advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who are interested in occasional CD play back or ripping to NAS / USB Flash drive on the MDAC2+ with Streamer I recommand a slot drive like this:-

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=161778702969

Which can be plugged into one of the MDAC2+ USB ports and controlled via the Volumio UI.

Data is bit accurate & Clock-locked to the System audio clock.

A planned MDAC2 DAC board option with the fully discrete DAC disables the SPDIF inputs so such a USB drive allows a CD drive to be still used with these units.
John,

This is very good news for me, so good I needed a day or two to absorb the implications! Up to now, I have been thinking of using my Oppo with the MDAC2, hoping that you would be able to clock-lock it at a later stage, but at least for CDs, this is now irrelevant.

I have been dithering on the streamer board, but this sells it to me very effectively, and if the CD control could also be done through the touch screen, even better. In any case, this gives me something that I wanted from the FDAC- a good CD player, now in a smaller space, and not needing yet another remote(the only downside I can see so far is that I will have to get some sort of grip on the Volumio interface, which I have been ignoring so far).

In the longer term, could it make sense to clock-lock the Oppo for use with SACD? I would use the HDMI output with an audio de-embedder, but would the jitter from HDMI defeat this? At the moment, without clock-locking, there is little difference between the SACD and CD tracks; both are inferior to the rips on my Mac Mini (via Regens, and the Detox will probably increase this difference).

A minor point about the “Apple drive” you suggested. It’s from Malaysia- are you sure this is not Chinese in origin?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Cyrus CDt transport provides a bit-perfect transfer to the MDAC.

Interesting- I have a very dim memory of using a routine for checking this point out in the Pre-Cambrian Era of this thread, but that of course was for the USB connection from the Mini. I'd be interested to know how you check this for a CD player.

However, I doubt that he Oppo is inferior to the Mini for this reason. I have had the same experience with a Meridian 500 transport, and before that, both Linn Genki and Ikemi used as transports. Some of this was back before I added the Regens, and other tweaks, which made the comparison even starker. Again from distant memory, I think John had a lot of comments about time domain back in those early days.

I presume one might burn a CD with the MDAC bit perfect track (in its 16bit/44.1kHz version)... provided the transport can read CD-RW or CD-R discs.

There are also a few DTS CDs, which will be recognized as such on some AV receiver when played in a bit perfect way... I believe this is a less stringent test than above. but not mangling the DTS flags is a good start...

Thanks John- I shouldn't have reported my guess as fact...

Cheers

Bob

p.s. Just to amplify your point about the costs of other LPS supplies, I think this means that the MCRU at £360 does more or less the same as a single Calex, which cost me £20 (but it does look much nicer...)

Bob,

No problem, I only wanted to correct you in case someone where to purchase one thinking it was a triple rail PSU.

Indeed - the case is not GBP340 "pretty" :)

Hi John,

For those folks who have ordered Detox (before the streamer option existed), but now plan to use only the steamer and not USB into MDAC2, what do we do ?.

Personally : I don't care about loosing the DETOX development fees (this is part of the deal), but I don't particularly want to splash out on the Detox manufacturing fees if I no longer need it and will likely not use it.

Thanks

Hi Steve,

While I cannot refund your Detox development sponsorship, there's no need to follow though with purchasing the Detox.

Do let me know if I need to contribute anymore based on my desired configuration of MDAC2-Streamer-ADC for analogue input so I can avoid the need for a preamp. Thanks

The need for a Pre Amplifier is complicated as there will be some advance "High Performance" audio DAC option board for MDAC2 where replay of DSD or 384KHz PCM will require an external pre-amplifier as the there will be no "Digital" preamp mode. For PCM upto 192KHz there still will be a digital "Pre-Amplifier" mode (THIS ONLY APPLIES to certain MDAC2 options).

The MDAC2 fitted with the standard dual ESSPro DAC board supports Digital Pre-amplifier mode in all PCM / DSD rates.

Replacing the MDAC PSU can give you a small improvement but you can do it simply enough, I think a zener (or similar) referenced capacitance multiplier/gyrator would be as good as anything. While I no longer have an MDAC I do have the service manual, super regulators are overkill here. There are some expensive power supplies being offered with "over enthusiastic" performance claims. You could tweak a Hi-Cap to work, it's not ideal, the regs would run hot and the input/output differential on the LM317K wouldn't look nice, but you know how "complex" a Hi-Cap is, so building something more appropriate isn't too difficult.

Dark Energy,

A good post :) in fact "a Zener (or similar) referenced capacitance multiplier/gyrator" make VERY good pre regulator stages as they do not rely on Feedback and have very good High Frequency PSRR. a couple of weeks ago I layout a Bootstrapped / cascaded capacitance multiplier on the MDAC2 DAC PCB for the DAC supply rails.

I presume one might burn a CD with the MDAC bit perfect track (in its 16bit/44.1kHz version)... provided the transport can read CD-RW or CD-R discs.

There are also a few DTS CDs, which will be recognized as such on some AV receiver when played in a bit perfect way... I believe this is a less stringent test than above. but not mangling the DTS flags is a good start...

