advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John,

Thanks for the project update, great to hear such progress in a week.

+1 for the new front panel and tooling help sponsorship.

Does the new front panel mean maybe a cool new display …:cool:

John,
I am also interested in getting my hands on one of the small DACS's now if possible.

I had originally hoped for DEVDAC, but fully understand that we will have to wait for the P&P machine.

You can count me in for front panel tooling sponsoring.

Hi John,
I paid GBP450 in advance on 15.09.2015
and haven't been following this thread much inbetween.

In the meantime my PRE solution is sorted, so I'll be using your DAC as a standalone
DAC partnering a CD transport & nothing else.

Could you please give me a hint when I can be expecting to receive
the DAC as a finished product, please ?

Thank you and kind regards,
T

Hi John,

My MDAC Toy with the broken crystal is still with you. I didn't want to disturb you in the run up to Munich, and also we had a baby back in Jan so my priorities have changed a bit.

But anyway, it would be great to get the ol' girl back. If you could just fix the crystal and send back that would be great. I'm in for the MDAC2 so not much point in adding any new tricks to this one.

On the subject of the MDAC2, it really seems like things have moved on with this project in the last few months. I was just expecting the MDAC2 to be the best DAC you can fit in a small box and a chance to preview the design before finalising it for the FDAC masterpiece. But bells and whistles are appearing all over the place!

My preference is to keep the bells and whistles for the FDAC where you have space in the larger case, but I accept I am just one man. And don't get me wrong, if decisions have already been made then I'll take the options as I can't imagine the FDAC will be ready in anything less than a couple of years. Support of the new products and software will surely take a lot of your time for this year and the next one. Not being derogatory here, it just doesn't seem realistic to pressure yourself to deliver it any faster than that.

Not sure what I'm down for but if I'm not too late, please put me down for a detox, the streamer and the front panel. :cool:

Appreciate your commitment to the cause as always, both in effort and finance.

Hi John,
I paid GBP450 in advance on 15.09.2015
and haven't been following this thread much inbetween.

In the meantime my PRE solution is sorted, so I'll be using your DAC as a standalone
DAC partnering a CD transport & nothing else.

Could you please give me a hint when I can be expecting to receive
the DAC as a finished product, please ?

Thank you and kind regards,
T

Maybe you should check my post 672 above, in answer to a related question from stephanwegner; it gives a bit of background to the current situation.

Hi John,

My MDAC Toy with the broken crystal is still with you. I didn't want to disturb you in the run up to Munich, and also we had a baby back in Jan so my priorities have changed a bit.

But anyway, it would be great to get the ol' girl back. If you could just fix the crystal and send back that would be great. I'm in for the MDAC2 so not much point in adding any new tricks to this one.

On the subject of the MDAC2, it really seems like things have moved on with this project in the last few months. I was just expecting the MDAC2 to be the best DAC you can fit in a small box and a chance to preview the design before finalising it for the FDAC masterpiece. But bells and whistles are appearing all over the place!

My preference is to keep the bells and whistles for the FDAC where you have space in the larger case, but I accept I am just one man. And don't get me wrong, if decisions have already been made then I'll take the options as I can't imagine the FDAC will be ready in anything less than a couple of years. Support of the new products and software will surely take a lot of your time for this year and the next one. Not being derogatory here, it just doesn't seem realistic to pressure yourself to deliver it any faster than that.

Not sure what I'm down for but if I'm not too late, please put me down for a detox, the streamer and the front panel. :cool:

Appreciate your commitment to the cause as always, both in effort and finance.

Therixonator,

I purchased this from Ebay a couple of weeks ago and still waiting for it to arrive. The kit is a Crystal "test Fixture" for our analyser allowing us to QC the crystals for MDAC2 / Detox / FDAC production etc.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=361997906594

Once it arrives I'll test your replacement crystal to confirm its a good part - then ship your unit. Do you have your units serial number (black or silver) as I have a couple of MDAC's here awaiting repairs.

I had been reluctant to buy the test fixture due to its cost - but with MDAC2 production pending I really cannot afford to have returns due to clock failure - its just the cost is "painful" at this time and I have an endless list of other items to purchase!!!

With items like the SMD machine its easy to see the value it brings - but its hard to see the value of such a silly little test fixture which cost over US$2500 with import duty and Vat :(

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Maybe you should check my post 672 above, in answer to a related question from stephanwegner; it gives a bit of background to the current situation.

Hi Bob,

thank you for pointing me towards the present state of devellopment.

Kind regards,
T

Therixonator,

I purchased this from Ebay a couple of weeks ago and still waiting for it to arrive. The kit is a Crystal "test Fixture" for our analyser allowing us to QC the crystals for MDAC2 / Detox / FDAC production etc.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=361997906594

Once it arrives I'll test your replacement crystal to confirm its a good part - then ship your unit. Do you have your units serial number (black or silver) as I have a couple of MDAC's here awaiting repairs.

I had been reluctant to buy the test fixture due to its cost - but with MDAC2 production pending I really cannot afford to have returns due to clock failure - its just the cost is "painful" at this time and I have an endless list of other items to purchase!!!

With items like the SMD machine its easy to see the value it brings - but its hard to see the value of such a silly little test fixture which cost over US$2500 with import duty and Vat :(

Thanks for the update John, makes total sense. This will be the 3rd crystal in my MDAC alone. Of course, what happens if you test all your crystals and the whole batch is faulty? Are they easy to source?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi Tim,

Jarek and I will take a break from our receptive PCB designs tomorrow and work on the new MDAC2 front panel renderings / mechanical design as we need to open tooling on a "certain part" if tomorrow we can confirm it can all be fitted together.

If it works out as I visualize it in my mind then it will be unique and stunning front panel - give the MDAC2 the front panel it deserves :)

JohnW,

Glad to see the production preparation coming together. Great work.

Not sure about the front panel changes. It seems another thing that can delay the development/delivery of MDAC2 even more. It seems we have a new back plate, new front panel, new external power supply. How is this an MDAC upgrade? The only thing we have kept the same is form factor (except being a bit longer) which caused so much problem when you tried to fit every thing else on the Main board.

I am hesitant in committing more funds towards it as I thought new front panel and more drastic changes were going to happen for FDAC (I am signed up for two of those).

What I need to know is when you think we will have a finished MDAC2 board + PSU (in bare format, no fancy case or front panel) that can be listened to. That is why I signed up for this project. Otherwise all your hard work and money (very much yours and ours) would be, sorry to say, for nothing.

All I ask is that we keep our focus on the main thing we all signed up for originally. To me that was a DAC that is superior in SOUND to anything else in the market. The look and feel is secondary. I respectfully ask that please keep that in mind.

Regard,
Hossein

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back