advertisement

Photo printing software

MikeMA

pfm Member
The photo printing software that came with my HP Envy 4500 is truly awful, probably the worst I've ever encountered.

I've downloaded and tried a trial version of Arcsoft which seems fine for what I want, but for some reason it keeps crashing when I try to pay for the full version.

Can someone recommend any software similar to Arcsoft which is truly free, and not just a free trial version? Do such things exist?

Arcsoft looks like photo editing software to me.

Thanks. It does both.

All I want is something simple like the software that came with my old Brother and Canon printers which allows me to do simple editing and print on glossy A4 photo paper, four to a sheet.

The HP software is such hard work. In fact I'm just about to run out of incredibly expensive HP ink and am minded to just junk the printer and get another Canon.

Does Mull want an HP Envy 4500 in full working order?:)

I just use the print module in Adobe Lightroom with my tried and trusty Epson 3800. Works a treat for colour and B&W.

Charlie

I use Qimage too, it is remarkably good despite a sometimes unintuitive interface, but I suspect it might be more advanced than the OP is wanting. Forgive me if I'm wrong Mike.

I've not yet looked at Qimage, but I just want something intuitive and simple. The software that came with my previous printers was fine. I just find this latest HP stuff a big step backwards and pretty hopeless.

what OS and type of editing?

Linux Mint, Windows XP, and possibly Google Chrome.

Editing requirements are minimal, just the facility to do stuff like cropping and automatic scaling of multiple prints to fit on A4. From what I've seen so far PhotoScape does this, and a whole life more, so I'll give it a go.

Longer term I'll probably dump the HP printer - It's no great shakes - and go back to something like a Canon Pixma.

shame Win10 will put 4 images on a sheet, and Photo's app for Win10 will allow cropping scaling. All for free with win10.

advertisement

Back