advertisement

Unusually honest review!

Given the current level of performance of low priced DACs, the results don't surprise me in the slightest.

The honesty is a breath of fresh air however.

Where's the review? It's like measuring two meals & being disappointed with one before tasting them. Yes subjective reviews can be very misleading, but you can go the other way with objectivity & forget about the important thing: listening enjoyment.

Great now if the designer of that dac just set himself to fixing all of audios shortcomings we can give up.

Great now if the designer of that dac just set himself to fixing all of audios shortcomings we can give up.

I don't see any mention of "audio shortcomings" in that review. In fact I couldn't find any mention of audio "anything". Some interesting sweeps, though.

I presume that the exaSound is not in Purite's portfolio :D

Neither Exasound or Behringer I just thought the respective measurements might be of interest, obiously flowery anecdote would have been preferable !
Keith

I see you are up to your usual tactics again Keith.

Full marks for persistence though, considering the gaps in your knowledge base I'm surprised the audio intelligentsia on this fine forma still engage with you.

Personally I will consed that the staff in the office here find you quite amusing Keith which given that its Friday is no mean feat!

Neither Exasound or Behringer I just thought the respective measurements might be of interest, obiously flowery anecdote would have been preferable !
Keith

I can't say I was even that impressed with the measurements. It's hard to tell what's going on if you don't match the levels, and it seemed to be there was some confusion over which was which. But maybe that was just me not being that engaged with the post.

Where's the review? It's like measuring two meals & being disappointed with one before tasting them. Yes subjective reviews can be very misleading, but you can go the other way with objectivity & forget about the important thing: listening enjoyment.

I have to agree, what matters is which one allows you to enjoy music more. It's very odd Hi-Fi is pretty unique in being assessed by one method and actually used in a quite different way. Also I've owned too many pieces of equipment that measured extremely well and sounded terrible, or measured badly and sounded wonderful.

I have never owned any piece of equipment that measured well and sounded bad, how could it?
On the other hand I have heard poorly measuring equipment sound if not bad certainly not to my taste.
Keith

I have never owned any piece of equipment that measured well and sounded bad, how could it?

Come on Keith, you've been doing this for 10 years. You should know by now that measurements, while extremely useful, simply do not tell the whole picture?

Yes they do.
Keith

No they don't. What about the casework, price tag and the gushing reviews in the audiofoo press? All stacks up to making a 'Night and Day' difference to ones bragging rights, ownership proposition not to mention hearing!

Why does he have results that differ by almost 10db for the same dac for the same test in two different graphs. In one test the exasound Is minus 130db then almost minus 140db when tested against the mytek.

thanks to Keith for posting this! combing through ASR made for an enjoyable afternoon of hungover hi-fi reading. however, seems like many questions have been raised but not, to my mind, adequately answered about the quality of the measurements, particularly in his reviews of the Uptone Audio LPS-1 and the microRendu. i'd love to know if anyone's been able to confirm his findings -- Google didn't have much to reveal on that front.

advertisement

Back