Apple Keynote. Have I missed something?

The actual functional differences between the X and 8 are:-

- Facial recognition instead of fingerprint
- Screen on X is bigger than 8P whilst overall phone is same size as 8
- Screen on X is very much better - resolution, contrast, OLED
- X case is seems to be nicer
- Some photo software processing, cameras are the same

All the processing etc stuff the same.

I very much like the idea of more and better screen without a massive phone. YMMV.

I got the impression the cameras were better in the X, especially the front one, the back one being similar to the one in the 8 Plus, but with more advanced image stabilisation or something. I need to go play with one, but I think I really like the new home-button-less interface, the swipe up to the task-switcher looks very cool and much slicker than either double clicking the old button or the taptic squeeze of the 6S.

I doubt I'll get one immediately, but it was far, far better than I was expecting. For a fair while now I've felt Apple were in decline or at least dropped the ball post-Jobs, but I really want this phone! I'll probably hold out until the XS or whatever they call it as my 6S is not at the age I look to change a phone (I bought it just prior to the 7 release), so has another year at least of really good battery life, but it is good to know that when I do want a new iPhone there is something significantly better. I'll be interested to read the in depth reviews and see what iOS11 brings.

I quite like the idea of it, particularly in conjunction with the watch. Most of the time that's all I need, just answering and making calls and texts etc. But I see that EE are the only UK provider at the moment so that's not going to work for me. And the x looks like it's the same size or similar to a plus model which are normally too big for me, but on the basis you don't need to carry it around with you all the time then it starts to make sense.

The X size is a really nice middle-ground between the 6,7,8 and the 6,7,8 Plus. The larger screen making it in effect bigger again, but in a smaller physical package.

The X size is a really nice middle-ground between the 6,7,8 and the 6,7,8 Plus. The larger screen making it in effect bigger again, but in a smaller physical package.

I'm not a fan of the phones getting bigger due to the hassle of carrying them about, but in conjunction with the phone/watch then it starts to make sense. I might get some AirPods just to see how I get on with taking calls through them from the phone.

It's mildly annoying that it's being touted as the first edge-to-edge, no button, no branding phone when that was kind of Andy Rubin's whole pitch with the Essential PH-1. Even if the PH-1 is flawed in many ways, not least nobody appearing to actually have one yet, it had that wow factor before this phone and it's about 40% cheaper.

Although I am still using my OnePlus One on PAYG and can't imagine replacing it until it actually stops working.. I've saved enough over its lifetime to buy an iPhone X or a really good laptop.

Also note you can get three pairs of really good jeans for the cost of this iPhone breXit and still have enough left over for Vortex Race 3 which is now available in ISO layout.

I use a one plus too the dual sim is great as i have one for pure data from work and my personal in the other. Very quick phones and nice looking too IMHO less than 1/2 price of an X

Build quality reliability and user experience all on a par with an i phone.

One of our lads dropped his and smashed the screen. It was less than £100 to get it fixed and I was impressed how painlessly they sorted it.

Yes, it would be the same as now.

I think the impressive bit from the keynote was not so much the hardware as the software, the new camera features are impressive, perhaps its being done elsewhere I don't know.

But the price, shit! the 8plus with decent memory is knocking on the door of 1k

I wish that android was better, or that microsoft hadn't bailed.

I agree, and it's a factor that makes it very appealing to me indeed.

I've had a 3g, 4s, 5s and now 7Plus. I do like the extra screen real estate of the plus over the standard 7, but after a year of use, the extra size of the plus model still feels less handy and useful in some ways - it's not really pocketable, and the width is just enough to make it feel a bit awkward sometimes in the hand.

A personal thing obviously depending upon the size of ones hands, but the same or fractionally bigger screen as in the 7 plus, but in the same effective body size as a 7, is a winner for me.

I'll be getting one.. :)

Cheers

The other potential problem with the price is that the iPhone has traditionally relied on the view that it was the best phone that Apple could make and therefore the best you could own.
By making the X at this obviously not for everyone price point they create a "proper iPhone" and "plebian iPhone" effect which I think, over time, might damage their brand and the unique positioning Apple has always enjoyed for its products.

I.e. if you cannot afford the iPhone X and have to look at what Vuk might call the Girlyman iPhones might you now be more likely to consider Samsung or else alternatives that compete on price (OnePlus 5) or give you iPhone X like wow factor (Essential PH-1). I might suggest that Jobs would have vetoed bifurcating the range like this on the basis of quality rather than function.

Or something like that, I have not had any coffee yet.

Matthew, it comes back to integration of software and hardware. I think these phones are too expensive, but I am not going to get a samsung because of it, their software is not as good, particularly if you own other mac stuff.

I'll wait to next year and see if whats happening in the X trickles around the range. The 6s is an excellent device so there is no rush.

The 6 series are excellent phones. I've had mine well over a year now, and have never had to reboot. It does the lot, from stereo source to calendars to phone calls seamlessly. I might change to an 8, but it's not a priority, and will buy the watch instead.

Yes, Apple do make expensive gear, but it lasts and the software is both well integrated and stable. Until Android catches up, there's no point in even thinking about changing.

Does the facial recognition s/w enable the FBI to extract the contents of the phone ? Just look this way sir..

The other potential problem with the price is that the iPhone has traditionally relied on the view that it was the best phone that Apple could make and therefore the best you could own.
By making the X at this obviously not for everyone price point they create a "proper iPhone" and "plebian iPhone" effect which I think, over time, might damage their brand and the unique positioning Apple has always enjoyed for its products.

The mistake was probably not calling the 8 the 7S. The current range is a bit odd as they have jumped from 7 straight to 8 without the S speed-bump/bug-fix/minor new feature release. They have done something similar before in that the 5C was never a high end phone, it was released from the off at the budget end (and was actually a really nice phone). I certainly saw a good few 5Cs out and about, so the budget aspect can't have been seen as too 'plebeian'. The current range is 6S, 8, 8 Plus and X, so a nice spread of budgets and no bad phones. The thing that annoys me is they always restrict the storage on the budget model so people have to move up the range to get a really good iPod.

Does the facial recognition s/w enable the FBI to extract the contents of the phone ? Just look this way sir..

Yep, using the technology to unlock your phone is not where the real value is. I'm not sure I like the idea of where all of this is leading but that's where we're going and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

I wonder what the apple contract will stipulate in terms of who owns your digital face and who it can be passed on to. And of course what will happen in years to come when you click new 'terms and conditions'.

If you want use the watch separately from the phone - does it have to have a different telephone number?

I.e. if you cannot afford the iPhone X and have to look at what Vuk might call the Girlyman iPhones might you now be more likely to consider Samsung or else alternatives that compete on price (OnePlus 5) or give you iPhone X like wow factor (Essential PH-1). I might suggest that Jobs would have vetoed bifurcating the range like this on the basis of quality rather than function.
Or something like that, I have not had any coffee yet.

It may be a combination of factors:
1. Wanting to mark the 10 year anniversary.
2. Shortage of some parts to have X features in all new IPhones.
3. Good old profit maximisation.
I doubt this bifurcation will continue for long. But that also raises the question of what will next model will be called : 8S, 9, XI ? My personal feeling is that the X will become the standard for future IPhones and we will go back to 2 models sized X and XPlus.

advertisement

Back