advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

Price is about right for the apparent condition, they can go from £400-600 on the continent, and still a well spec'ed speaker which is supposedly designed for digital audio. Doubt the midrange is as good as the NS1000, the beryllium dome is supposed to be quite special. The last decent pair I saw on the bay were pictured with a pair of NS1000's, and he wasn't selling those...think they went around the £400 mark.

I take it back, £861 is pretty mental.

I am enjoying my AX-Z711 so much that I have abandoned my search for a Z1010TN (I really don't think I could hear the difference) & delivered it to Arthur, my service guy, to fix the non-working display window lights.

Arthur asked if I wanted anything else checked & I said no, because it all sounds so good... but driving back I remembered that several on this thread have referred to checking/adjusting the bias of their Z1010TNs.

I have just read this article http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/bias_e.html , but I am still unsure as to whether it is better to leave it alone or not ?

Anyone with knowledge of such matters have any particular thoughts either way, please ? I did receive the full service manual with the amp & have left it with Arthur in case needed.

Always worth checking, and for bad caps too, these amps are getting on a bit now. You only know the sound it makes as a 30+ year old amp.

In mine I found four leaked caps, 2 on the regulator board and two on the phono board, all 2200uf IIRC.
Replaced them, improvement. I then let it settle down for a while and adjusted bias to within 1mv of spec, a noticeable improvement in sound.

Thank-you, gentlemen, will proceed with caution !

Btw, whilst posting I noticed a pm from another member who has recently had a "badly packaged & not as described" experience when buying a JVC CD player via Marktplaats, shipped internationally (to UK, I presume). I'll share the essential part of my reply, as The Netherlands can be a good source of "golden era" JVC audio equpiment :

Marktplaats - and the Dutch - can sometimes be a problem and "optimistic" with their descriptions (I have found the Germans much more reliable) ... Marktplaats has the "Zo goed als nieuw" description option which is often used for items that I would describe as "Good, used", but no better. Since having an "insufficient packing" experience like yours, I ALWAYS ask for great care to be taken in packaging and must say that since then, everything has been packed well.

Marktplaats is now owned by Ebay, but without all the Ebay seller ratings, many sellers don't give a sh*t, as appears to be the case with your purchase, so without PayPal, you are in a very difficult position.

I would suggest writing to Marktplaats, copying your complaint to Ebay in The Netherlands (which exists, but is not yet widely used) & be persistent.

... - use the contact/complaint form linked to this page https://help.marktplaats.nl/help/Sug...hten-doorgeven and use Google Translate to understand (remarkably good these days, if far from perfect).

Write to Marktplaats in English (they will probably reply in English, unless they think it needs to be a formal, legal reply, in which case it might be in Dutch).

Correcting the bias did make a noticeable improvement with my amp which was NOS (it was still set incorrectly).

i JT, hope all is good...and as you've got a new audio box you're pleased with, why shouldn't it be?

I did receive the full service manual with the amp & have left it with Arthur in case needed.
Any chance you could borrow that service manual back from Arthur and make it available? It is available online already, but it's difficult to read in many places, so a fully legible copy would be much appreciated if you get a chance.

Btw, whilst posting I noticed a pm from another member who has recently had a "badly packaged & not as described" experience when buying a JVC CD player via Marktplaats, shipped internationally (to UK, I presume).

I suppose all good things come to an end. I'm sure the majority of Marktplaats sellers are still fine, but when money becomes the focus, things tend to deteriorate. My only experience of Marktplaats was trying to discuss purchasing an amp from a Dutchman that had pretty poor English. I'm sure a few must exist, but perhaps it's xenophobic of me to even think this?

Hi JT, hope is good...and as you've got a new audio box you're pleased with, why shouldn't it be?

Any chance you could borrow that service manual back from Arthur and make it available? It is available online already, but it's difficult to read in many places, so a fully legible copy would be much appreciated if you get a chance.

I suppose all good things come to an end. I'm sure the majority of Marktplaats sellers are still fine, but when money becomes the focus, things tend to deteriorate. My only experience of Marktplaats was trying to discuss purchasing an amp from a Dutchman that had pretty poor English. I'm sure a few must exist, but perhaps it's xenophobic of me to even think this?
Not if you feel the same about all nationalities, including your own ��

I brought my m-3030 from marktplaats, easily negotiated on the price and delivery, arrived well packaged and unharmed. No excuse for poor communication with Google translate, and always worth paying with PayPal ��

Of course, it's now mine so it'll come back with the amp... but it's quite some pages including a large fold-out diagram of the entire wiring circuit AND it's for my Z711, NOT a Z1010TN. I'll scan and upload to HiFiEngine when I get it back (I could also send you a copy, but I just looked and couldn't find your email address, although I'm fairly sure I had it...).

