advertisement

Room Correction with coax input/output

G

Guest432

Have been playing around with REW and exporting the filters for Roon convolution and have been quite impressed with the improvement.

I can't seem to find any room correction units that have RCA coax input and output plus analogue (for TT)

Roon ROCK (Intel NUC) > USB > Audiophilleo > Coax > Border Patrol DAC

TT > Whest Phono > Balanced XLR > Modwright KWI200 (integrated amp)

The miniDSP DDRC 22 with DIRAC has optical , coax and AES/EBU input and output.
There is also the openDRC DI which uses acourate or brutefir or whatever you want to generate filters ..its $299 compared to the DDRC which is $899 ..but it only does 24/48

Sorry should have said I also need an analogue input for the phono stage.

I was looking at the DDRC24 as it has analogue plus Dirac live included but only optical.

If you want to avoid DIY, the 4x10HD will give you all the connectivity you require including balanced analogue input, however you'll have 8 redundant analogue output channels if you use your own DAC. Its not available with DIRAC imbedded however. I use a DDRC22D upstream for digital streaming only at present. TT connected directly to 4x10HD.

Failing that, DIY is probably your only option from MiniDSP. A MiniSHARC kit with DigiFP and AN-FP boards would give you XLR analogue-input and coax digi in/out.

The Behringer DEQ2496 has an ADC and DAC, but only XLR inputs. You could get RCA-XLR cables. The ADC and DAC will not be the best though by most accounts although when I tried to use a turntable that way I didn't notice any issues.

I had a set up where the phono stage went to the Behringers 'Main In' (its ADC), and my CD Transport to its 'Digital In'. You can easily control which one goes to the amp by the Behringers In/Out menu.

I'm not aware that you can transfer the REW filters directly to the Behringer. I adjust it manually.

I had a DEQ2496 a while ago but couldn't get on with it so was sold.

May have to with the minidsp DDRC-22D and look at the TT later.

Annoyingly the UK price is £1200 but buying from the US inc import duties is around £700.

I use the 4x10hd ( which I found better sounding than the Behringer) which has both digital and analogue inputs/outputs. These are also both available single ended or balanced, though the balanced are on terminals, so your XLR cable will have to connect with bare wire.

I use both the RCA and balanced inputs, single ended for my phono stage and balanced for my dac. There is no switching as such between these, but I just turn off what isn't in use.

Have already ordered the DDRC-22D so will ignore the TT for now as it is rarely used.

Comes in at £780 inc all import costs, still cannot believe it is £400 more from a UK dealer :(

I use one..exceptional device ..easy to use as well.
Whats really critical is your first measurement which must be exactly in the sweet spot
You could use an AD converter to get digital from your TT ..
Just be aware of one thing , DIRAC applies a -10db attenuation to the digital signal.. you can set it to -6 or -3 db but you might run into digital clipping... ..at -10db you might run into gain issues in that you cant get the music loud enough with soft recordings

DDRC-22D arrived and first run sounds fantastic, really surprised how much this improves the sound. I was expecting the right speaker to have a lower bass response as it is partially enclosed by the sofa but it's a massive difference..

spectrum by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

It's the corrected response after the filter is applied, red line is the target response and green is the corrected output.

Here is one with the measured response in blue and the corrected response in green...

spectrum2 by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

It's the corrected response after the filter is applied, red line is the target response and green is the corrected output.

Here is one with the measured response in blue and the corrected response in green...

spectrum2 by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

Not to put a dampener on things but the green line isn't the actual corrected response at the listening spot, rather it's an average of the corrections applied based on all of the 9 measurements you took. If you want to see the before/after response at the listening spot you'll have to use RoomEQ Wizard. The easiest way to do this is play Pink Periodic Noise and take a screen capture of the RTA first with Dirac bypassed and then with Dirac engaged. I guarantee it won't be as ruler flat as the green line suggests, but it will still usually be a SIGNIFICANT improvement on the uncorrected response so I wouldn't worry too much about it...

What was the total cost in the end inc duties and carriage?

I've got a thread running looking for a second hand DDRC-22D, but nobody willing to sell so far - If you decide to get rid of yours, please think of me!

Cheers. Bill

The easiest way to do this is play Pink Periodic Noise and take a screen capture of the RTA first with Dirac bypassed and then with Dirac engaged. I guarantee it won't be as ruler flat as the green line suggests, but it will still usually be a SIGNIFICANT improvement on the uncorrected response so I wouldn't worry too much about it...

This.

I too use Dirac and room correction, however you do it, is by far the biggest improvement you'll make and I've heard it do the same to several other rooms I'm familiar with through bake offs.

Try that curve with a control point at 100hz up a db or 2 for a nice midbass
like this....
21687963_813882538792349_108593329096021943_n.jpg

advertisement

Back