advertisement

Cheaper cart to replace a Dynavector Karat D2?

Taff63

pfm Member
It appears my Dynavector Karat D2 has given up the ghost with a collapsed suspension. An email to Goldring confirms that, due to the construction of this model, they are unable to rebuild the cartridge. I am unable to afford a new D3 and so I am on the lookout for a replacement for about £250 to £300 – any recommendations in this price bracket would be very welcome!

System is a Systemdek 3 with Nima arm, JVC AX-Z1010TN amp and Ruark Crusader speakers.

I run a Nima on my LP12 and it's a wonderful bit of kit, in fact I cannot think of anything I'd replace it with for the sensible side of £crazy.

It does seem to like a perky-sounding cartridge as being a unipivot its sound is spacious with a natural, unforced musicality. I use a Hana EL in mine, which works extremely well - previously I had a Denon DL110 which for the money is just about unbeatable. Does very little wrong, tracks well, is kind to surface noise too. The Hana is better, but it's not a yawning chasm of better.

Part ex with dyna maybe better value as they give you a fixed price for your old one I thought

I run a Nima on my LP12 and it's a wonderful bit of kit, in fact I cannot think of anything I'd replace it with for the sensible side of £crazy.

It does seem to like a perky-sounding cartridge as being a unipivot its sound is spacious with a natural, unforced musicality. I use a Hana EL in mine, which works extremely well - previously I had a Denon DL110 which for the money is just about unbeatable. Does very little wrong, tracks well, is kind to surface noise too. The Hana is better, but it's not a yawning chasm of better.

Agree about the Denons - I have a Denon 160 which has been used a back-up but is currently loaned out to a friend and that is a nice match. I've earmarked that for my trusty old Pioneer PL570 though as the combo really sings. Reading reviews the 103/103r seems to like heavier arms - is this correct?

Yes, 103 is low compliance so needs an arm with high effective mass. SME 3009 owners look away now. Ittok and SME 4 or 5, great.

I had a 103R on my Nima, on the advice of the guy who sold me it. (Are unipivots considered a special case as regards arm mass-cart compliance matching? I've heard this as a kind of rumour but never read a full account.) It sounded really nice: big, rich, bold, really solid imaging. I preferred it to everything else I've had on the arm - AT440, DL160, ADC XLMII - but it was definitely a bit tizzy in the highs and I often felt it was on the edge of mistracking. I think some extra weight at the head shell helped, but I had to add some lead strips to the counterweight to balance it out - the CW is really pretty light, the published specs are misleading.

]Are unipivots considered a special case as regards arm mass-cart compliance matching? I've heard this as a kind of rumour but never read a full account.

Good question, and one I've been meaning to ask. I'm considering a 103R for my NA Spacedeck/Space Arm

Hi Taff
I’m thinking of moving on a Dynavector DX20h with less than 200 hrs on it. Great condition with box etc. If of interest drop me a PM.

OP. Firstly make sure you haven't accidentally moved the c/weight like I did, as this can make the suspension appear to collapse when actually it's fine.

List for 17D3 is around £1050. I bought my new one for £840 inc trade in.
£840 is a lot for many folk ( me included) but I think in the OP's position I'd go for a cheapie and save for the DV. The cheapie then acts as a spare.

Mull

new, you're more in 'the best MM' that finding much that's amazing as a MC. Stretch for the Dyna 10X5...VG sound for that money, esp if you like the DV signature. If that's too rich I'd probably go the other way and get an AT 95...stupidly good for pocket money, or on the money, the ortofon quintet blue.

advertisement

Back