• Lou Reed - New York

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • New Order - Technique

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Soul II Soul - Club Classics Vol 1

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At the time I would probably have said Technique but I havent listened to it in years...so Lou Reed.
I never rated the Roses either: Hermin's Hermits.

YES!!! another repulsion fan on PFM. bring on the best metal/grind album vote....

I seem to be the only person who has voted for Nirvana so far.

I'd like to vote for Repulsion - Horrified. But it was actually recorded in 1986 so I'm not sure if it counts.

The Stone Roses debut is the obvious one as, with the Happy Monday's Bummed from the preceding year, and several 12" singles it defined the Madchester scene. I'd prefer to pick something more club/techno/electronic though as that is what was really breaking at the time, but it was a 12" culture, not album (all the landmark Warp, Superstition, Harthouse etc albums came out a couple of years layer). The best I can come up with off the top of my head is 808 State's Quadrastate mini-LP on Creed Records as that indicated the direction of travel for sure. Over the next few years 808s, 303s etc were bleeping away in the better clubs across the land. Like many 1989 was the point I jumped ship from indie/rock to electronica, hence my choice here.

PS I played on an indie album released in 1989 (link)!

New Order was my favourite on the list of choices but this 808 State LP was released in late 1989 and is fantastic:

https://www.discogs.com/808-State-Ninety/master/25413

Hearing Doolittle for the first time was pretty much a life-changing experience for mecas far as my musical tastes go. Before that point It was basically MOR, prog, spliffs, and a very limited exposure to a wide range of music. Doolittle got me into Indie, then dance, techno and so.

The intro to Debaser still makes me jump around like a nutcase

YES!!! another repulsion fan on PFM. bring on the best metal/grind album vote....

Haha - good to know I'm not alone!

Some amazing records released in 1989...

Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Terrorizer - World Downfall

It was a great time to be 16 :)

I still play those records (and wear my Earache shirt with pride) :) I don't own any Autopsy LP's unfortunately. I will fix this TODAY!

Haha - good to know I'm not alone!

Some amazing records released in 1989...

Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Terrorizer - World Downfall

It was a great time to be 16 :)

I was surprised how dated the Stone Roses album sounds today. Awash with 80s chuffin' reverb and therefore lacking any real punch or clarity. That's ignoring it's literally, a "Can for the educationally challenged" album from start to finish.

Louder Than Love was released in 89 and thankfully, signalled the end of poodle perm rock.

Compilation it may be however "Eternity- Project One" probably deserves to be on that list.

The Stone Roses 'Fools Gold' is an absolute modern CLASSIC! but that LP just didn't resonate with me at all but predictably it is way out in front with The Pixies in second.

I was always a bit thick when it came to irony so if my irony radar is off again could one of the more intelligent pfm's point it out to me.

advertisement

Back