advertisement

trying to modify NAIM Lavender cable

analogmusic

pfm Member
Hello all,

I just purchased a Naim RCA to DIN cable, and I really want to fit WBT plugs on it.

I managed to remove the RCA plugs (a bit crudely as they don't come off easily) but the RCA wires that feed into the DIN are a bit too short for me (my Chord DAC has the RCA outputs spaced apart a bit too far)

so if I wanted to replace the RCA wires, they look like single core simple wires, shielded, and very thin.

Would I lose that "naim sound" by modifying the cable that feeds lavender part of the cable?

Thanks

Links to the picture of the cable

http://imgur.com/agWF8A1

agWF8A1

When I used to convert the grey ones for tape use I had to put small bore heatshrink over each individual core. You may need something to bulk them out with though as most phono plugs are designed for much larger diameter cables.

Thanks MJS

What is the AWG or diameter of the black part of this cable?

And is it soldered to the lavender part?

Cheers
A

the naim sound is "generated" by the topology of the circuits not the cables ! though changing the cables should affect the sound, but not its character or by a huge amount thats already been determined. The "wall of sound" as it has been described in the past, and I'd liken it with a photographic analogy the naim sound is like a fish eye lens compared to a standard 50mm lens. And before anyone say to the contrary, I've done the comparisons back to back feeding a naim cd5i and a quad 99cdp2 through the same amp with identical discs started as close together as possible and using a remote to flick between them. Interestingly its just the presentation that differed, the sound was reasonably similar. Examining the cd5 this seem to have an extra set of circuits post dac ...the "time alignment " ? so my guess is thats were the " house sound " is generated. Which is a shame as a fair bit of spatial information is squashed up at the extremes of the image.....imo

the naim sound is "generated" by the topology of the circuits not the cables ! though changing the cables should affect the sound, but not its character or by a huge amount thats already been determined. The "wall of sound" as it has been described in the past, and I'd liken it with a photographic analogy the naim sound is like a fish eye lens compared to a standard 50mm lens. And before anyone say to the contrary, I've done the comparisons back to back feeding a naim cd5i and a quad 99cdp2 through the same amp with identical discs started as close together as possible and using a remote to flick between them. Interestingly its just the presentation that differed, the sound was reasonably similar. Examining the cd5 this seem to have an extra set of circuits post dac ...the "time alignment " ? so my guess is thats were the " house sound " is generated. Which is a shame as a fair bit of spatial information is squashed up at the extremes of the image.....imo

TBH That made me wonder if they do what I tend to. This is to add a cross-bleed set of resistors to reduce the level of channel isolation. Slightly alters the spread of the image.

No they don't do that , Jim; but Naim generally has long gone for a 7-pole Bessel output filter alignment - starting from their original (proper) 'reconstruction' stage back in the days of multibit dacs. As a result it's more complex than seen in the average/budget CD player (a bit of lowpass at a set frequency, and a buffer if you are lucky)

I really would not know, but when you've heard the effect it rather colors your opinion of the units. imo this hobby is about getting everything from the software to the ear without messing with it on route !

No they don't do that , Jim; but Naim generally has long gone for a 7-pole Bessel output filter alignment - starting from their original (proper) 'reconstruction' stage back in the days of multibit dacs.

Ah. I used to add a 'Toko' passive low-pass filter to the output of my old 1st gen Marantz CD player. Sadly, these filters seem hen's teeth these days. They made ones designed for the Yamaha FM tuners that actively nulled out the pilot tone. So the filter could be flat to about 19kHz then roll away. More modern DACs/players don't seem to me to need them, though.
That said, it may be that my ears now can't hear the HF anyway! 8-]

advertisement

Back