advertisement

New car choice again.

Nobody has mentioned the Skodas yet, the latest bigger model is very well equipped.

I am a badge snob myself and would never touch one.

I am changing in November and it will be a new Passat Estate, not quite as powerful as my trusty Volvo V70

I've run an Octavia VRS PD170 hatch for the last four years, just done a cambelt change at 159,000 miles - it's been pretty much faultless.

I had a Volvo 850R estate before that, which I loved but the Octavia is the better car overall and just as practical.

I like the Mondeo's and all Fords (have owned around 25 Fords) but build quality simply isn't at VAG levels.

I really rated my Mondeo. Changed to BMW 5 series which was a little bit better but not much really.
Just sold the BMW, I'm sick of expensive cars. They just depreciate, even bought secondhand I lost 6K in two years. I've decided to go for a cheap reliable workhorse and something interesting and impractical that doesn't depreciate. Currently a Renault Kangoo and a Jaguar 4.0 XJ sport occupy these spots.

I drive a new Skoda Octavia 1.4 and I am very impressed. I used to be a badge sob but paying £190 personal leasing a moth for a 150bhp car suits me.

We had a 51 Mondeo 4x4 hatch (with heated windscreen :)), it was very competent and regularly above 40mpg. A bit boring to drive and the 17' alloys made the ride a bit crashy.

That fully loaded 240BHP six month-old Mondeo is the most appealing thing within budget that I've seen mentioned yet.

(Damn - must not push powerful cars.... :) )

A close friend occasionally drives his dad's newish Mondeo. He describes it as like driving a Transit.

Are Transits great to drive? ;)

I had a mk3 Mondeo for a short while, a 2.2 TDCI ST model. It drove very well by all accounts, the interior was comfortable and I had no problems other than a faulty injector. I sold it to my brother who cherished it until a new driver pulled out on him and wrote it off. He had a new (pre facelift) Mondeo as a courtesy car and said it was every bit as good with the exception of being less powerful. Mondeos and Focuses are good cars, they don't grab me emotionally but on a technical level, they're excellent. My dad had a mk1 focus that covered over 300k (it had done 190k when he brought it). Aside from routine servicing, the only things it ever needed was an alternator, battery and a turbo pipe. Sadly the body work let it down in the end (although it served a few more years with my friend who's a car dealer, he used it as a runaround for fetching car parts and collecting/delivering cars).

As much as I'd like one they are VW Group & they are the devil now with me.

Two Skodas in my family/close friends circle, a 2013 Yeti and a 2014 Superb, both have been excellent. However I do understand that you're turned off the idea.

Honestly, X drive BMWs are ace, my brother has a 320 and my best mate has an X1, I love both and would happily drive either daily, you'll get a dealer approved used model in budget.

I really fancy a Skoda Superb in the mix & maybe I am being over critical about it due to the VW Group association. The local Skoda dealer has been servicing the Passat CC for the last 4 years & they have been quite superb.

Well I can't promise hassle free motoring but my wife has had a Fabia VRS since 2005 and that's also been excellent. Both serviced by good independent garages though.

I also had a Skoda which I thought impeccable. However, the fact it was a diesel and one of those that needed reprogramming prompted me to sell it.

Try a Subaru Outback or Forester with a petrol engine. Great cars, deep engineering and nicely understated. Way better in my experience than the German stuff. 5 year warranty as well, although doubt you'd need to use it.

Dear god no.....
I think dear god would like it. Like Skoda, with it's old rep. so many people only think 'French' and stop. Mistake. New Peugots are pretty, roomy, quiet, economical, comfy and last as well as anything out there. Also now, very very good cabin materials. Also cheaper.
Still why be open minded? :)
It's not working is it?
OK I retire. Mondeos are GREAT honest...way more reliable than a Toyota for sure.

Actually the Superb isn't bad if it's the new one...at least a designer glanced inside before they marketed it this time.

advertisement

Back