advertisement

Apple Keynote. Have I missed something?

They actually don't, the iPhone 8 is pretty much the same as the 6S I bought a couple of years back IIRC. The difference here is $999 should be about £750 pre-Tory Brexit, but the exchange rate is now terrible due to the Brexit collapse of Sterling and we get to pay 20% more for imports. This isn't just Apple, have a look at what say Nagaoka cartridges cost and the iPhone X looks positively good value! This will only get worse as we spiral down the economic shitter.
I should have put a smiley there.

But to take your point about a $999 item, that will pretty much without exception translate to £999. Not just Apple, but all sorts of other tech. Whatever the exchange rate, pre- or post-Brexit, tells you!

Original iPhone $499 10 years ago. +Inflation c$600.

iPhone SE with many time the performance, storage and lots more technology is now $350.

If you want the latest shiny things you pay more. In 2-3 years time they'll be $350 as well.

It was nice when $350 was £275 though.

And I remember a time I used to watch these live and be somewhat excited.

Animoji-FFS.

Apple doing a great impression of Microsoft under Balmer, who would have thought it.

.sjb

But not available until November. I quite liked the new watch. I've not bothered with them before but being able to use it as a phone makes it completely viable now so I might be tempted.

You can use the current one as a phone, although you do have to have your phone within Bluetooth range.
The aluminium watches also have a dreadfully cheap feel to them.
The stainless steel ones are worth having imho.

So whats cutting edge about this £1000 quid phone then? Seems like nothing that you cant get in a cheaper package to be honest. Apple seriously behind the curve

So whats cutting edge about this £1000 quid phone then? Seems like nothing that you cant get in a cheaper package to be honest. Apple seriously behind the curve

In what way is it behind the curve? It looks like an exceptionally powerful phone with a state of the art 6 core processor, fabulous screen, fabulous build-quality and user interface, and a remarkably good camera. I'm seeing a lot to like. The only thing I couldn't work out from the Keynote is if it has a Lightning connector, i.e. can you still use proper headphones with an adapter? That would be the deal-break for me. Sure you can do all the basics for half the price or less, but the same goes for any luxury item. I'll happily pay for quality, reliability and user experience.

The X looks a nice premium package if it all works as they say. Apple are widening their model range which is something they need to do as the market stagnates with more people holding on to their devices or not wishing to spend premium amounts for the latest technology. Apple will have their technology roll-out plan mapped out for several years and will only release what they need to to stay where they feel they need to be in the market. The price of mid-range handsets is declining and it looks like Apple are meeting that market segment by retaining older iPhone models at lower prices.

Dual cameras have been out for a while now, Facial recognition can be added to most any android phone via an app some also use iris scanners , wireless charging also around for ages there are better screens out there too for less money. So no innovation as far as i can see. You may like the OS but its integration is no better with other devices than Android in my experience and I have owned I Phones in the past

The actual functional differences between the X and 8 are:-

- Facial recognition instead of fingerprint
- Screen on X is bigger than 8P whilst overall phone is same size as 8
- Screen on X is very much better - resolution, contrast, OLED
- X case is seems to be nicer
- Some photo software processing, cameras are the same

All the processing etc stuff the same.

I very much like the idea of more and better screen without a massive phone. YMMV.

I very much like the idea of more and better screen without a massive phone. YMMV.
+1.

On an unrelated matter, I recently changed our wall-hung 32" bedroom TV for a 40" full HD set. The latter is lighter and physically no bigger, but oh-so-much-better. I imagine I'll have a similar experience when I update my 5 to an X.

Luckily my company uses Android phones as there's no way my employees would be getting a phone that costs more than their laptops (ie. The thing they can actually do useful work on).

We all use OnePlus phones that are killer at less than half the price (dual SIM too).

In what way is it behind the curve? It looks like an exceptionally powerful phone with a state of the art 6 core processor, fabulous screen, fabulous build-quality and user interface, and a remarkably good camera. I'm seeing a lot to like. The only thing I couldn't work out from the Keynote is if it has a Lightning connector, i.e. can you still use proper headphones with an adapter? That would be the deal-break for me. Sure you can do all the basics for half the price or less, but the same goes for any luxury item. I'll happily pay for quality, reliability and user experience.

Quite - as would I.

Mick

Luckily my company uses Android phones as there's no way my employees would be getting a phone that costs more than their laptops (ie. The thing they can actually do useful work on).

We all use OnePlus phones that are killer at less than half the price (dual SIM too).

I use a one plus too the dual sim is great as i have one for pure data from work and my personal in the other. Very quick phones and nice looking too IMHO less than 1/2 price of an X

Build quality reliability and user experience all on a par with an i phone.

advertisement

Back