advertisement

Who has heard the new Proac Tablette 10?

I decided to change my order for the ebony finish, they wont be in stock until mid April!

They're either in high demand and struggling to meet the orders or are made in small batches from the looks of it.

Oh well.

Good things come to those who wait

I am aware it's all down to personal taste and preferences. Although the Tablette 10 is a good sounding speaker, how does it compare with the rest of the Proac monitors? The Tablette 10 is the cheapest model in the Proac line.

Proac Tablette 10 £999 / £1075 premium finishes
Proac Tablette Anniversary £1325
Proac Response DB1 £1900
Proac Response DB3 £?
Proac Response D2 £2100

I already have the Dali Mentor Menuets but am still searching for the ultimate bookshelf that I can hang on for life. Not really looking for the "flavour of the month" sort of thing. A dealer mentioned that the DB1 and D2 sound better than the Tablette 10 which adds to the confusion. Also there is the ATC SCM19 v2. Perhaps I"ll start a new thread on this.

The thing about the Tablette 10 that appeals to me is it's a sealed box. The rosewood and ebony finishes look delicious as well. Not too sure about the sound though. My last Proac experience was the Tablette 50 Signatures. That thing imaged like crazy but ultimately sounded a little lightweight.

Can some seasoned Proac enthusiasts who have experience with the previous Proac models ie. Tablette 50 Signature, SC1 or Reference 8 Signature chime in?

My new satin white tablette 10 should be landing mid next week I will report back once they have had a few days to bed in :)

Who has tried the new Target/Bryston stands for the Tablette?
Are the new stands the same quality of the old ones?
Vincenzo

Well mine have finally arrived, I had an inkling that they'd only sound better than when I demo'd them due to my listening position, better stands, room and amp and I'm happy to be correct in that assumption.

Whilst it's early days and I've only really used my basic digital source (vinyl front end needs tweaking) I'm very impressed with what these tiny things can do , they aren't tight up to the back wall as I can't quite manage that for one reason or another but I'm still playing with positioning and will be most of the day I think.

More listening to do...

Well mine have finally arrived, I had an inkling that they'd only sound better than when I demo'd them due to my listening position, better stands, room and amp and I'm happy to be correct in that assumption.

Whilst it's early days and I've only really used my basic digital source (vinyl front end needs tweaking) I'm very impressed with what these tiny things can do , they aren't tight up to the back wall as I can't quite manage that for one reason or another but I'm still playing with positioning and will be most of the day I think.

More listening to do...

Thanks for the update. Would appreciate if you can share the details of your system. What amp are you using to drive the Proac Tablette 10s. Do you have experience with the older Proac monitors such as Tablette 50 Signature or Reference 8 Signature and if yes, how does the Tablette 10 compare to these speakers.

Amp is a Luxman SQ-N100, yes previously owned Ref 8 Sigs and Studio 110s. Hard to compare as It's years since I owned those and both with different amps.

Got the position dialled in now to suit me. First thing that has struck me is how brutal they are on poor/average recordings.

Bass, for the size of box and driver is fantastic, not overly dry or boxy but on the right side of fruity to make them sound realistic, obviously they aren't a pair of Ditton 66s and wont rattle the windows, but what's there is believable and seamless.

They remind me of the Studio 110 rather than any of the other Tablettes I remember hearing, maybe because the 110 is front ported whilst the Tablettes are traditionally rear ported(?)

The more I listen to them the more I'm loving them. I was a bit apprehensive coming from ES14s, as whilst not a similar design the 14s are far and away the best speaker I've ever owned.

Edit: Another note - I quickly swapped in my pair of Kytes from the TV system which I have always loved what they do, the Tab 10s are in a totally different league, to the point where I was quite miffed how bad the Kytes sounded in comparison - which is rightly so given the gulf in materials, design and price - but still a bit of a shock.

Matt are they still brutal with average recordings?
I love mini monitors and I've been hankering for some sealed box ones.
It's either these or the atc scm 7 or 11.
I would lean towards the ones with better bass and more forgiving side.
This makes me think atc may be the ticket for me.

