advertisement

Hugo or Qute EX?

neilo7

One day I'll stop upgrading
As the streamer I want is slightly out of budget at the minute, I was thinking of a decent DAC to go between my Squeezebox and amp. Both the Hugo and Qute EX are available to me if I want them. I'd like to know which one the fellow fishers think is best?

Thanks

If the price difference is large and you have no interest in the high quality portable headphone amp/ digital preamp functionality, I'd go for the Qute. I find the Hugo indispensable though as a headphone amp and digital preamp.

The quote ex is older than the hugo and the 2qute so I'd go for the he hugo with the latest gate array dac

Thanks I probably will. Never thought of using the Hugo as a pre. So that's another tick in its box.

Hugo for sure. Have used one between Squeezebox Touch and active ATCs. Superb. Special. Should be some decent second hand deals appearing as the Hugo2 hits the streets.

There are indeed some on offer at very good prices. I'm a little unsure about the battery life in them though. I've heard they can need replaced every 18months if you use them regularly.

There are indeed some on offer at very good prices. I'm a little unsure about the battery life in them though. I've heard they can need replaced every 18months if you use them regularly.

That's a fair point, there seem to be differing stories on line - some people needing battery replacement, others not. Not sure whether there was a poor batch of batteries, or whether that's just a downside of the design. I didn't have any hassles, but I never used it on battery on its own, it was always on the charger. Maybe it's portable use to exhaustion that eats up battery life. Why not ask Chord how much replacing the battery would set you back should it be needed?

I think they're a bit like a mobile phone in that charging it continually wears the battery down. I'll give Chord an email.

My Hugo has been in constant use for two years exactly and the batteries are still going strong. Rechargeable batteries are a consumable in my view- Happy to replace them.

I Used to have a 2 qute, probably the best dac I had, I used it with a Yamaha as-3000 amp incredible sound from such a small dac.
Tidal Masters sounded awesome through this little thing.

My Hugo is nearing 3 years old, has been plugged in constantly all that time, so float charging the batteries. Batteries are still good, as I found out after a power cut about a month ago

Well these are all reassuring. Thanks. I would love to get the Hugo as I think it would be better than what I had planned for the front end.

The Hugo and Hugo 2 will need to have batteries replaced sooner or later. I would wait for the next version of the 2Qute. Chord should have user replacable batteries in their dacs.

New 2qute? Has this been announced as chord said the existing one will be upgradable which was one of the reasons I bought it

I'd plump for the Hugo too. A good friend tried to go from his Hugo to the Qute but it didn't sound as good in his system.

advertisement

Back