advertisement

ROON release hardware

The fact they only run Roon with a dedicated OS can only be a good thing for those that don't want to manage a pc.

Does the price include a Roon licence?

I roon Roon on a 2012 Mac Mini, with various Raspberry Pi's with either the Digi+ board or Meridian Explorer 2 USB dacs attached to them.

Considering Very.co.uk were doing the Mac Minis for £250 with cashback their own linux box does seem pricey.

Personally I think Meridian are losing the plot.

Entry level compact system now £4000, compact DSP speakers now £6500.

I just don't get how they will get the next generation of customers on board.

Roon, I believe aren't anything do with Meridian, although some of their designers were formerly responsible for Sooloos.

Roon started off as Sooloos Version 3, but they went their separate ways to let it grow in the way it needed.

That's interesting, you must let me know your thoughts ,any bugs or bugbears so far?
Keith

I installed it on a fairly recent Aleutia machine that originally ran my Vortexbox software. Not hugely powerful but installed without a hitch via USB dongle. It was running all day and served to two Endpoints, a Squeezebox Touch and a Pi/ Dac/Touchscreen model I put together.No glitches as yet but need to install codecs when I have chance. In tend to clean up my Mac Mini as well and do fresh install of Roon Server as it seems to have become glitchy. Have proper comparison then.

advertisement

Back