• Lou Reed - New York

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • New Order - Technique

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Soul II Soul - Club Classics Vol 1

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was a bit stuck on this one even though I was 19/20 Years old and should have been really up on this year I was exclusively listening to House Music and a bit of Reggae and took absolutely no notice of other music. The list above is pretty much the 10 best selling LP's (I think)

NO gets my vote. Around the time I also loved the De La Soul + Nirvana albums, The Iceberg/Freedom of Speech ... Just Watch What You Say! - Ice T, The Fall - Seminal Live, and Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique.

More recently Bonnie Raitt - Nick of Time, and The B-52s - Cosmic Thing have become favourites.

The Cure win that poll by miles with Disintegration.
Its been in my top twenty greatest albums of all time list since the day it was released.
I probably have more original copies of the Soul ii Soul club classic LPs than anyone really needs but i love em.
Keep on movin don't stop No.
Is a life statement.:cool:

From the ones on the list, The Cure with NO coming a close second.

Kate Bush's The Sensual World is the one most obviously missing from that list.

The Stone Roses is one of the best debut albums ever and was the soundtrack of the time.

As with the other Polls please if your favourites are not in the poll please dont feel you have to pick one, state your favourite in a thread and I will manually tally them all up at the end.

From the ones on the list, The Cure with NO coming a close second.

Kate Bush's The Sensual World is the one most obviously missing from that list.

The Stone Roses debut is the obvious one as, with the Happy Monday's Bummed from the preceding year, and several 12" singles it defined the Madchester scene. I'd prefer to pick something more club/techno/electronic though as that is what was really breaking at the time, but it was a 12" culture, not album (all the landmark Warp, Superstition, Harthouse etc albums came out a couple of years layer). The best I can come up with off the top of my head is 808 State's Quadrastate mini-LP on Creed Records as that indicated the direction of travel for sure. Over the next few years 808s, 303s etc were bleeping away in the better clubs across the land. Like many 1989 was the point I jumped ship from indie/rock to electronica, hence my choice here.

PS I played on an indie album released in 1989 (link)!

This
51WJ8osaccL.jpg
most excellent album should be on the list.
One must not forget the two excellent Talk Talk albums one just before 1989 and the one just after.:cool:

Had to look up Melody Maker's albums of the year to remind myself, and it was a good year for me: Young Gods' L'Eau Rouge, Spacemen 3's Playing with Fire, American Music Club's United Kingdom. Can't really decide between those 3. From the poll mebbe Pixies.

What a lousy year!!! Though for me Pharoah Sanders' "Moon Child" is very much the musical highlight of the year, and still possibly my favourite jazz recording - certainly my most played over the past 27 years.

The best I can come up with off the top of my head is 808 State's Quadrastate mini-LP on Creed Records as that indicated the direction of travel for sure.

The only ones I can think of are:

A Guy Called Gerald - Hot Lemonade
Coldcut - What's that Noise
Adamski - Live and Direct
Baby Ford - Ooo the World of...

The Stone Roses debut is the obvious one as, with the Happy Monday's Bummed from the preceding year, and several 12" singles it defined the Madchester scene. I'd prefer to pick something more club/techno/electronic though as that is what was really breaking at the time, but it was a 12" culture, not album (all the landmark Warp, Superstition, Harthouse etc albums came out a couple of years layer). The best I can come up with off the top of my head is 808 State's Quadrastate mini-LP on Creed Records as that indicated the direction of travel for sure. Over the next few years 808s, 303s etc were bleeping away in the better clubs across the land. Like many 1989 was the point I jumped ship from indie/rock to electronica, hence my choice here.

PS I played on an indie album released in 1989 (link)!

Hi Tony Jactars sounds good funnily enough reminds me of the great My dad is dead's 'The taller you are ' issued in 1989 :)

1989 a tough year! Of those listed I would plump for The Cure. Outside of the list Neil Young Freedom or perhaps The Blue Nile Hats or Tears for Fears as already mentioned.

Well, this has prompted me to pop Sensual World on. I haven't listened to this for ages. I am rather enjoying it.

advertisement

Back