advertisement

Trip to England, your advice please

Also Nottingham, my home town. I realise that it is not on the regular trail, but a unique and underrated city nonetheless.
The castle with all the Robin Hood stuff.
A lovely river embankment.
Unique caves under the City.
Several of the oldest pubs in England
The Lacemarket.

And Nottingham Goose Fair.. which has been held starting the first Thursday in October for more than 600 years...

:)

I take it nothing exists north of Watford?

Oxford and Cambridge are north of Watford. I love Scotland, my wife and I went there on our first holiday, but I wouldn't send an Israeli there in October.

Arye is from Haifa. Half my and my wife's families are Israeli or live in Israel, including her parents. (My in-laws live 2 minutes from Teddy Pardo.) Sending an Israeli on a pub crawl around Liverpool or Nottingham is very amusing given there is no drinking culture in Israel. I live in England and haven't had a drink in a pub for as long as I can remember. My office is next door to a pub and in 8 years I've never been in it.

There's a reason why 19 million tourists visit London, because it's one of the greatest cities in the world. Tower of London, Westminster, South Ken (Natural History and V&A), Greenwich, Hampton Court, Tate Modern, St Paul's, the wobbly bridge and Selfridges (all Israeli's go to Selfridges) will fill a week in London easily. Plus a day trip to Oxford, easier than Cambridge as the train station is central.

And there's also a great Israeli restaurant in town, at last.
https://www.standard.co.uk/goingout...ews-honey-smoke-sweet-sensation-a3384946.html

We shat it re those passes, well my wife and daughter refused point blank to drive them so we didn't.

I thought I had seen some really amazing places on the West coast of Scotland but Wast Water is just out of this world and is up there with some of them an amazing place though a bit like Glencoe atmosphere wise, creepy even, but stunning.

My wife did scream out loud on a couple of occasions.......a fantastic drive...

You could go to the birthplace of the industrial revolution:

ironbridge_gorge.jpg

Ironbridge (the first one in the world)

or to a historic castle attached to a medieval walled town in beautiful countryside and with a culture of food and drink (maybe not Kosher though)

2518119_1973f361.jpg

Ludlow

Lots to see and do in England away from London and crowded Oxford.

Oxford and Cambridge are north of Watford. I love Scotland, my wife and I went there on our first holiday, but I wouldn't send an Israeli there in October.

Arye is from Haifa. Half my and my wife's families are Israeli or live in Israel, including her parents. (My in-laws live 2 minutes from Teddy Pardo.) Sending an Israeli on a pub crawl around Liverpool or Nottingham is very amusing given there is no drinking culture in Israel. I live in England and haven't had a drink in a pub for as long as I can remember. My office is next door to a pub and in 8 years I've never been in it.

There's a reason why 19 million tourists visit London, because it's one of the greatest cities in the world. Tower of London, Westminster, South Ken (Natural History and V&A), Greenwich, Hampton Court, Tate Modern, St Paul's, the wobbly bridge and Selfridges (all Israeli's go to Selfridges) will fill a week in London easily. Plus a day trip to Oxford, easier than Cambridge as the train station is central.

And there's also a great Israeli restaurant in town, at last.
https://www.standard.co.uk/goingout...ews-honey-smoke-sweet-sensation-a3384946.html

With respect my friend I think you need to be a little less sensitive. Arye is asking about ways to see and experience Britain. I'd be surprised if he wants a guide as to how to duplicate the Israel experience in the UK, so your trumpeting of your knowledge of Israel is hardly relevant. London is a 'given', but the rest is hugely varied and I think my quip about Watford still has validity despite your response.( It is something of a northern UK 'truism' that many in 'That London', know little of life, or indeed geography, 'north of Watford'.)

Oxford and Cambridge both have their merits, obviously, and some interesting attractions, but it's also arguable that once you've seen one Oxford quad, or one set of incompetent Cambridge students falling out of punts.. you've seen them all..

Also, the fact that I mention pubs and clubs is simply information. I am not advocating a pub crawl.. That seems to be more a function of your apparent dislike of alcohol. In Liverpool the Cavern in particular ought to be on the itinerary of anyone with an interest in popular music. It is open from midday to late everyday, has free admission, live music, lots to see, and a bar from which the purchase of alcohol is entirely optional. It is visited by people of all ages, from all cultures and all countries.The thing is , there is no compulsion to enter any establishment just because I have mentioned it and there is no compulsion to consume alcohol if you do. All UK pubs serve soft drinks or coffee/tea. I also mentioned two cathedrals but I'm not religious at all, nor am I advocating conversion to Christianity. They are simply valid attractions.
Disappointingly, there is no bar in Liverpool Central Library... :rolleyes:

Mull

With respect my friend I think you need to be a little less sensitive. Arye is asking about ways to see and experience Britain. I'd be surprised if he wants a guide as to how to duplicate the Israel experience in the UK. London is a 'given', but the rest is hugely varied and I think my quip about Watford still has validity despite your response.( It is something of a northern UK 'truism' that many in 'That London', know little of life, or indeed geography, 'north of Watford'.)

Oxford and Cambridge both have their merits, obviously, and some interesting attractions, but it's also arguable that once you've seen one Oxford quad, or one set of incompetent Cambridge students falling out of punts.. you've seen them all..

Also, the fact that I mention pubs and clubs is simply information. I am not advocating a pub crawl.. That seems to be more a function of your apparent dislike of alcohol. In Liverpool the Cavern in particular ought to be on the itinerary of anyone with an interest in popular music. It is open from midday to late everyday, has free admission, live music, lots to see, and a bar from which the purchase of alcohol is entirely optional. It is visited by people of all ages, from all cultures and all countries.The thing is , there is no compulsion to enter any establishment just because I have mentioned it and there is no compulsion to consume alcohol if you do. All UK pubs serve soft drinks or coffee/tea. I also mentioned two cathedrals but I'm not religious at all, nor am I advocating conversion to Christianity. They are simply valid attractions.
Disappointingly, there is no bar in Liverpool Central Library... :rolleyes:

Mull

No worries, just been on a cathedral tour of Spain. Have no issue with good wine and Belgian beer, just don't do pubs. No problem with Up North, have an office in Manchester and a son in Leeds. Scotland is spectacular, but it needs time and good weather, and it would be silly to rush it. If I wanted to see Scotland from Israel, would fly direct to Glasgow and not come to London, but he wants to come to London. I've been through Northumberland, but it's a big drive. The South West I would suggest has many more options and is much better in October. I would give completely opposite advice for a trip in July.
My good friend from Haifa lived in Liverpool for 4 years and is probably the only Israeli who can do a near perfect Scouse accent. But you've got to be a Beatles devotee to go to Liverpool for the day to see the Cavern Club. Much easier to do the zebra crossing thing outside Abbey Road with all the other tourists.
Who know's what Arye's tastes are. Perhaps he could tell us.
p.s. Hofesh Schechter, one of Israel's leading choreographers, has his new show at Sadlers Wells. Had tickets last night. Was brilliant.

England:

Dorset for beaches and slightly less busy than Cornwall
Oxford and Cambridge for the colleges
Peak / Lake district for scenery
London for city excitement

Jason

Wigan - home of the Uncle Joe's Mint Ball, Vimto, a pier that isn't, and pie enthusiasts.

Direct connection to London Euston on the West Coast Mainline, only 2 hrs to one of the bleakest town centre railway stations in the country.

advertisement

Back