advertisement

New car choice again.

I think dear god would like it. Like Skoda, with it's old rep. so many people only think 'French' and stop. Mistake. New Peugots are pretty, roomy, quiet, economical, comfy and last as well as anything out there. Also now, very very good cabin materials. Also cheaper.
Still why be open minded?

Maybe the very latest 3008 is better, by my father in law's was a terrible thing. It was a bargain through his Mobility deal, but he regretted it very quickly. Full of tack, topped of with an indecisive auto box that took so long to change up a gear that it almost needed to change down again. And it felt like he was taking his foot off the accelerator pedal into the bargain.

Still, for now the 'loaf' style doesn't appeal to me one bit.

Open minded? I had a Peugeot 106 Rallye in the mid 90s and a Laguna in Saudi in the late 90s. Both were pretty much faultless.

I really fancy a Skoda Superb in the mix & maybe I am being over critical about it due to the VW Group association. The local Skoda dealer has been servicing the Passat CC for the last 4 years & they have been quite superb.

I've had an Octavia Scout on a lease deal for two years. It has been so good I am replacing it with another one next week. It probably helps that I am an inverted badge snob.

Maybe the very latest 3008 is better, by my father in law's was a terrible thing. It was a bargain through his Mobility deal, but he regretted it very quickly. Full of tack, topped of with an indecisive auto box that took so long to change up a gear that it almost needed to change down again. And it felt like he was taking his foot off the accelerator pedal into the bargain.

Still, for now the 'loaf' style doesn't appeal to me one bit.

Open minded? I had a Peugeot 106 Rallye in the mid 90s and a Laguna in Saudi in the late 90s. Both were pretty much faultless.

yes, but this isn't your thread is it Tony, or about you. The OP might like the style?

Personally I think the new 3008 is hideous, proportions all wrong & too many design elements to try & cater for all types, interior is nice though.

I do like the new Skoda Karoq though.

Personally I think the new 3008 is hideous, proportions all wrong & too many design elements to try & cater for all types, interior is nice though.

I do like the new Skoda Karoq though.

lol
ah well. Artist huh, what do they know :)

so many people only think 'French' and stop.

Actually, I like a lot of old French cars... particularly late 80s to mid 90s Peugeots, they made some genuinely interesting and fun cars. I've had two 106s, a 1.5d and a GTI, both great in their own ways (both handle like a go kart, one is highly economical and bomb proof, the other still quite reliable and quick). My ex had a 306 GTI 6, I loved it. My cousin had both a 205 and 309 GTI, both great fun. My dad had both a 405 1.9td and an MI16, fantastic cars with superb ride quality and comfort... oh and my uncle had a Renault 5 GT turbo, I'd have probably only been 10 when he sold it and I pined after it, used to love going out for a ride with him in that car. I've never felt French cars to be poorly made, I've enough experience with them to make that judgment. What I do feel, is that they have actually lost some of the fun factor these days.

I agree Linnfo, although I think that what we called 'fun' was what the French called 'practical' :) I remember my pal's 2CV was 'interesting' for two blokes 6'3" on the way from London to Juan Les Pins, wheras french farmers loved the fact it would carry eggs across a ploughed field (apparently).
Now they (Citroen esp) 'design in' the fun bit with kooky looks, but the car is still overweight and just odd.
The only 2cv alike now is the Dacia Duster. Brilliant damned car. More of that please.

If I am honest with myself then any car other than a VW or Audi that had the 2.0TSI VW Group engine in would do me, a peach of an engine & I will miss it when the car is gone.

Am I leaning towards Skoda Superb :eek:

Actually, I like a lot of old French cars... particularly late 80s to mid 90s Peugeots, they made some genuinely interesting and fun cars. I've had two 106s, a 1.5d and a GTI, both great in their own ways (both handle like a go kart, one is highly economical and bomb proof, the other still quite reliable and quick). My ex had a 306 GTI 6, I loved it. My cousin had both a 205 and 309 GTI, both great fun. My dad had both a 405 1.9td and an MI16, fantastic cars with superb ride quality and comfort... oh and my uncle had a Renault 5 GT turbo, I'd have probably only been 10 when he sold it and I pined after it, used to love going out for a ride with him in that car. I've never felt French cars to be poorly made, I've enough experience with them to make that judgment. What I do feel, is that they have actually lost some of the fun factor these days.
You should try the new ones. The RS series and, to a lesser degree, the Peugeot gts leave many established brands in their wake. Fun factor ++

If I am honest with myself then any car other than a VW or Audi that had the 2.0TSI VW Group engine in would do me, a peach of an engine & I will miss it when the car is gone.

Am I leaning towards Skoda Superb :eek:

I'm trying to get my head around that, do you like the 2.0 TSI engine or not? :D

I know that the more powerful 2.0TDI engines (170-184 bhp) are pretty good (well in my experience anyway) but I could only really recommend them if you do enough mileage, they just don't make much sense for lots of small journeys. And besides, I know you don't want a diesel.

A Superb with the 2.5 TSI engine could be fun if ever they decided to build one.... about 360ish BHP of amazing sounding awesomeness!

You should try the new ones. The RS series and, to a lesser degree, the Peugeot gts leave many established brands in their wake. Fun factor ++

I do quite like some of the Renault RS cars, genuinely fast and good handling cars! It's Peugeot that I think have lost their way with the fun element.

I'm definitely not one of those people who judge cars by where they come from, if it's a good car, it's a good car, simple as that. What we don't see so much of now is large French saloon and estate cars in Britain. We get small to mid hatchbacks and SUVs instead.

I'm trying to get my head around that, do you like the 2.0 TSI engine or not? :D

I know that the more powerful 2.0TDI engines (170-184 bhp) are pretty good (well in my experience anyway) but I could only really recommend them if you do enough mileage, they just don't make much sense for lots of small journeys. And besides, I know you don't want a diesel.

A Superb with the 2.5 TSI engine could be fun if ever they decided to build one.... about 360ish BHP of amazing sounding awesomeness!

I want the driveability & performance of that engine, not too bothered over economy to a degree.

It is a great engine hence my looking towards a Mondeo 2.0 Ecoboost 240 BHP version.

The Mazda 6 is 2.0 165 BHP, I hope it isn't a let down.

I want the driveability & performance of that engine, not too bothered over economy to a degree.

It is a great engine hence my looking towards a Mondeo 2.0 Ecoboost 240 BHP version.

The Mazda 6 is 2.0 165 BHP, I hope it isn't a let down.

Is the Ecoboost a VW derived engine then? I'm a bit lost now TBH.:D

I'm not too worried about fuel economy either, I might be if I were doing 25k upwards a year but in truth I only do about 15k tops and I like a smooth high(ish) revving engine with a reasonable amount of power.

No, the Ford 2.0 Ecoboost is just a 2.0 turbo charged engine from themselves, same as the VW one in application.

Ford have a range of Ecoboost engines from 1.0 to 1.5 to 2.0 capacity, all turbocharged.

My one overriding fear of the Mazda is that it is a normally aspirated engine so it might seem sluggish against the VW engine, time will tell though.

I have no idea what the size of the motor in my car is nor whether it is turbocharged. I' m obviously in the wrong thread. Buy whatever Clarkson recommends.

advertisement

Back