advertisement

Nikon D850

That film scanner widget looks neat... not that I need one. But if you've already bought the camera and have some slides or negs sitting around to be digitized, it would be a cheap way of getting high-res scans.

Joe

Think this will be the end of the 100th anniversary products? A Df replacement was rumoured but that's all I'll seen -- rumours.

Joe

I got hands-on with the D850 today at Grays and, ergonomically, it's spot on. Lovely balance and layout and the viewfinder is superb. They had a Nikon rep there to answer questions and, whilst you wouldn't expect anything other than positives from Nikon, I got the distinct sense that they are immensely proud of their new baby. Apparently the first batch are already in the UK but, for reasons unknown (my guess is that they haven't quite perfected the RAW conversion code), they don't hit dealers until the 7th. Allegedly they've already got way more pre-orders than units.

Excellent - thanks for the feedback Paul.

As soon as it's in wider circulation I will definitely be visiting my local camera shop to get my hands on one. (I will make sure I leave my credit card at home!) :D

There is a tour of UK camera shops being promoted by Nikon. I caught it on Twitter and emailed myself a link to the flier.

DIJHJ_gUwAEvl0M.jpg

There is a tour of UK camera shops being promoted by Nikon. I caught it on Twitter and emailed myself a link to the flier....

Wow! Does that mean I can go and actually.....touch one?

Sorry, I don't mean to be sarcastic, but everyone seems to be turning into a camera groupie.

I'll stay at home and feel up my F3......:eek:

One day I'll get an F2 Titan, quite possibly the best all-manual SLR camera.

8247156472_d5d2d54d6d_c.jpg

Joe

eternumviti,

Roughly $2k in good shape. It's hard to justify, given that I've mostly gone to digital and rarely shoot 35mm film. (I would if I had a reliable E6 processor, but it seems they've all closed up.)

I still shoot film, but medium format now.

Joe

I was going to get a D810 to go with my D500 but tempted to hold on now and get one of these after they had chance to iron out any bugs .

One day I'll get an F2 Titan, quite possibly the best all-manual SLR camera.

8247156472_d5d2d54d6d_c.jpg

Joe

It's a lovely looking camera, but i'm really not sure it's got much to offer than the fairly standard Olympus/Pentax cameras of that era offer, and much cheaper too.

Go any pick up a Pentax MX and marvel at the wonderfully large viewfinder that just blows away everything you get to see these days. It's got a light meter built in, and can tell the aperture you've selected (visible in the viewfinder through a clever window on the front of the prism), but it's a manual camera, so nothing much to go wrong other than the shutter to slow over time. Oh, and the shutter curtains are fabric, so tend to still be good these days.

The only thing to watch for with these is that the foam to reduce mirror bounce starts to degrade and can stick to the mirror - easy to find a replacement, but a bit of a fiddle. It's just like replacing the light seal, but with a mirror not to damage.

Cesare,

It's a lovely looking camera, but i'm really not sure it's got much to offer than the fairly standard Olympus/Pentax cameras of that era offer, and much cheaper too.
Sure, lots of other choices are available, and many of them far cheaper, but few SLRs look as nice as an F2 Titan. There's no logic in buying one today, especially at the typical asking price.

But they're sought after because they look cool and are rare -- and, importantly, because Nikon isn't in italic font.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/f2/variants/f2titan/index.htm

Joe

advertisement

Back