advertisement

Nikon D850

Cesare,

There was a time when we'd have a first-hand user's perspective by now. :-(

Joe

Agreed but this is a professional camera and it would make little sense to use it with lenses that aren't capable of realising it's potential. I've seen a comparison of images taken with my D810 and latest the 24-70 against the D850 with the exact same lens and, with that lens, the D850 produces an image that is quite clearly more detailed etc. Now that's an expensive lens as is, for example, the 70-200 FL but these are the level of lenses that the D850 needs to be used with to really excel. It's a pro camera and it's meant to be used with pro lenses. Perhaps it's analogous to having a high-end turntable and fitting a cheap cartridge.

If I had, say, a D750 and a collection of medium grade lenses I'd know that the D850 would make little sense in pure IQ terms as the lenses would hold it back. There are of course many functional advances that the D850 brings regardless of lens choice.

My point was that Lefty was discussing the merits of going with older generation primes, so in that context, the 850 is going to struggle, especially in the corners. As I said, you'd need to stop down, then you'll end up diffraction limited.

Anyhow, with a nice shiny new set of zooms and primes, you'll *still* have diffraction limit problems if you need lots of depth of field, say, f/8 and above. However, you'll see the benefit in the centre of the image for portraits and stuff like that. Anyhow, I think we agree unless i've misunderstood your point.

Hope to see some decent images soon, not been impressed at all whats been shown so far

I fondled one in my local Jessops on Friday. The ergonomics are what surprised me the most. Feels very different in the hand (in a good way). Better grip and the dedicated AF point selection joystick, the touchscreen and the tilting screen are what will probably make the biggest difference in day-to-day usage. The AF was also also superb (as expected).

Having said all of that, I won't be getting one until they are available second hand at reasonable prices. My first 'proper' outing with the D800E at 05:30 in the morning yesterday and the resulting images convinced me that the D800E is more than good enough for me. I shouldn't be surprised really. It's the first time I've really 'tried' with the D800E if that makes sense? Needless to say it passed with flying colours :)

Lefty

I can see a potential problem with the D850 send it to me and I will check it out for free.

;-)

Pete

Reactions: ron
And I will double check Pete :)
I am actually not always convinced that the latest is the greatest based on my past experience and not knocking this amazing pixel popping Nikon D850 as it seems to be a very capable tool. I still have a Nikon D3x that is hardly used and never felt the need to have more pixels as the 24 mp seems more than enough for most situations. In the same manner my Leica M9P even with 18 mp is still a very impressive machine and to some extent the lenses make a big difference to the final image quality. But......if I were tempting an upgrade or change then the Nikon D850 would be well worth investigating.

The D3X is a great camera. The D850 beats it in every measurable and ergonomic way. But then if a D3X or whatever meets your needs then it’s all the camera you need. I have the D850 but, if I’m totally honest, it’s more than I need for 95% of shots. I think we’re at the stage where, if you’ve got a halfway decent body, the quality of the lenses you have is more important.

I've been wanting a fullframe but after trying out the DX D500 the AF was way infront of anything else I've tried and I've tried quite a few .Fast AF is important for me for birds in flight especially in low light or with busy backgrounds. I wanted a D5 but couldn't stretch to one of those so went with the D500. If I keep the D850 I can sell the D500. Just hope the D850 AF is at least as good as the D500

Just out of interest, when was the last time you felt 'held back' by your current nikon DSLR? I'd honestly not worry about the latest camera offerings as you seem to produce great results with what you have. It's more of the same, rather than a different experience if you see where i'm coming from.

Just out of interest, when was the last time you felt 'held back' by your current nikon DSLR? I'd honestly not worry about the latest camera offerings as you seem to produce great results with what you have. It's more of the same, rather than a different experience if you see where i'm coming from.

Thanks Cesare - I agree 100% re: not needing the new kit. It's just the geek in me looking to benchmark performance of the newest devices in the same way that it's interesting to know the 0-6o times of supercars (even though I will never own / have the need for one) :D The D800E I have is superb (and available for less than 1/3 the cost of a D850). I'd sooner get a new lens (16-35/4 or 105/2.5 Ai-s) than a new body.

Lefty

I just hope Nikon get it 100% right, after the considerable kerfuffle a few years back regarding the D600.
I had to send mine back to Nikon several times for sensor cleaning. They finally admitted the sensor design was faulty, allowing dust to get in, and they replaced the mechanism on my camera.
I think a lot of people got hit by that and like me, got suspicious of Nikons for a while.
I've got too much money invested in Nikon lenses to move to another brand.

The weather was poor again today so just a quick shot of a Pigeon under low light with the 200-500 at 500mm f5.6.
I doubt any of my shots will get the most out of it especially with birds but I want to try out Landscapes soon as I can find a decent wide angled lens (only lens I need) . I've only got a DX Tokina 11-20 , luckily all my other lenses are FX

850_0136_DxO D850 200-500 500mm f5.6 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

advertisement

Back