advertisement

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!

Chaps, been in touch with my Insurance people, and they want me to ship the cartridge to them for inspection, is this SOP for this type of thing?

Chaps, been in touch with my Insurance people, and they want me to ship the cartridge to them for inspection, is this SOP for this type of thing?

See my post 19, Tarzan; I know it was a long time ago, but I'd be surprised if they'd installed an audio expertise section. I rather think they'll simply offer you a compromise payment rather than attempt to either repair or replace it.

I suspect they just want to know you actually have the item and will then offer a price based on current retail replacement value.

I doubt they will actually get it inspected, more likely an anti fraud thing.

Yup, I had to send them mine.

They paid out full price of a new replacement, minus my excess. I was most impressed. Even though the cart was low hours it was, after all, used. Hope you get a similar outcome.

Thread update;

Insurance paying out, however have to pay excess.:)

l could do with some advice please, l am getting nervous about replacing the Black with another expensive cartridge, so am thinking of downgrading to something less expensive like a Cadenza Bronze, Hana SL or Ortofon 2M Black the latter as l have put a 2M Red on my deck and actually really enjoyed it!

l am asking these daft questions as l do not have bundles of experience with cartridges..........

Or should l stop being silly and replace the Black with a Black.......

Cartridges are very personal, like speakers. It's not always a case of paying more gets you something better. I bought my first DL103 as something to use whilst my very expensive Lyra was being rebuilt, and found that it did some things better than the Lyra, despite being a fraction of the cost. I'm currently using a Decca London Gold, because it's great fun to listen to, despite it's obvious shortcomings and it's theoretical incompatibility with my TT/Arm. If you are constantly worrying about the cost and fragility of your needle, you may be more reluctant to use it.

The sound l would like would be, full, MUSICAL and quiet in the groove.

My vote would be an AT33PTG/II, I've had a few costly cartridges but this is still the best £419 I've ever spent and in my opinion it fits your description.

You've made the claim. You might as well get another Cadenza Black or other top flight cartridge. What's the worst that can happen? Another claim. At least in the meantime you won't be regretting downgrading.

Done the same with my Delos this year. Direct Line paid out the exchange price less £100 excess. My insurance only went up by about £3 a month. It's a pain but it's what accidental damage is for.

If you are constantly worrying about the cost and fragility of your needle, you may be more reluctant to use it.
That's what I've noticed in my 30 years of using progressively more expensive MCs. Must get that 2M Black soon and see if I use, or even like, it more than the Kleos.

advertisement

Back