advertisement

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

It does say 'new other' and is a 120v version so I would assume it was one of those old stock new in box from the US.

It does say 'new other' and is a 120v version so I would assume it was one of those old stock new in box from the US.

Yes, it does say "Brand new from Canada, only opened from box and tested. Super pre power amplifier, very special DAC and an excellent phono stage. Very special amplifier of a very high order. Very musical. See Pink Fish for the huge praise there is on this unit.

Being new it is 110v but for uk buyers a step down transformer will be provided with absolutely no detrimental effects"

Interesting, would be tempted if I didn't have one. Why would someone just open the box and then flog it on Ebay? Answers on a postcard.

I bought the amplifier JVC ax z1010 on basis of this thread so i thought i'd let you know my experience. The JVC replaced a AVI S21 integrated, speakers are Nubert Nuvero 60, sources are/were SBT with Teddy Pardo PS into audio GD dac (nfb28) and raspberry pi with IQaudio digi+ Using the K2 on the JVC and raspberry pi with IQaudio dacpro.

My amp history is Yamaha receiver, Naim nait 5i, nait XS, Sonneteer Alabster, Anatek a50 (brilliant, i kept this one) and an Avi S21. I listen to all sorts of music, Jazz ( Eric Trufaz, Miles, Blue note) rock ( Dave Matthews, Zappa, alternative) blues (Eric Bibb), classical on the radio.

I think this amp is fantastic, i love the AVI for its power en grip on complex music but after 9/10 o clock on the volume it can be a bit harsh.

The JVC has the power without the harshness and it can play really loud with ease. I listen at night a lot also and on low volume it is also very good. Bass and detail are there even on low volume. The K2 dac is a real surprise. The Iqaudio digiboard coax out into the dac sounds very good with a nice full presentation. In direct mode the K2 brings a little bit more treble/detail but on most music i use the normal setting as it sounds more natural.

I bought the FX 1010 tuner also with cable and fm (on outside antenna) and this is a nice source as well. Some stations are pretty close in sound quality to the raspberry set up.

So in short i think this is a great amp and can't see anything better in my system and room. I' ve had it serviced completely and love it so much that i bought a second one (back up...you never know) when the opportunity came.

I have been patiently waiting for an XL-Z1010TN to show up here in NL, but it seems this thread has spread the amp's reputation such that those who had one in the attic are now using them and those that come up for sale are gone in a flash...

In the meantime, I have snagged a Z711, little brother of the Z911 (immediate predecessor of the Z1010TN), & it is even better than I dared hope. I would be surprised if my old ears could hear the difference with a Z1010TN.

https://screenshot.net/4x3ppi0
(first time I have used this image sharing service)

It has a MM/MC phono stage (switch on the back) & both optical and coaxial digital inputs. As well as CD Direct, it also has D/A Converter Direct; the DAC does not have the famed K2 jitter reduction circuit.

It came with an XL-Z411 CD player with both coax out and also fixed & variable analogue outputs.

Both units are immaculate except for a tiny pinpoint scratch on the amp's fascia (you can see it in the photo but not when standing up - I will get a very fine line black marker to make it invisible). The nice lights that illuminate the bit rates in the amp's large right side panel are not working, although the German seller, who packed the units superbly and was very pleasant to deal with, insists they were working prior to packing. I expect a bulb or dry joint. Both remote controls and the Z711 user manual & service manual were supplied.

I also recently acquired a practically NOS JVC XL-Z441TN CD player to match the Z1010TN that I have yet to find... but this Z711 looks so good and I actually prefer the black over the titanium...

I imagine the Z711 is more than capable, If your looking for that K2 sound, the XL-Z1010, XL-Z1011 (different dac implementation) and the later XL-Z1050 CD players come up more often, and are cheaper ;)

There's always this if your looking for a step above the AX-Z1010TN : https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-tv-en-foto/versterkers-en-receivers/m1198705045-jvc-m3030-stereo-power-amplifier-uniek-en-vintage.html

I know it lacks the features, the dac and the preamp :D but it more than makes up in sound! and it has volume controls on the back, so a pre amp wouldn't be needed right away.

Blimey - that looks like a nuclear power station (in the best possible way) !
I just looked up the M3030 on HiFiEngine : the user manual shows 3 in a tri-amped configuration - 75+kg of vintage power, no central heating needed !

Hempknight : do you own one of these magnificent JVC monsters ?

As for the K2-equipped CD players, I think the XL-Z1050 is the one to go for, but if you already have a K2-equipped amp, or are happy with your exisitng DAC, they are not really needed.

Edit : as wonderful as I find that M3030, I think the only "power station-style" amp that would seriously tempt me would be a Pioneer M-22. Unfortunately, they are also "discovered" and good ones are usually quite expensive.

Yeah, I brought 1 while I was waiting for an ax-z1010, was so impressed I got another from NL about 4 months ago, and I couldn't resist an m-l10 either.... Probably gonna sell my 1010 lol

As for the K2 CD players, yeah the 1050 it's probably better.... But the transport is exclusive to that model, so no parts. The 1010/11 transports are fairly common.

It wouldn't match the cushions on my settee, so not interested in the slightest.

A couple of pics of mine...the pre has controls under a flap, and the selected input lights up in what seems at first to be a featureless metal area.
2m2et82.jpg

hraaly.jpg

Actually, lovely though they are, they're not in use at the moment, so I could be open to temptation!

And no dust jokes please...

A couple of pics of mine...the pre has controls under a flap, and the selected input lights up in what seems at first to be a featureless metal area.
2m2et82.jpg

hraaly.jpg

Actually, lovely though they are, they're not in use at the moment, so I could be open to temptation!

And no dust jokes please...

What speakers do you run with the m-l10?

Dust aside (lol) condition looks lovely, I wouldn't mind the pre if you would be willing to split? Are they UK spec?

I ran them both with Tannoy MG 12" and Urei 811As...I took the Urei / JVC pairing to Scalford a couple of years ago.

If you don't know the Ureis, these are an Altec 16" dual concentric with a blue foam horn. Time aligned crossover. Still my favourite speakers ever.

The P-L10/M-L10 are UK spec - bought them off the nephew of a JVC executive - but, no, wouldn't want to split them, sorry.

advertisement

Back