advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

miero

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital

a.k.a. "MiniDAC" designed by Jarek and JohnW from the "MDAC First Listen" thread has been announced:
https://www.sempre-audio.at/Pro-Ject_Pre_Box_S2_digital_-_Der_neue_digitale_Star.id.5651.htm

Pro-Ject-Pre-Box-S2-digital-03.jpg

Hi-res audio based on a fine DAC and a very accurate master clock, supporting data with up to 32 bits and 768 kHz or DSD up to DSD512 via a particularly sophisticated USB interface, which eliminates any interference By MQA and Roon Labs LLC's Roon-tested DAC.

??

Yes its Jareks and my design - the original basis of the design is our FDAC / MDAC2 XMOS "software" development board.

Sadly the first production batch (and being reviewed) was manufactured without our approved components (Note the Pink / Silver organic capacitors) - and a few other changes.

I brought this to Heinz attention and he's insured me that changes will be made and correct parts used in the future production. As a designer, no one likes to see unapproved design changes - I was VERY surprised at the "political" issues we faced working with a Czech / Slovak production company's - it does make me appreciate working in China more and its kind of sad to say that!

Using my contacts I ordered the correct capacitors - so it appear Heinz a man of his word :) and I very much appreciate that :)

Its a good little DAC, Dual ESS9038Q2M, Multi regulated PSU, Polypropylene capacitors and precision MELF resistors etc... but you have to consider its small size and theres only so much that can be squeezed into such as design and yet still keeping it simple for production in Europe.

You want a small no nonsense DAC for your Office / Bedroom etc its perfect.

Supports MQA and is Roon certified...

The DAC really appreciates a good clean PSU - and works very well with the Detox.

Its also works well with DSD :) DSD performance has been much improved with the new Hyperstream II DAC's from ESS - I'm glad that we are able to use the latest Hyperstream II devices in MDAC2 / FDAC.
Source: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3105597&postcount=796

Could be interested in this - but only with the approved parts. Therefore, the question is how could that be achieved with certainty I wonder?

Is it actually on sale anywhere?

300Pcs had been manufactured a few months back with more every month so they must be in the supply chain somewhere...

Expect supply to be VERY limited as demand from distributors is huge.

300Pcs had been manufactured a few months back with more every month so they must be in the supply chain somewhere...

Expect supply to be VERY limited as demand from distributors is huge.
Thanks John
It does look interesting but I couldn't find anyone selling it yet on a google search. Presumably that means the first production bath is still unsold?

Have the unapproved 'design amendments' that were made to the first batch been undone in later batches? Just wondering if I should wait before thinking about getting one.

The web page shows three models: a straight DAC, a DAC/headphone amp and the full DAC/preamp. Only the preamp description talks about it being dual mono, with doubled-up DAC chips. Presumably this is the one to go for for best sound?

advertisement

Back