advertisement

Are Koetsus worth it?

Graham, If you were using a 14g arm, doesn't that deny a level playing field, considering what you said earlier in this thread about the neccessity of using a heavy arm with a Miyajima?

No. I was making reference to some of the ML cartridges, namely the Shilabe and the Wasa which have a vertical compliance of 8×10-6cm/dyne. These have a resonant frequency of >12Hz with a 14 gram effective mass tonearm like the TW 10.5 which is very likely to mistrack. On any tonearm less than 14 grams EM the resonant frequency will be higher! Actually I think ML vertical compliance figures for some of their models are somewhat enthusiastic as I have had these mistrack on a 20gram tonearm! I mentioned this as something to be aware of when matching a ML cartridge to a tonearm.

Having said that the Kensui and Madake are more modern designs (<5 years) and have a vertical compliance of 9×10-6cm/dyne which is more suited to current tonearms and this brings the resonant frequency down to 11Hz (with a 14gm tonearm). This works with the TW tonearm without any mistracking and sounds full and dynamic. Normally I aim to get the resonant frequency down to 10Hz so there is a couple of Hz leeway either way.
Check out the show reports in the USA and you will see the TW10.5 tonearm and the Madake are used a lot together, as are the ML mono cartridges too.

The rest of the system (SN2/Harbeth Compact 7s) is pretty much geared towards a mixture of midband insight (going through a jazz and chamber phase...helped by the Vida) with just a tinge of PRaT for old times' sake.

I seem to remember Jason Kennedy putting a 17D3 on his SME20 with apparently great results. But I did live with 17Ds for the best part of a decade (on an LP12/Aro and then a P9), so part of me is willing the change. Plus I do take your point Tony that's it's not as simple as light/dark.

I could probably stretch to an Urushi, but it's still a big stretch. With any luck I might find a dealer who might be willing to dem. Any volunteers welcome....
Interesting thread from which I have picked up a lot. If by SN2 you mean Supernait 2, then I think that dropping 3-4K on a cartridge is taking source first a bit far. I would seriuosly consider better amplification before taking the source to such extreme. If not S'nait then please ignore.

Interesting thread from which I have picked up a lot. If by SN2 you mean Supernait 2, then I think that dropping 3-4K on a cartridge is taking source first a bit far. I would seriuosly consider better amplification before taking the source to such extreme. If not S'nait then please ignore.

I will ignore in any case :)

Yes it is a SuperNait2, fronted by a very good analogue front end. It is completely capable of revealing changes to that front end.

The excellent Guildford Audio (whose service I heartily commend) will be lending me something interesting in the near future.

I will ignore in any case :)

Yes it is a SuperNait2, fronted by a very good analogue front end. It is completely capable of revealing changes to that front end.

The excellent Guildford Audio (whose service I heartily commend) will be lending me something interesting in the near future.

Ignore away mate. Your choices after all. Do you have a dedicated phono stage? I might have missed this.

I will take your word on Guildford Audio. I wish I was a bit nearer them or any other decent Naim dealer for support and demos. There is no such choice in Greece! I have to squeeze in shop visits on trips back to the UK which is not ideal; sometimes buy blind. There is a Hifi cabal here but since the Greek crash, shops do not hold much if any stock. Do let us know about your interesting loaner from GA.

Ignore away mate. Your choices after all. Do you have a dedicated phono stage? I might have missed this.

I will take your word on Guildford Audio. I wish I was a bit nearer them or any other decent Naim dealer for support and demos. There is no such choice in Greece! I have to squeeze in shop visits on trips back to the UK which is not ideal; sometimes buy blind. There is a Hifi cabal here but since the Greek crash, shops do not hold much if any stock. Do let us know about your interesting loaner from GA.

No post-olive Naim integrated or pre has an internal phono stage. I have an Aurorasound Vida, which I admire tremendously for its neutrality and midband insight.

Greece is interesting. I recall a band of ultra-high end enthusiasts there (and perhaps some similar small scale manufacturers?), at least pre-2008.

Guildford Audio had to take my SME away last week because of a bearing fault - for which I was probably responsible. I was terrified that I might be looking at the thick end of several months to get it back. But turns out it's coming back at the end of this week, quite possibly with a Rosewood Signature attached. Great service from them and SME.

Tim,
I am not familiar with the Aurorasound brand and will have a look at the Vida. When I went down the Naim path I bought the Stageline just to keep things in the fold and also as I was not able to trial alternatives. I was in Yemen at the time so bought blind.
For me the vinyl side was a legacy issue just because I always owned a “record player”. In the last few years I have been taking it more seriously and now buy more vinyl than CD. I replaced a P5 with the RP8 and added the Superline. As I had a spare Supercap after going 252 to 552, the phono stage will remain for some time. Again mainly due to limited options here to try before you buy. I did find a Rega dealer in Athens recently and will be in touch about hearing the RP10.
I think the hifi gang are still clinging on here. The local aficionado website is not that active anymore. There was a “High End Show” here last October. It was a bit haphazard being a local event but fun nonetheless. The dealers were all of the same view that people were not spending anymore on such luxuries and hence the low stock levels which I can understand. There is no real secondary market either.
Good news on your SME. I hope it comes back fully fettled and let us know how you get on with the Rosewood. I’m still faffing with loading settings on my Apheta. I see you play bass too. I have the same hobby but no live gigs here unfortunately for me. Too old to be in a boy band these days.

BODGER, I was very ha[ppy indeed with my Supercapped Superline (+Burndy & HiLine) into 552. It became a real hassle, though, when I changed decks and went two arm/cart's.

One big design fault of the Superline (for me) was the difficulty of plugging in /unplugging, as there should be grab handles incorporated.

However, all gone now in favour of all valved amplification and built-in phono stages ( better* and very different with my Quad 2905 'statics)

* More holography, ambience and dynamics.

BODGER, I was very ha[ppy indeed with my Supercapped Superline (+Burndy & HiLine) into 552. It became a real hassle, though, when I changed decks and went two arm/cart's.

One big design fault of the Superline (for me) was the difficulty of plugging in /unplugging, as there should be grab handles incorporated.

However, all gone now in favour of all valved amplification and built-in phono stages ( better* and very different with my Quad 2905 'statics)

* More holography, ambience and dynamics.

Mike, I hear you about the plugging issue.

I have only heard the 2905's once. Very impressed.

Dave

advertisement

Back