advertisement

Hugo or Qute EX?

I'd forget the qute ex and go fir a 2qute at a the same sort of money for an early hugo. It's so much better than the ex with the same gate array as the hugo

I posted this some time ago and bought the EX for a very good price but mainly because I was put off by the Hugo needing new batteries after a while. I still have the option to return it and get the Hugo. Y’all seem to think this would be better. Must also say adding this EX to my Squeezebox has just been amazing. The amount of detail is fantastic.

I posted this some time ago and bought the EX for a very good price but mainly because I was put off by the Hugo needing new batteries after a while. I still have the option to return it and get the Hugo. Y’all seem to think this would be better. Must also say adding this EX to my Squeezebox has just been amazing. The amount of detail is fantastic.
Sounds like it's the 2Qute you need, but if you're happy with how it sounds now there's no rush.

Update. I now have the Hugo to demo v the Qute ex. First impressions are that the Hugo is more ‘quirky’ as in you need to select the input every time you turn it on. Not sure about the cross fade filters. I like the line level feature though. But so far the Qute ex is better via the BNC connection than the Hugo is through it’s coaxial due to there being much better bass, although my cable is a budget one. Surprised it didn’t have a BNC. Other than that I’d say so far there is not much between both, a better coaxial cable may make a difference. If not then the Hugo will go back.

neilo7
I've never knowingly heard either of those units but there was an interesting thread on the Naim forum (no, wait, realy it was interesting) comparing the 2Qute and the Hugo. The conclusion seemed to be that the 2Qute's USB input rendered it preferable in a domestic setting, giving an advantage to the (designed for portability) Hugo. There were other points made too so it might be worth your while searching there.

Note that the crossfeed function should only ever be used with headphones as it will mess with the stereo image with speakers.

The addition of a better digital cable has sorted any issues I had. I’m now quite happy with this set up.

Update. I now have the Hugo to demo v the Qute ex. First impressions are that the Hugo is more ‘quirky’ as in you need to select the input every time you turn it on. Not sure about the cross fade filters. I like the line level feature though. But so far the Qute ex is better via the BNC connection than the Hugo is through it’s coaxial due to there being much better bass, although my cable is a budget one. Surprised it didn’t have a BNC. Other than that I’d say so far there is not much between both, a better coaxial cable may make a difference. If not then the Hugo will go back.

try the small chord mojo, quite a few prefer the Mojo over the Hugo or Qute even if its much cheaper.

I actually preferred the Qute HD to the 2Qute. The 2Quote had more detail but I found the Qute HD more coherent, organic and a bit snappier. Was using a Mark Grant coax with BNC.

advertisement

Back