Yes, correct - you can just burn the MDAC's Bit Accuracy test file onto a CDR and replay via the transport to confirm the data path.

I have been dithering on the streamer board, but this sells it to me very effectively, and if the CD control could also be done through the touch screen, even better. In any case, this gives me something that I wanted from the FDAC- a good CD player, now in a smaller space, and not needing yet another remote(the only downside I can see so far is that I will have to get some sort of grip on the Volumio interface, which I have been ignoring so far).

In the longer term, could it make sense to clock-lock the Oppo for use with SACD? I would use the HDMI output with an audio de-embedder, but would the jitter from HDMI defeat this? At the moment, without clock-locking, there is little difference between the SACD and CD tracks; both are inferior to the rips on my Mac Mini (via Regens, and the Detox will probably increase this difference).

A minor point about the “Apple drive” you suggested. It’s from Malaysia- are you sure this is not Chinese in origin?

Bob,

With the updated front panel fitted to the MDAC2 the Volumio UI will be customised and made "obvious to your Mother" how to use... Please forgive the term, but its how I'd like the interface to work that even ones Mother could use it without fear :)

For what its worth, I don't find the current Volumio I very intuitive - I hate having to dig though menus to find "basic" replay options - like play form CD etc.

Middle of July Jarek and I will be spending a week with Michelangelo to define our UI and other matters :)

You're talking about me!....I have a MRCU power supply....:(

I reported here several years ago that it made little difference if any IME (My review was never published by MRCU although I spent much time testing and writing it). When pushed, I said maybe a max of 5% improvement which was being generous.

It is however very well built (the blue led could light a runway its so bright...so mine is black taped). It went wrong last year and was repaired completely free of charge...which was very nice. I replaced the fuse once too after if blew.

The reason I bought it was:...like John just said, the power supply is very important in HiFi and I just guessed the original external one was a budget model, although it was heavy for it's size....we live to learn, i suppose.

A decent external high quality PSU only makes sense for MDAC when the MDAC's internal PSU board is bypassed - then the audio quality makes a BIG leap, especially WRT the base performance :) way more then "5%" :)

But sadly I also found like you very little difference with an external HQ PSU when keeping the original internal MDAC PSU PCB... :(

Bloody immigrants, coming over here composing our music!

Thanks to Brexit this Herr Händel will have to leave soon - his slots on BBC 3 being filled with proper music by Mr. Britten(ish).

(Sorry - couldn't resist; all this pomp and circumstances ...)

Hi John,

sorry, just saw this (after Renata's email...).

Well, that makes unfortunately sense... The PSU plugs were damaged after several in-and-out of shelf moves; and I tried to replace this with new cable acc. to the wiring instructions posted somewhere here years ago ... Probably snowballing from there (swapping units etc.).

Sorry for the mess ... And I actually had pointed out that the Toslinks are deformed - I think these are about the most wobbly I have seen to begin with (getting downhill from there).

So: Thanks a lot; funds + instructions via email/Paypal.

Thanks to Brexit this Herr Händel will have to leave soon - his slots on BBC 3 being filled with proper music by Mr. Britten(ish).

(Sorry - couldn't resist; all this pomp and circumstances ...)

Your black MDAC's been repaired now for a couple of weeks - I asked Renata to Email you last night as I'd not heard from you :)

The need for a Pre Amplifier is complicated as there will be some advance "High Performance" audio DAC option board for MDAC2 where replay of DSD or 384KHz PCM will require an external pre-amplifier as the there will be no "Digital" preamp mode. For PCM upto 192KHz there still will be a digital "Pre-Amplifier" mode (THIS ONLY APPLIES to certain MDAC2 options).

The MDAC2 fitted with the standard dual ESSPro DAC board supports Digital Pre-amplifier mode in all PCM / DSD rates.

John
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know more. Can you expand on this high performance option please.

Hi John,

I want to share my opinion with you. I hardly ever post here but I`m doing my best following this discussion. I signed for FDAC namely because of:

- superior SQ
- all in one (pretty) box solution
- 4 pin XLR front panel phones output
- CD slot
- SSD fit in
- direct play from SD card/SSD

I believe you recall me: I`m a PhD guy from Bratislava living in block of flats enjoying Senn. HD800s (AAMOF I moved year ago to a house and since then I listen less and less music through the headphones). In your previous posts you recommended us switching from FDAC to MDAC2. But I do feel that I`ll not get all nice features of FDAC when I order MDAC2 (I do own old MDAC). Is it still worth of waiting for me for FDAC (with unspecified delivery date) or better to have "vrabca v hrsti" (i.e., MDAC2)? Actually I`m not in hurry for new DAC; my MDAC is working just fine (I haven`t opened it).

Regards,
Martin

Got my MDac back to Life ,changed 6 Caps that opend up all the Way .The Rest doesn`t look good too ,but didn`t open up yet. Hope it stays like this till MDac2 is finished.

Hello John
I understand you may not have had time to reply to my mail.
You can answer when you have time but I would just like to know if it has arrived properly?
I have sent twice: 2017-06-18 and 2017-06-22.
(Sorry, do not mean to be pushy)

Sincerely. Johan

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back