advertisement

Budget Set Up For Newbie

Sgt pepper

pfm Member
Been posting on HiFi Wigwam and recieved great advice from the guys there. so thought i will post here also as the more advice i get the more i learn.....i think? :eek:

So the guys over there are recommending as far as possible to go down the used route and with a possible budget of £600 (that is a might be), i am looking for a Turntable, Amp, Speakers. I will not have the readies until next month for most of it however i might have a couple of hundred by monday possibly. So any advice to this newbie is very much appreciated.:)

An unthrashed un-dj'd Technics,
Harmon Kardon HK6550 amp...
hmmm...speakers... look at the the less trendy under the radar kit. Epos, Mission, Castle, Mordant Short, Tannoy DC2000, Heybrook h100's - and if you have any change spend it on upgrading whatever cartridge comes on the Technics.

I'd probably start with your room, how big is it, where will the speakers be?

What sort of volumes do you like?

What music do you listen to mainly?

Then I'd spend as much of that budget as realistically possible on the speakers.

TT
Thorens TD150
AR Legend

Amp
JVC AX 3

Speakers to taste!

You won't need £600. The AX 3 will take on all comers, it sounded better than a NAIM 72/135 in my system.

TD150 is superb as is the Legend.

Speakers really are to taste and loads of ace ones around for £100 or less.

I note that you are Newcastle. I have a Cyrus 2 integrated and a Golding GR2 turntable in the loft The Goldring has a very good 1012GX cartridge. You are welcome to try them.

A Thorens TD150 beats a Rega P2 all day.

Raysa's GR2 and Cyrus 2 would be good, then speakers to suit, and upgrade as you see fit. This would come in well below any £600.

I'd probably start with your room, how big is it, where will the speakers be?

What sort of volumes do you like?

What music do you listen to mainly?

Then I'd spend as much of that budget as realistically possible on the speakers.
This ^^

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
These old amps being recommended aren't the caps going to be shot by now so servicing is going to be needed?

I'd go source first, but as others have pointed out the room is important.

Rega Planar 3/RB300 - £250 ish

Arcam Alpha 6 (decent phono stages in these) £100 (max, probably a lot less)

Mission 760is/MS10is/Kytes (£100 max, prob less for the Missions)

Leaves £150 for cart/cables/half decent speaker stands

Ion Obelisk 1 will not drive Kans. It has more sense...;)

3X-X-Pak might. but I suspect getting a bit sought after and pricey?

For good and relatively easy to drive speakers..

Tannoy 603/605/609

Kef Cresta 1 and 2 were superb and should be cheap now.

A certain dealership in Warrington is selling RP1/Pioner A2 and little Dali speakers for about £600. Doesn't sound half bad.

Mull

advertisement

Back