advertisement

Brexit: Article 50 to be triggered 29 March

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39325561

'Prime Minister Theresa May is to officially notify the European Union next Wednesday that the UK is leaving.

Downing Street said she would write a letter to the EU's 27 other members, adding that it expected negotiations to then begin as quickly as possible.

The move comes nine months after people voted 51.9% to 48.1% in a referendum.

Talks on the terms of the departure and future relations are not allowed under the Article 50 process until the UK formally tells the EU it is leaving.

If all goes according to the two year negotiations set out in the official timetable, Brexit should happen in March 2019.'

No. I voted out of the EU, not the single market. If Cameron had not wimped off, this would not be going the way it is. I wanted less bureacracy, not less freedom.

I get the feeling that Theresa May is a single issue politician - immigration. Immigration defined her at the Home Office (where she was not afraid to irreparably damage the image of the UK for non EU foreign students by making their path to a job in the UK post study as hard as possible) and immigration will define her as PM.

Immigration is her defining issue, and everything else (economy, international image as a tolerant open country) will be sacrificed to reduce the net migration numbers.

I think she is spectacularly short sighted and will inflict tremendous long term damage on the country with her parochial views.

I rather think this was designed to encompass two whole tax years, as they're certainly going to be taxing !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39325561

'Prime Minister Theresa May is to officially notify the European Union next Wednesday that the UK is leaving.

Downing Street said she would write a letter to the EU's 27 other members, adding that it expected negotiations to then begin as quickly as possible.

The move comes nine months after people voted 51.9% to 48.1% in a referendum.

Talks on the terms of the departure and future relations are not allowed under the Article 50 process until the UK formally tells the EU it is leaving.

If all goes according to the two year negotiations set out in the official timetable, Brexit should happen in March 2019.'

Do you vote for the Tories? If not which political party do you vote for?

It would be good to have a straightforward, honest answer. Shouldn't be difficult.

Jack

I get the feeling that Theresa May is a single issue politician - immigration. Immigration defined her at the Home Office (where she was not afraid to irreparably damage the image of the UK for non EU foreign students by making their path to a job in the UK post study as hard as possible) and immigration will define her as PM.

Immigration is her defining issue, and everything else (economy, international image as a tolerant open country) will be sacrificed to reduce the net migration numbers.

I think she is spectacularly short sighted and will inflict tremendous long term damage on the country with her parochial views.

I agree. She kind of qualifies as a racist. A bit like Trump really.

Jack

So, the most likely timetable is, as Joe H says, Brexit in March 2019.

To fill in a bit more detail, this means:

March 2017: Article 50 invoked.

April 2017 to approx. September 2018: negotiations, largely in secret ('no running commentary', remember).

Approx. October 2018 - approx. February 2019. Ratification of Brexit agreement in UK, EU and EU27 national parliaments. If not unanimously agreed (and that's a lot of ducks to get in a row), then hard Brexit default, with UK still leaving.

March 2019: Brexit.

I would hope there might be an early interim agreement over the fates of those living 'in the wrong place', but it's looking more and more like a forlorn hope at this point.

Anyone see it panning out significantly differently?

No. I voted out of the EU, not the single market. If Cameron had not wimped off, this would not be going the way it is. I wanted less bureacracy, not less freedom.

It is a shame that the European elites are still taking the attitude ( across Europe as a whole ) that "they should go back and vote again until they get it right"

It is that attitude that spoils the job for me. Blair is back doing the rounds with exactly that attitude. The more he bats for Europe the further away from it all I want to be.

Do you vote for the Tories? If not which political party do you vote for?

It would be good to have a straightforward, honest answer. Shouldn't be difficult.

Jack

Sometimes Labour, latterly LibDem, never Tories. I switched to the LibDems because a) they were more committed to staying in the EU and b) they opposed the invasion of Iraq. I was out of the country at the time of the last General Election, and didn't vote for anyone. Labour won my constituency from the LibDems at the Election.

It is a shame that the European elites are still taking the attitude ( across Europe as a whole ) that "they should go back and vote again until they get it right"

It is that attitude that spoils the job for me. Blair is back doing the rounds with exactly that attitude. The more he bats for Europe the further away from it all I want to be.

I do love the 'elites' narrative. Given that Banks, Farage, Gove, IDS, Redwood, Johnson and co are about as elite as it gets. You don't think that a decision taken in good faith can ever be reviewed in the light of better information? Or more likely, the folks taking it might never get restless if it doesn't pan out how they were promised? I seriously doubt that.

People are very fickle and certainly won't lamely sit there and say "ah well we voted for it, it's our fault".

So, the most likely timetable is, as Joe H says, Brexit in March 2019.

To fill in a bit more detail, this means:

March 2017: Article 50 invoked.

April 2017 to approx. September 2018: negotiations, largely in secret ('no running commentary', remember).

Approx. October 2018 - approx. February 2019. Ratification of Brexit agreement in UK, EU and EU27 national parliaments. If not unanimously agreed (and that's a lot of ducks to get in a row), then hard Brexit default, with UK still leaving.

March 2019: Brexit.

I would hope there might be an early interim agreement over the fates of those living 'in the wrong place', but it's looking more and more like a forlorn hope at this point.

Anyone see it panning out significantly differently?

Brits have been living and working all over Europe (and the other 167 ish countries of the world for that matter) for years prior to us joining the EU, its not going to change now.

So basically you wanted to have your cake and eat it. Only word for that - naive.:D

I think you summed it up there!

I was completely taken by surprise when he resigned. And I'm still half expecting the witch to go "aha, just kidding, I was bluffing those EU knobs. This is the deal we got. Party on England, Wales and Northern Ireland, bye-bye Scotland!"

advertisement

Back