advertisement

The 2017 F1 Thread

So Symonds is saying that the shark fin can cause the rear wing to stall out?

That is only going to happen if the driver has started to lose the rear and the yaw angle is large. Stall happens anyway in this circumstance, it may just happen a bit earlier and more suddenly with a fin.

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of those. Makes the cars even fugglier. And what is that "TV aerial" thing mounted at the back of some of the cars' fins? Ban those immediately for being bloody distracting.

They're both banned for next year.

Like every previous year...

Ha-ha.
Why do you watch then? I have been a fan, or involved in F1, since the early '60s and it has always been a mainly technical competition and overtaking was rarely prevalent in any season.
If you are expecting the nature of F1 to suddenly change you are going to always be disappointed.
For people who are not interested by the technical challenges in motorsport most other series are a better spectator sport than F1.

I heard the driver radio feed Ian and Lewis' tyres were shot. He said he couldn't keep up his pace, so if Merc need to do anything it will be to work out why Ferrari (or just Vettel) were able to keep good tyre performance for longer. So it looks like the undercut on Hamilton actually may well have been possible for Vettel.
I am not sure if Merc's tyres were really worse or if the driver 'feel' is just different. Lewis said his tyres were shot however he wasn't really under any threat, and Bottas said his were although he seemed quite able to do another 3 or 4 laps on them. It still would have worked out for Lewis if Red Bull hadn't run quite so long, but those extra 2 or 3 laps behind Max gave Ferrari track position.

They're both banned for next year.
Not soon enough IMV. They keep saying how much better the cars look but to my eyes they look awful with the stepped noses, the shark fins and coathangers. The lower wider look is a bit lost. Still if they keep telling themselves ...

I am not sure if Merc's tyres were really worse or if the driver 'feel' is just different. Lewis said his tyres were shot however he wasn't really under any threat, and Bottas said his were although he seemed quite able to do another 3 or 4 laps on them. It still would have worked out for Lewis if Red Bull hadn't run quite so long, but those extra 2 or 3 laps behind Max gave Ferrari track position.

That is how I see it. Lewis' lap times were fine at that point and even if he had slowed down a bit on future laps, he would been very difficult to overtake and the closer Vettel would have got to Lewis, the more Vettel would have damaged his tires.

Racing at Melbourne is all about track position, giving it up by pitting early, and coming out behind Verstappen, was a bad call.

I heard the driver radio feed Ian and Lewis' tyres were shot. He said he couldn't keep up his pace, so if Merc need to do anything it will be to work out why Ferrari (or just Vettel) were able to keep good tyre performance for longer. So it looks like the undercut on Hamilton actually may well have been possible for Vettel.
OTOH Melbourne, as you say, has never been a good indicator of relative pace.

I missed the radio call, but even with those comments, I still stick by my comments in the post above, supporting Patrick's view.

Those of us who hate F1 or are eternally bored by it, don't watch it.

Those who watch it, but think something is 'missing', give the season a chance.

To everyone: support your local race track. Lots of fun to be had.

It's as though both Merc and Lewis had in their heads that the tyres "fall off a cliff" but these 2017 ones don't or so we are told.

Those of us who hate F1 or are eternally bored by it, don't watch it.

Those who watch it, but think something is 'missing', give the season a chance.

To everyone: support your local race track. Lots of fun to be had.

I didn't watch for years but have come back to it recently because of my interest in sim racing. I think the secret to enjoying it is to realise that you don't really need to watch the races but rather just follow the ins and outs of it from a distance. In that context all its ridiculousness makes much more sense and it's sort of like a high tech, multi-million $ soap opera.

Exactly so: the race, such as it is, is controlled by the engineers, the technicians, the computer geeks and above all The Strategists (who deserve the capitalisation).

The driver is a mere puppet whose role is to play the prima donna with his tantrums and outrageous demands and endless excuses and blaming of others. "How am I supposed to overtake Verstappen in my better, faster car and my being last year the second best driver in the world" for example.

Well that wasn't really what I meant and the drivers obviously play a full part. I just think the actual racing is less interesting than the sport

I am not sure why Hamilton attracts so much vitriol given that racing drivers are generally either completely lovely and liked by everyone or, for want of a better word, dicks. No aspersions on Cav but I can't think of anything that makes him stand out from other drivers.

Exactly so: the race, such as it is, is controlled by the engineers, the technicians, the computer geeks and above all The Strategists (who deserve the capitalisation).

The driver is a mere puppet whose role is to play the prima donna with his tantrums and outrageous demands and endless excuses and blaming of others. "How am I supposed to overtake Verstappen in my better, faster car and my being last year the second best driver in the world" for example.

Oh my, nice gerund ;)

No aspersions on Cav but I can't think of anything that makes him stand out from other drivers.

His skin colour? His McLaren upbringing from an early stage? Battling for the title in his first season?

Don't worry, I'm not really a fan, and he has plenty of faults. But for two top teams to take him on and keep him isn't bad going. And for me, when he's really on it, he's very watchable.

Several strong hints that overtaking in this seasons cars is going to be rarer than last year, so surely that makes it even less interesting for spectators?

His skin colour? His McLaren upbringing from an early stage? Battling for the title in his first season?

I think there is an element of race in the vitriol he attracts. But then I also think a lot of it is because he is the guy at the top and the history of F1 is mostly about people having marmite reactions to best driver of their generation (Schumacher, Prost/Senna, etc.). That are that fact that F1 drivers often are an unpleasant combination of massive ego, and over indulged and spoilt rich rich kids and the David Coulthards and Jenson Buttons are very much the exception.

I think there is an element of race in the vitriol he attracts. But then I also think a lot of it is because he is the guy at the top and the history of F1 is mostly about people having marmite reactions to best driver of their generation (Schumacher, Prost/Senna, etc.). That are that fact that F1 drivers often are an unpleasant combination of massive ego, and over indulged and spoilt rich rich kids and the David Coulthards and Jenson Buttons are very much the exception.

You're probably quite right there. I disliked Senna til April 1993. Then I went to watch the European GP at Donington, that classic wet race. It was obvious to everyone that he was very special that day, making Prost look amateur. From that day I decided to take a more positive view of the winners, the dominators.

Difficult at times!

advertisement

Back