advertisement

New car choice again.

I really fancy the Mazda 6 I have to say, I hope it doesn't disappoint on the test drive, that would be so nail in the coffin.

Try a Subaru Outback or Forester with a petrol engine. Great cars, deep engineering and nicely understated. Way better in my experience than the German stuff. 5 year warranty as well, although doubt you'd need to use it.
I already suggested Subaru in post #9 ...

I like station-wagons or estates as you call them. They handle like a sedan and offer more space for haulage. In that vein, I'd suggest a Subaru Outback (bigger, more gentlemanly) or Levorg (smaller, more spirited). They are sharply priced (in New Zealand at least) and the AWD drivetrain a great bonus in inclement weather.
But the OP does not seem interested enough to respond to that suggestion, but seem destined to return to the VW fold despite the initial protestation he'd never.

I'd consider another Subaru again, possibly a BR-Z or WRX when the next model update occurs. My 12-year old Legacy with three times the mileage has less rattles and squeaks than my 4-year old BMW.

No, the Ford 2.0 Ecoboost is just a 2.0 turbo charged engine from themselves, same as the VW one in application.

Ford have a range of Ecoboost engines from 1.0 to 1.5 to 2.0 capacity, all turbocharged.

My one overriding fear of the Mazda is that it is a normally aspirated engine so it might seem sluggish against the VW engine, time will tell though.

Hard to say, it is less powerful so I'd expect it would feel sluggish. Naturally aspirated engines deliver power differently to turbocharged engines. You generally need more displacement to get the same power from a naturally aspirated engine (I'm guessing you know that already) but I tend to find a naturally aspirated engine preferable to a turbocharged engine with a similar output, I like the way the power builds as it revs higher as opposed to getting a large chunk of power in the middle of the rev range. Powerful naturally aspirated engines are getting rare though.

Since you were interested in the Kuga (yuck imv) have you thought about the new Mazda CX5? Mazda are selling plenty and I believe they have addressed the low class cabin with the latest update. It's practical and drives well too, I'm not sure what the engines are like. In the past Mazda haven't offered much choice.

Jay

I already suggested Subaru in post #9 ...
But the OP does not seem interested enough to respond to that suggestion, but seem destined to return to the VW fold despite the initial protestation he'd never.

I won't be returning to the VW fold at all, Skoda was just a thought in my mind based on the TSi engine.

As for Subaru, not interested whatsoever hence the lack of response.

Since you were interested in the Kuga (yuck imv) have you thought about the new Mazda CX5? Mazda are selling plenty and I believe they have addressed the low class cabin with the latest update. It's practical and drives well too, I'm not sure what the engines are like. In the past Mazda haven't offered much choice.

Jay

The wife was interested in a Kuga, I am not.

If you don't like the idea of repair bills then look at something like Kia, they come with 7 year/100k warranties. Alternatively Toyota still make very reliable cars. European cars might be more interesting to drive but if a car is just a appliance to you then that's what I'd be looking at.

Repair bills are expected but on this occasion the cost of a 2 piece exhaust for a humble Passat to me was extortionate at nearly £1000 fitted. I have checked other mainstream vehicles & they come in at up to £300 mostly, I'd happily pay that.

Warranty is now a deciding factor to a degree but reliability plays its part as well, also a good dealer network that you can feel happy to deal with is a good bonus.

VW dealers in my opinion are somewhat lacking, the customer services is woeful.

If I thought that a car was just an appliance to get from A to B then I'd buy a moped instead in all honesty.

I enjoy driving mostly so want something with a bit of driver appeal & involvement, that is why I really want the Mazda 6 to be likeable when I test drive it & if it gets the grin factor I think it might be the one.

What Toyota vehicles can you suggest ?

Who is this Clarkson?

He is otherwise known as the great prophet Jeremiah. He begat bad styling of men's attire and insulting of many tribes outside of his ancestral land.

And he did say unto a kindly Irish producer;

And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but not prepare a feast when I command then I will walk contrary unto you in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins. And ye shall feel the taste of my bare knuckle and the wrath of my heavenly father who will take vengeance on your eternal soul. So now eff off and get me some grub Paddy if you know what's good for you.

I enjoy driving mostly so want something with a bit of driver appeal & involvement,

What Toyota vehicles can you suggest ?

For the most part (GT86 excepted) these two statements are incompatible. Toyotas are not designed for driver appeal & involvement. They do the reliable A to B thing better than most and will be very reliable. They work best if you wear beige elasticated waist trousers :p

I read the early posts so have not read all the in-between stuff but the Mondeo original suggestion and the Mazda 6 are fine choices. I had an early Mondeo and have always had a soft spot for Ford. My brother has enjoyed a Mazda 6 for a few years and put galactic mileages onto his cars.

For the most part (GT86 excepted) these two statements are incompatible.
Toyota can thank Subaru for the driver appeal of the GT86. It's the only Toyota I'd seriously consider buying before I must wear elasticised beige pants.

advertisement

Back