advertisement

QUDOS - the brilliant new amplifier boards from Avondale

That is what Les has written on the Avondale web site and I believe that design is in the final stages.
http://avondaleaudio.com/naim-audio-upgrades/
However right now you could still use the NCC-200 Amplifier with the HCR-200 Reg.
The Voyager Amplifier uses the NCC-200 with the VBE filter to the front end supply only.
http://avondaleaudio.com/audiophile-regulator-modules/
Alan

Hi Alan,
you are talking yourself into another voyager project with these new boards.

Got a package from Les this morning, a set of Qudos boards and parts to pop into my Voyager amp, some winter fun ahead.

This is sounding more interesting by the minute looks like Ill have to give Les a call ;)

Alan

Don't hang around!
I phoned Les a couple of days ago to order a pair and he's snowed under with demand for his new boards. He quoted me about 4 weeks before I get near the top of his list.
Worth the wait going by reports so far!

Peter

They are!

LesW graciously sent me a pair of built pcbs about the time this thread started. I need to write-up, but the test amp for now is a lash-up built into an older Deltec 100S case and not pretty (but matches the socketry on my system, inc weird DPA speaker cables - so a drop-in exchange for comparison). Sounds very good :)

Have a pair of bare pcbs here waiting to be built up and swapped into my NCC200 amp for comparison. As ever, lack of time is the enemy!

I ordered mine back in July, and am still waiting across the pond. Admittedly, there are some other goodies for the box that could be holding things up. ;)

My Qudos will be going into an old NAP 250 along with a pair of HCR200s. It'll be interesting to hear where they sound best in an active 3-way.

I ordered mine back in July, and am still waiting across the pond. Admittedly, there are some other goodies for the box that could be holding things up. ;)

My Qudos will be going into an old NAP 250 along with a pair of HCR200s. It'll be interesting to hear where they sound best in an active 3-way.

Hello Folks, as some of you will know, my assistant Mike has been very ill
the last few weeks with ascites and has lost three stones in weight during
that time. In between hospital visits to drain off what is sometimes as much
as 18 litres of fluid, he's been unable to produce his marvellous work in any
quantity so supplies of populated boards have been a little scarce to say the least.

Anyway, the boards for flash and others arrived yesterday and will be winging their way early next week.

Please accept apologies for the undue delay

Sorry to hear this Les. Best wishes to Mike. BTW the monoblock 110's have bedded in well and sound bloody great! So much more detail and control! My ES14's have never sounded so good! Thinking of giving some SBL's a try tho............

Loverly..... :) things of beauty - simple yet very elegant.

I suspect they epitomise the epithet that sometimes "less is more"

I'm currently using 2x mono 110's for my Revelation 2's and was going to build myself a 6 pack of "mono 110"s based on the NCC200, to convert my Revelation 2's from passive to active.

But (hope hope) if Les makes these boards available commercially, I'll be aiming for these instead.

I miss my Revelation 2's and wished I'd never sold them sometimes..great sound in a 6 pack...NCC200

I'm currently using 2x mono 110's for my Revelation 2's and was going to build myself a 6 pack of "mono 110"s based on the NCC200, to convert my Revelation 2's from passive to active.

Go to Voyager spec, I had the latest till Les upped the game again with Qudos...

700VA + the front end HCR, quite a step up from vanilla boards :D

Hi Graham,

Sorry you "sometimes" regret selling your Rev 2's, but I assure you they are really appreciated and I listen to them almost daily. Thanks for selling them. They are a superb speaker and everyone else who has heard them appreciates just how good they are (especially SWMBO who had a few doubts till she heard them). I haven't come across anyone else who owns a pair.

I'm looking forwards to going fully active.
What did you use for your active crossover when you had them ?
I have thought of trying the new Nytech active crossover (set to 3.4 KHz crossover point as recommended by Les) - any thoughts ?

http://www.nytechaudioshop.co.uk/ep...bjectPath=/Shops/thjcznaw5sxv/Products/NAS009

DDD, regrettably for all sorts of reasons the voyager route isn't an option for the foreseeable future.

I'm pretty sure I'll try the QUDOS route for my 110's, but I'll wait for a bit more feedback from those who have tried and hopefully compared them to the NCC200 before a final decision.

Hi Graham

Glad your still enjoying them....I used an White Noise active xover (op-amps) and found I preferred the x point to be 3k8. That was with the 6 pack not sure with a 4 pack but thats the beauty of DIY you can tweak till you get where you want to be..I built a xover for a friend using a Kevin Mount product two way xover with EQ..(see eBay) I think at the time they were £30 a board ready to go and very impressed I was too..

I'm just starting a little 4 pack active system (with a miniDSP) using the QUDOS amps. Ive spent the past few years playing with Class A amplification (A whole new world) The fact that Les has now incorporated a complementry pair and can be driven with high/er bias is just asking to be good. I did once run the NCC200s with a high bias well over 100mv but I did;nt have the right case work to get the heat away, I have now.....

So the build begins.....thanks Les

NCC220

38113367951_e22bca1565_b.jpg

Mini Cap 6

38113369211_d7ddc799fb_b.jpg

I'll post some more as it comes together...

advertisement

Back