advertisement

Sennheiser v Audeze

kimmiles

pfm Member
I have the opportunity to buy either a pair of Audeze LCD-2 or Sennheiser HD800's for about the same price (second hand) BUT without hearing them!
Which one??? I've got Hifiman 400i's and am very pleased with them but would love to get a top set of 'phones!
Any advice would be welcome.
Listen to all sorts of music from rock to jazz to classical.
Thanks

They are both very good but very different phones - the answer completely depends on your taste. I think if you want to hear every pin drop detail of the mix then the Sennheiser. If you want to sit back and bask in the warmth of the whole band then the Audeze.

Both excellent, both different, you really need to listen to both to make a decision you can live with.

Not only do these sound very different, just as importantly for long term use, they feel very different on the old bonce. Comfort (or lack of fatigue) can trump tiny sonic differences.

I have had both audeze lcd2 and senns 800s, both are very different the senns are very detailed to me more for classical music and jazz a bright set of phones, and very comfortable. The audeze are more for rock and are very dark with a deep bass, very much like going to a rock concert although they do a good job with classical. The only draw back with the Audeze can be comfort part depends on the person. The two are completely different, I would try to listen to both before you buy. I now use lcd3s and am now happy:)

I have had LCD2, 3 and 4.
They all had to go back due to quality control issues.
On the otherhand my HD800's are built to last forever.
Now i could have been very unlucky....
So whilst SQ is paramount, bear in mind build quality as well.

800's all the way, but you need a decent amp, preferably a good valve amp. Then they are spectacularly good, but definitely on the accurate side. In the right set up they can be spine tingling....

I had the LCD3's for a brief period, good cans but veiled and over blown by comparison, way to heavy and hot on the ears too. The 800's are the opposite, you hardly know you're wearing them.

Get a cable made up for the Senns which can improve them further. Go for the 800S's if you can, they're a big step up from the standard 800's.

not heard the senns but my lcd2 sounds pretty damn good.
i use mine with a headphone correction filter which removes the slight "dark" sound signature.
i believe the senns also benefit greatly from a dedicated filter.

having said this i am currently using my hd650 with a correction filter and i prefer this over my lcd2 purely because of the comfort issues with the audeze.

Not only do these sound very different, just as importantly for long term use, they feel very different on the old bonce. Comfort (or lack of fatigue) can trump tiny sonic differences.

And this is why I chose senns over grados :p

They are both very good but very different phones - the answer completely depends on your taste. I think if you want to hear every pin drop detail of the mix then the Sennheiser. If you want to sit back and bask in the warmth of the whole band then the Audeze.

Exactly describes my experience when listening to both these cans. I much preferred the Audeze really spectacular sound to my ears, really full and plenty of detail but not as sharp as the Senns.
Come to think of it when I heard the Audeze it was the LCD3's.

It depends. Are you fond of having something on your head that feels like a medieval torture device? If so, the Audeze is the clear winner.

OTOH if you like something so comfortable you can wear it for hours get the Sennheisers. Oh, and they sound better too. A lot better.

It depends. Are you fond of having something on your head that feels like a medieval torture device? If so, the Audeze is the clear winner.

OTOH if you like something so comfortable you can wear it for hours get the Sennheisers. Oh, and they sound better too. A lot better.

+1, but should you eventually go for LCD's, from what I've read look for better cabling.

I have just got a pair of 800's with a Quad PA-One headphone amp.

Very comfortable to wear, amazing sound, can listen for hours, appreciate you cannot listen but I doubt you will not like them.

I can only comment on Hd800s and as others have stated they are extremely comfortable that you can wear for hours. My only concern is that to get the best out of them you will require a very good amp (preferably valve) and a good Dac ( Mojo is a little cracker). My initial thoughts running the Mojo only(amp/dac) were unimpressive and i was disappointed with the Senns, adding a valve amp brought the performance to audiophile quality and i am totally chuffed with the overall results. So to summarise the Hd800s are fantastic but only with the right setup

I've run my HS800S with a Questyle QP1R and it was great.

Of course it's better through my Chord 2Qute and Violectric 280 (an insanely good setup) but I could be happy with the little QP1R.

I echo all that has been said already. LCD sound shut in, with a too (for me) prominent bass. Similar to HD600, they are like having your head in a vice compared to HD800. I lived happily with a pair of PS1000 for two years, much preferring them to my (early) HD800s. It was only taking a flyer on a second (later) pair of HD800s that I realised the Grado were tiring to listen to, with sibilant treble. Driven properly, HD800s are all the headphone needed, and a bargain at the price. I preferred them to my 009/007T Kimik setup.

advertisement

Back