advertisement

Heat Shrink...????

Same here, I use the lower part of my soldering iron tip. Make sure it's clean first. I sometimes use one of those long lighters with an adjustable flame.

A hair-dryer won't get near hot enough.
It depends on the size and what you are sleeving. If you can rotate the item being sleeved, and hold it several inches above a cooker ring, that will produce a better finish more quickly and more easily than using a soldering-iron.

The soldering iron method is quite good for one or two applications but if you have much heatshrinking to do a heat gun is preferable. Proper ones are quite expensive but I have used a Black & Decker paint stripping gun for many years now, normally on the lower setting.
I haven`t tried a hairdryer but I suspect it wouldn`t be hot enough, also difficult to direct the heat only to where it is needed.

The soldering iron method is quite good for one or two applications but if you have much heatshrinking to do a heat gun is preferable. Proper ones are quite expensive but I have used a Black & Decker paint stripping gun for many years now, normally on the lower setting.
I haven`t tried a hairdryer but I suspect it wouldn`t be hot enough, also difficult to direct the heat only to where it is needed.

I have a hot air station which works brilliantly but if the iron is already heated up and I only have a couple of items to do then I use my iron. I also have an Iroda Pro gas iron (well three of them actually) with blow torch and hot air attachments which are easily the best tool for the job. They have proven invaluable over the years for field work both on PA systems and Auto installs.

By far the best thing I have ever used for heat shrink is a cheap electric hot air paint stripper. They start from about £12 new, but I paid £4 for mine second hand. i'm sure it would be pretty crap for its designed purpose, but offers fast heat up and very hot air. Works a treat.

Hot air gun. Or a lighter in an emergency. I have reels of the stuff, up to 2" dia, and an adjustable hot air gun is the only sensible method.

Heat gun is awesome, but usually I use a gas soldering iron and the exhaust on the side is perfect in most occasions.

Your Weller gun looks great Pete!

Just after putting some of this onto the wiring loom of an old motorbike. Got a box of assorted diameter sheaths from the local motor-factors. Looks to be a fairly basic rubber compound - no fancy braiding or suchlike. It ss marked '125 deg C'. A hair-dryer worked perfectly on it.

Anyone up for a loan of my 2 belden home made cables.

Have a 5m extension lead too, fitted with iec.

will happily post them out to anyone who wishes to give them a go, just pay return postage.

Maybe the op would be interested, he seemed curious.

Hold it over an open gas flame on your cooker if you have one, works a treat for me, takes a few seconds to shrink.
A bit tricky when you have all this to do.
20160629_161601_zpsbmdoakbg.jpg

Late to the thread, but another vote for a paint stripper/heat gun.

Nothing like the satisfaction of watching the heat shrink reducing in size over a good joint. (Solder not the, err, other type)

advertisement

Back