advertisement

System pics 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's happened with pictures hosted on photobucket? I'm just getting messages about upgrading my account in place of photographs.

Very "70's Sci-Fi movies" looking display, not sure about overall design but if it sounds...

Yes, I'm agree about strange design (to put it mildly), especially since the price is about 25 000 euro. But it sounds fantastic, and it's not a figure of speech.

DSCN3509_zpsifah3rej.jpg

Beautiful system, love your amp, is it the 30 watt Class A one?
How does it drive the speakers, can you tell me how large your room is in meters ?
Thanks

Just tidied it up, moved DAC and phono stage into top drawer as it was triggering my OCD.

Modified TD125/3009/VMS20
Lehmann Black Cube SE
Richard Allan A21
Pro-Ac Ebony Tab 10s on Target R4s

Digital is Jriver via SSD in a Gigabyte Brix into a cheap Chi-Fi DAC.

Hoping for a cart upgrade before christmas, not sure what yet but a Goldring Elite is calling to me.

Crap phone pics.

Richard Allan A21

How do you find the Richard Allan stands up to modern amplifiers? I recently found out from the Interesting Ebay Auctions thread that they and the JE Sugden version were made in a factory about 100m from the house I lived in in Cleckheaton in the 1970s. I never knew. I now feel I have to get hold of one but I'm not sure how likely they are to a) sound any good or b) be a fire hazard due their age. Any thoughts on their sonic qualities or what pitfalls to avoid when buying would be much appreciated.

I especially fancy an A51 that actually has 'Made in Cleckheaton' printed on the front.

How do you find the Richard Allan stands up to modern amplifiers? I recently found out from the Interesting Ebay Auctions thread that they and the JE Sugden version were made in a factory about 100m from the house I lived in in Cleckheaton in the 1970s. I never knew. I now feel I have to get hold of one but I'm not sure how likely they are to a) sound any good or b) be a fire hazard due their age. Any thoughts on their sonic qualities or what pitfalls to avoid when buying would be much appreciated.

I especially fancy an A51 that actually has 'Made in Cleckheaton' printed on the front.

I've had several, there's something about them. I've preferred them to all sorts of modern stuff, the list is too long to type.

I was sceptical before I first heard one as I had already written it off as an 'old soft, warm amp' just based on other things I'd heard from the period. I couldn't have been more wrong, it's detailed, solid, nimble, nothing like what you'd expect from an old solid state amp.

I think this is my 4th original Sugden/Allan A21 and this one isn't going anywhere, for the money I don't think anything can get near it. Sugden will still service it so if you pick one up and are worried about it's condition then just send it over to them, in all honesty mine could do with a service but it's not bad enough for me to go to the hassle of boxing it up and sending it to them.

So long as you aren't a head banger then I'd say give one a try. Make sure it's a full Class A model, I don't think the rest are up to much.

Do the Obelisks work that close to a wall? I'd eventually like to swap my Larcs for a pair..

They prefer space around them but I'm using a minidsp for room correction.They are more flexible than most speakers and I've had them tucked away behind a sofa in the past.

Is the room really big, or are these just nowhere nears as big as I imagined?

They aren't very big, probably around knee height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back