As for the Dutch.. and forgive me, this is going way off topic, but let me put it this way : I live in a beautiful rural location near Amsterdam, one of Mondrian's favourite spots, with great neighbours; I know many delightful Dutch people... BUT, having lived in six different countries (UK, US, India, Spain, Italy & NL), this is the only one that when I finally leave I won't look back for one second, but will release a huge sigh of relief. I'd better say no more... (except, "Yes, Italy, I'm coming back one day :)")

Au contraire, you should say more! Very curious as to your dislikes of the Netherlands. Oh, i'm neither Dutch nor live there BTW, so nothing in it for me

Of course, it's now mine so it'll come back with the amp... but it's quite some pages including a large fold-out diagram of the entire wiring circuit AND it's for my Z711, NOT a Z1010TN. I'll scan and upload to HiFiEngine when I get it back (I could also send you a copy, but I just looked and couldn't find your email address, although I'm fairly sure I had it...).

As for the Dutch.. and forgive me, this is going way off topic, but let me put it this way : I live in a beautiful rural location near Amsterdam, one of Mondrian's favourite spots, with great neighbours; I know many delightful Dutch people... BUT, having lived in six different countries (UK, US, India, Spain, Italy & NL), this is the only one that when I finally leave I won't look back for one second, but will release a huge sigh of relief. I'd better say no more... (except, "Yes, Italy, I'm coming back one day :)")

I forgot to mention that yesterday Arthur showed me a complete JVC SD1 series he has in for sale at EUR 1,950.00. The amp is very rare and the last one I saw was for sale at GBP 3,500.00 (amp only) & I have never seen the complete set for sale before !

This is the whole set : amp, CD player (with the final iteration of the K2 anti-jitter circuit), cassette deck and tuner, all with a single remote control :

http://hifistereo.nl/online_bestellen/11836/product.html#prettyPhoto

It looked in excellent condition, although I prefer the look of my black Z711 versus both the SD1 (it's a kind of light champagne colour like my Luxman) and the titanium Z1010TN.

Very curious as to your dislikes of the Netherlands. Oh, i'm neither Dutch nor live there BTW, so nothing in it for me

Curious too. I do live in Amsterdam, and we all have our "Bad Dutch" days,
but every place has both good and bad sides.

Not if you feel the same about all nationalities, including your own ��

'Tis very easy to cause upset on forums, which it's why many folk keep comments to themselves. Apologies for your implied offence.

My comment on the Dutch was a complement, as they often read, write and speak English as second, third, etc., language better than natives. I don't know the Netherlands very well, but if the UK and other countries had cycling facilities and legislation that was half as good as they do, the world be a much safer, happier and healthier place to live. I'll say no more.

Of course, it's now mine so it'll come back with the amp... but it's quite some pages including a large fold-out diagram of the entire wiring circuit AND it's for my Z711, NOT a Z1010TN. I'll scan and upload to HiFiEngine when I get it back (I could also send you a copy, but I just looked and couldn't find your email address, although I'm fairly sure I had it...)

Sorry, I was wrongly assuming the Z1010TN manual. It would be asking a lot of you, but I'm sure HiFiEngine and their subscribers would appreciate it (if it's not there already) ,if/when you have time. Thanks for the offer, just the same.

Curious too. I do live in Amsterdam, and we all have our "Bad Dutch" days,
but every place has both good and bad sides.

I visit Amsterdam every year at ISE, love it.
I also used to have an office in Westerlo, one of my favourite towns ever.
I have had some wild some nights in the 'Contrast' bar, wonder if it's still there.
I used to get the ferry once a month and load up with booze and cheese.
So much so the lovely people there used to give me freebies!

Amsterdam is a wonderful city - lived right in the centre for several years.

I'll save any further comment on the Dutch for an appropriate Off Topic forum thread :p

Back to JVC.

I forgot to mention that yesterday Arthur showed me a complete JVC SD1 series he has in for sale at EUR 1,950.00. The amp is very rare and the last one I saw was for sale at GBP 3,500.00 (amp only) & I have never seen the complete set for sale before !

This is the whole set : amp, CD player (with the final iteration of the K2 anti-jitter circuit), cassette deck and tuner, all with a single remote control :

http://hifistereo.nl/online_bestellen/11836/product.html#prettyPhoto

It looked in excellent condition, although I prefer the look of my black Z711 versus both the SD1 (it's a kind of light champagne colour like my Luxman) and the titanium Z1010TN.

I've been tempted by the SD-1, JVC's only pure class A amp ? I think the amp alone was £3000 in 1996. I've seen the complete set on ebay for £3500, including the ultra rare standmount speakers. That's a good price he's offering.

Here's the final iteration of the K2 filter, Reimyo used it in their CDP-777 and stand alone DAC DAP-999 ;) the cdp looks like a beast!

remiyo_777.jpg

advertisement

Back