advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-25 speaker cables

I am sorry but I do disagree, and I design not repair for a living, yes RF and skin effect is relevant, when I designed sonar kit at 40KHz and 100KHz your telling me the extra few Watts I got out was in my mind, mmm I then used NAFF kit. We had better tell The Royal Navy then that the kit I worked on in a design team we could just use 30A Cooker Cable because you say it is not relevant. God the money we could save, and I could have not bothered with a total of nine years at uni, and 40+ yrs of design work experience. What a waster I am.

litz_design_table2.jpg

Do note the 60Hz - 1KHz

Another good read and not crap is here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

Enjoy and read well.
i have no idea what the litz page is supposed to show, can you explain?
Also this passage;
"Skin effect, so you all see this as high frequency and not timing high speed edges, wrong. 1KHz I think most could hear that is 1mS, 100KHz is 10uS so lets see a bass note 80Hz with a rise or attack edge on the the smack down of 10uS how would it sound ???
Now slow it down to an attack edge of 1mS what sort of noise is this ?

Now lets think about harmonics now how does skin effect change this ?

Would you say 100KHz is high frequency ??
Would you say Sonar is high frequency ??
Then why did we take the trouble when designing Sonar for the MOD and using Litz wire to make it more sensitive?

Before anybody makes a rash statements think about edges please."
I don't understand the reference to high speed edges. What exactly is an attack edge of 1ms?

Is the system not additively linear? Are you saying that the skin effect operating at a high frequency directly affects the signal at a low frequency? I'm not sure otherwise what a bass note on the smack down of 10 us means? How is it different from any other bass note.

I appreciate that you are an expert, but can you explain this to a layman. I'm eager to learn and quite happy to be shown things I don't understand.

Also the use of your wire in sonar- can you explain the sensitivity: is it to do with a power loss at a particular frequency? If so can you quantify this.

@colin

You are talking about different use cases, sonar has absolutely nothing to do with hifi. I'm confused as to why you keep referring to 100 Khz, nobody has hearing that good and 25 Khz is around the max your average teenager can hear and dropping to sub 20 Khz when over 30 years old.

If it is such an issue in audio freqs why are none of the skin depth calculators giving options for Khz, they all use Mhz or Ghz.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...0j69i57j0l4.3251j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm not saying skin effect doesn't occur at audio freqs (re-read my posts and you will see I say "not relevant or not an issue")

At 20 Khz the skin depth on 18 awg or higher is 100% of the conductor so please explain how this is a problem?

I don't know about the technical design of these, I'm not an electronics engineers but my ears are telling me they allow my amp/speakers/music to sound freakishly awesome. This may sound like I should be wearing a tin-foil hat with all this cable business, but for what they've aloud the system to become, the outlay is minor. I mean these were not expensive cables in comparison to what they've brought to the party. As far a high end cables go these are a bargain at the current price.
I really wish EWA success with these and hope if/when these become popular the price doesn't rocket!

I don't know about the technical design of these, I'm not an electronics engineers but my ears are telling me they allow my amp/speakers/music to sound freakishly awesome. This may sound like I should be wearing a tin-foil hat with all this cable business, but for what they've aloud the system to become, the outlay is minor. I mean these were not expensive cables in comparison to what they've brought to the party. As far a high end cables go these are a bargain at the current price.
I really wish EWA success with these and hope if/when these become popular the price doesn't rocket!

If you have tried TQ cables where in their hierarchy would you say the EWA's sit. Above Ultra's, above Diamonds???

I agree that the most important factor in choosing things is whether you like them.

I very very rarely look at specs or measurements and prefer to buy and try instead.

What I disagree with is the use of bullshit in marketing.

As far as I'm aware there is very little in terms of marketing out there on these cables. They are available on a 30 day trial/return basis... that's good enough for me.

As far as I'm aware there is very little in terms of marketing out there on these cables. They are available on a 30 day trial/return basis... that's good enough for me.
That seems to be something of an understatement. It seems to be so good for you as to inspire you promote them with the few waking moments that you don't devote to attacking Keith.

That seems to be something of an understatement. It seems to be so good for you as to inspire you promote them with the few waking moments that you don't devote to attacking Keith.

Call it what you like or feel fit, doesn't change the fact that they're not passing the marketing cost to the consumers.

No I personally can't. I'm not an electronics engineer so I leave the tech stuff to them.

Ah. When you asked "Have you read the rest of the post and link?", I assumed there was something there that might help explain the relevance.

Colin the designer and engineer said they are better than any of his previous designs.

Raj, you are allways promoting your latest aquired stuff quite enthusiastic and peace with that

But this statement was a bit thin, eh !

Personally, and indeed when its a cable, I would have an extended listening period to trust any audio designers word even these may be correct

I trust you have NOT yourself done any listening to TQB Ultra vs LS-25 ?
If so I will just ignore your statement as Im sure many others will.

advertisement

Back