Amp is a Luxman SQ-N100, yes previously owned Ref 8 Sigs and Studio 110s. Hard to compare as It's years since I owned those and both with different amps.

Ah, tubes and Proac make a classic combination. I was hoping you have the Naim or some other solid-state amps.

Curtis - similarly the Proac Tablette 10 and the ATC SCM11 or 19 are the only small bookshelf speakers that interest me (although I already have the Dali Mentor Menuet which is quite nice). There was a member on the Naim forum who compared both (Tablette 10 and SCM11) and picked the SCM 11 for its superior bass. The Tablette 10 was said to be very nice as well but the SCM 11s worked out better for his needs. I believe both are great speakers with their own sets of strength. The smaller Proac monitors have always fascinated me with their holographic and airy highs. There is a lot of space and air with the Proacs when I had the Tablette 50 Signatures. I do not have experience with the SCM 11 and 19.

Ive owned several Proac Tablettes and Response during decades

They all did that holographic, space & air trick but beeing in the flat earth camp, Prat need to be there before other prorities so ultimately they were not for me.

I love the new Atc 7 or 11, but realising they need something like a 250 or 300 at least, id much rather give the new Tablette 10 a listen if they are easier driven ?

Well I drive them with 10 watts without too much trouble, but I don't listen at ear splitting levels.

To be honest I'm not too much of a PRAT believer so I couldn't say one way or the other if they do it, I would say I don't find them boring or stale in sense at all and don't feel like I'm missing anything when compared to previous so called PRAT speakers I've owned.

I would say they take a little bit more driving to achieve a satisfactory performance when compared to the ES14s, I think the small driver needs to be driven a little to get the bass moving, but it's nothing significant.

I don't think ProAc and ATC are natural competitors, size wise maybe but I wouldn't have thought they'd have too much else in common to be rivals.

I don't think ProAc and ATC are natural competitors, size wise maybe but I wouldn't have thought they'd have too much else in common to be rivals.

Differences aside, I like the quest beeing able to perform close to wall, more of this please

Yes the Tablette 10s are fine up against a wall, ironically I prefer mine about 10" away from the back wall which is where I've settled on so far, still experimenting though so maybe they'll move about a bit yet.

Yes the Tablette 10s are fine up against a wall, ironically I prefer mine about 10" away from the back wall which is where I've settled on so far, still experimenting though so maybe they'll move about a bit yet.

Remind me my nSats need some experiments too before getting them finally, same really with Edens

They all did that holographic, space & air trick but beeing in the flat earth camp, Prat need to be there before other prorities so ultimately they were not for me.

I love the new Atc 7 or 11, but realising they need something like a 250 or 300 at least, id much rather give the new Tablette 10 a listen if they are easier driven ?

I would expect something with around 100 watts a side with decent current delivery would be sufficient to drive the atc's.

ATC SCM11 with Naim NAP 300 might be a bit of an overkill since the overall cost of the amplification alone would be £9,996 with the NAC 282 and HCDR connected to the NAP 300. If the NAP 300 is matched with the NAC 252 and Supercap DR it would be even costlier. It might be a better option to go with active ATC speakers if spending that amount of money for amplification. Personally the NAP 250 DR would be the most I would consider for passive ATC speakers.

Well I drive them with 10 watts without too much trouble, but I don't listen at ear splitting levels.

To be honest I'm not too much of a PRAT believer so I couldn't say one way or the other if they do it, I would say I don't find them boring or stale in sense at all and don't feel like I'm missing anything when compared to previous so called PRAT speakers I've owned.

I would say they take a little bit more driving to achieve a satisfactory performance when compared to the ES14s, I think the small driver needs to be driven a little to get the bass moving, but it's nothing significant.

Can you expand a bit on the remark in bold. Do you imply that the Tablette 10s do not sound quite engaging at low volume levels. Do they sound thin with little or no bass at low volume levels? Do you need to increase the volume to moderate levels say 60 dB +/- to achieve a balanced sound ie. a sound that has sufficient bass thumping along.

I am not answering your question but generally most inefficient small speakers need power and a bit of volume to come alive.

advertisement

Back