannot under any circumstances use it with any other power supply other than another 12V AC one (just a transformer really), which won't change the sound any way....

Thanks for the favourable write up :)

Ahem. My bad. It is a dual 12v and 5v linear supply. I will use only the 12v output of course.

I checked a few weeks back and noted that I could use this particular linear supply. Just forgot the correct voltage for my post.

Cheers,
Peter

Ahem. My bad. It is a dual 12v and 5v linear supply. I will use only the 12v output of course.

I checked a few weeks back and noted that I could use this particular linear supply. Just forgot the correct voltage for my post.

Cheers,
Peter

You can't use it!!!! Absolutely no way. It requires AC not DC.

Alright. THANKS - saved me a bundle there!
I have deleted the stupid and positively incorrect line from my text.

Peter

I'm making the demo unit available for home demo again so anyone interested please add your name under here.

Same drill as in the past: you try it for a few days and then post it on by insured and tracked courier to the next person.

The Turbo and Turbo + are no longer available. Just the original Arkless 640P which now has the MM/MC switch as standard. Price is now £225.

Suitable donor units are the Cambridge Audio 640P, 651P and CP2.

Hi Jez, just to let you know I'm still using the modded 640 and it still sounds great. I recently compared it to a phonoclone 3 which I bought from a fellow PFM member, but I prefer the Arkless. I'm using it with an OC9 MLII.
Welcome back and best of luck.
Mike

Hi Jez, just to let you know I'm still using the modded 640 and it still sounds great. I recently compared it to a phonoclone 3 which I bought from a fellow PFM member, but I prefer the Arkless. I'm using it with an OC9 MLII.
Welcome back and best of luck.
Mike

Hi Mike. Hope you are well. You were the first person to have an Arkless 640P so I'm glad you are still enjoying it :)

Much of my system has changed since then, Tannoy Turnberry SE's, Linn Exotic Pre, Parasound Halo A21 power amp and Cirkus kit and new motor in the LP12, but the Arkless 640P is still in the system. So that's five years, seems like 5 months!

advertisement

Back