advertisement

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!

Tarzan

pfm Member
Just trashed my Ortofon Cadenza Black, knocked the tip off:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Ortofon want around £1000 for a rebuild....mmmmm, at this point in time l am not too keen on spending this amount for a replacement, l am thinking around £500ish, and have a few options l am thinking of:

1. Ortofon 2M Black. ( Quite fancy trying MM.)

2.Benz Micro Ace. ( Have heard this with my Tonearm and it sounded lovely, albeit with VERY expensive partnering equipment.)

3. Hana SL.( have heard nothing but good things about this cartridge.)

T/T is Gyro SE/HR PSU/Orbe clamp/Audionote Arm 1

The sound l would like would be, full, MUSICAL and quiet in the groove.

Thanks for anysuggestions.

l am now going to beat myself up.:mad:

Might be worth checking your contents insurance policy as this may cover you for accidental damage.

Might be worth checking your contents insurance policy as this may cover you for accidental damage.

It worked for me some years ago when baby daughter decided to splatter the stylus across an album.

Oh no, that is hard to take. Have a large whisky. I've done it myself, but not for a cartridge of that value. However the insurance company did pay up, withouth any fuss. This was about £830, I think. The policy did go up the next year but I just went somewhere else for a better quote and the original insurer brought the price back down.

Ive done exactly the same thing to a Cadenza Black. Went through insurance and got full value back and bought a Lyra Titan and a Hana SL as a 'spare'. On reflection I much prefer the Hana to the Cadenza so I know what I would do in your shoes.

Did it with a Grasshopper. Collar of a nylon jersey caught the tip as I was trying to reach round the back to some cabling and yanked the cantilever out at a jaunty angle. The cart had very low miles on it which was the annoying part.

A rite of passage I'm afraid. Every audiophile needs to do it at least once on their journey. I've done it twice, an Ortofon MC10 Supreme and a Denon DL-103. Weapon of choice was a yellow duster both times.

Same thing here, though rather lower down the Ortofon food chain. Ensnared by a woolly sweater sleever when fettling some adjustments.

It may not be much compensation, but you're certainly not alone...

Ouch! Feel for you, am always very wary around my Benz Gullwing with it's nude stylus. Nervous every time I play a record TBH..

My aunt, stored a Gyrodec with her for twenty years, one flick with a 'yellow duster' and Vand Den Hul EM1c boron destroyed!
There is a pattern emerging.
Keith

ah one of the few things to cause heart attacks amongst our breed?

Some one needs to bring out clothing for record player owners with a guarantee that wont catch stylii etc;)

I gave up MC some time ago and am happy with my 2M Bronze - atleast an accident there costs only £230

A rite of passage I'm afraid. Every audiophile needs to do it at least once on their journey. I've done it twice, an Ortofon MC10 Supreme and a Denon DL-103. Weapon of choice was a yellow duster both times.

I have done it twice too. Once with an AT OC9 11 and the other with a Linn Troika.

The house contents policy paid out in full on both occasions much to my relief and to this day I retain accidental damage cover for this very reason.

Definitely a rite of passage but always a complete *unt when it happens!

I've done it too, my first MC, a Troika bit the dust.

My insurance paid up for a top of the line Linn, which was the Arkiva at the time.

The key thing to remember is not to tell them this happened whilst cleaning, because many policies will not cover for that. I guess although technically accidental, they might view it as 'careless'.

A four year old visitor put paid to mine, but it was genuinely accidental.

A fair settlement I thought for a good quality and not super cheap new for old policy. (5 star de facto) or whatever it is called.

Good luck to the OP.

No, the tip only ( l think)........contents insurance, the damaged item has to be named individually?

This usually only applies when the item is above a certain value. Would be worth checking with them.

Twice here, but oddly in the last 6 years, All the years I took less care 1965-87 I cannot remember doing it once.

Bloss

Unless you have a peculiar pollcy, it should have an accidental damage audio-visual section, regardless of the cover on the other contents. I don't know why the underwriters include this, but maybe not many 'high end hifi claims are made.

When I claimed for my Roksan Shiraz in the nineties, it seemed that below a grand, your premium would not be affected unduly. Above, and they would hike it.

The only caveat is whether your overall cover is adequate, but even then they'll only try to reduce the claim. I sent my cart. to them for assessment and of course they were clueless about these thing and didn't demur.

Of course ESCo or one of the others could probably refurbish your cart., but you should treat this as an opportunity to change/upgrade (esp. if your Cadenza had done a fair mileage !)

Unless you have a peculiar pollcy, it should have an accidental damage audio-visual section, regardless of the cover on the other contents. I don't know why the underwriters include this, but maybe not many 'high end hifi claims are made.

When I claimed for my Roksan Shiraz in the nineties, it seemed that below a grand, your premium would not be affected unduly. Above, and they would hike it.

The only caveat is whether your overall cover is adequate, but even then they'll only try to reduce the claim. I sent my cart. to them for assessment and of course they were clueless about these thing and didn't demur.

Of course ESCo or one of the others could probably refurbish your cart., but you should treat this as an opportunity to change/upgrade (esp. if your Cadenza had done a fair mileage !)

2.5 years old, done a bit of mileage- hard to gauge really.

advertisement

Back