advertisement

My maple Proac's have turned green. ?

Jodet

pfm Member
I've owned several maple speakers over the years. It's a nice hard wood with a beautiful grain and doesn't discolor (change color at different rates) like cherry often does.

I took the grills of my speakers and under the grill the wood has turned green. Seriously. Green. Like a yellow lime green.

Anyone have any experience with this? Might it go away in time? Is there something I can use to remove it?

I emailed Proac but their 'contact' form hangs when I try to send them an email. I wish they would just put an email address on their page.

there is a proac group on facebook , would it be worth asking there .or I would ring proac on 01280 700147

I took the grills of my speakers and under the grill the wood has turned green. Seriously. Green. Like a yellow lime green.

Usually it's the part that's not protected by the grill that changes color over time with UV exposure.

are they varnished? My Epos M12i are and the varnish has darkened under exposure to light - under the grills is lighter for some reason.

My PMC's did the same thing after about 2 years of ownership but were replaced with new speakers free of charge by PMC - holding true to their 20 year warranty

It sounds like the dye in the grill cloth might have reacted with the maple wood. Was the grill cloth on the speaker exposed to a lot of sun(UV rays)? Is the green on both speakers?Do you have any photos of the green colored area? A mild toothpaste can often remove water stains from wood finish but I don't know if it will work on the green areas. If they are under warranty perhaps an exchange is the best solution. I hope my Maple Tablette 10's don't turn green. I will keep the grill cloth off from now on.

It sounds like the dye in the grill cloth might have reacted with the maple wood. Was the grill cloth on the speaker exposed to a lot of sun(UV rays)? Is the green on both speakers?Do you have any photos of the green colored area? A mild toothpaste can often remove water stains from wood finish but I don't know if it will work on the green areas. If they are under warranty perhaps an exchange is the best solution. I hope my Maple Tablette 10's don't turn green. I will keep the grill cloth off from now on.

How old are your Tablettes? Mine are a year old.

I suggest the possibility that they were "green" all over when they were new, and the parts not protected by the grill mellowed with age.

I've experienced a similar thing with some kind of light coloured hardwood (possibly rubber wood).

I stripped and sanded down the original finish on a dining room table back to bare wood when it got a bit rough looking, then refinished it with some left-over clear varnish I had in the shed. The better-half then bought a sheet of heat-resistant material to cover the table to prevent it getting marked in the future. It now has turned a gentle shade of yellow-green - so has to be kept covered permanently now. So much for my sterling efforts..

Can't be UV, so I assumed it had to be some other change in the varnish itself, which is perhaps more easily noticeable on woods of a lighter hue.

Mentioned here btw - as a possible side effect of the finished wood being kept under wraps:

http://www.craftsman-style.info/finishing/048n-varnish.htm

I've seen a few used Proac floor standers for sale and some of them do show discolouration between the grille and non-grille areas. It's not so much about the wood turning green but the wood showing different tones in the finish.

advertisement

Back