advertisement

Pre Raspberry Pi delivery question please.

Roon is more or less £90 a year now with the crap exchange rates.

That's correct. You make your choices. My yearly subscription comes to an end next month. I've been mulling over whether I'll renew. It is a great piece of software though and has has great improvements in its most recent update. You can buy a lifetime subscrption. It works out at about £8 a month which I think is fair given the quality of the product and it is superbly integrated with Tidal. My hesitation comes as it does not offer the same quality partnership with other services, such as Qobuz( my preference) and Spotify. It is leagues ahead of any other interface though.

Thanks again guys, and thanks Ronnie for the pm, nice one.

OK, I'm back with ipcore/LMS, better the Devil you know:D

Here's what I want to do, run both integrated IQAUDIO dac and also remote MDAC via USB.

No problem with the IQaudio, got that working great, but how do hook up the MDAC? Do I need another board or something as well as my rpi and dac+?

I have USB'd the RPI to MDAC. The only 2 ways I can see of getting it to work are........
A) Selecting USB in the dropdown of Ipcore instead of IQUADIO DAC.
Did this and it doesn't work

B) When I go SSH and press F6 the MDAC actually shows up, I highlight it via the arrow keys but it never seems to save it when I come out and go back in again to check. How do you save it?...........or is this not the way of doing it anyway.

Cheers again.

Thanks again guys, and thanks Ronnie for the pm, nice one.

OK, I'm back with ipcore/LMS, better the Devil you know:D

Here's what I want to do, run both integrated IQAUDIO dac and also remote MDAC via USB.

No problem with the IQaudio, got that working great, but how do hook up the MDAC? Do I need another board or something as well as my rpi and dac+?

I have USB'd the RPI to MDAC. The only 2 ways I can see of getting it to work are........
A) Selecting USB in the dropdown of Ipcore instead of IQUADIO DAC.
Did this and it doesn't work

B) When I go SSH and press F6 the MDAC actually shows up, I highlight it via the arrow keys but it never seems to save it when I come out and go back in again to check. How do you save it?...........or is this not the way of doing it anyway.

Cheers again.
When you select USB you've also got to put in the new output values, save and reboot.

Sorted it Del. Well done mate, great stuff. Had to put hw in front of the value but all working great now.

So one card for MDAC and one for IQUADIO.

Many thanks again.

Well I hesitated to mention it as I thought you'd already done that earlier and The Man with the Van has done such a great job coaching you. I know where to go to now when I get stuck, as I will. As I inferred earlier there will be frustrations at times but if you keep at it you learn how to circumvent these and it becomes a great journey. How does the Mdac compare with the Iqaudio?
Del

Thanks Del, and yes I should be able to offer advice myself shortly:D

I felt like a true numpty at first, I had no grasp whatsoever of what was what, I can now do quite a bit and flash this and that without any hassles whatsoever. I'll stick with PIcore for now as it does seem to connect and play without any issues and is very stable.

As for IQAUDIO v MDAC. Well, IQAUDIO/RPI certainly had the edge over MDAC/CCA toslink, and was a bit better than MDAC/USB/Laptop.

However, and I've only just got it going thanks to you but RPI/USB/MDAC seems to be very good indeed.

Again, thanks. And yes Ronnie has been a bloody star!!!

I felt like a true numpty at first, I had no grasp whatsoever of what was what, I can now do quite a bit and flash this and that without any hassles whatsoever. I'll stick with PIcore for now as it does seem to connect and play without any issues and is very stable.

As for IQAUDIO v MDAC. Well, IQAUDIO/RPI certainly had the edge over MDAC/CCC toslink, and was a bit better than MDAC/USB/Laptop.

However, and I've only just got it going thanks to you but RPI/USB/MDAC seems to be very good indeed.

Going to be picking your brains next Sunday!

As for IQAUDIO v MDAC. Well, IQAUDIO/RPI certainly had the edge over MDAC/CCC toslink, and was a bit better than MDAC/USB/Laptop.

I read somewhere the the MDac has a USB 1 interface which may be problematic. It may produce clicks or even stop over time, I believe the designer recommends the spdif connection over USB. May be worth some research.

As for IQAUDIO v MDAC. Well, IQAUDIO/RPI certainly had the edge over MDAC/CCA toslink, and was a bit better than MDAC/USB/Laptop.

Kenny, what might be of benefit would be (when you have a quiet hour) to go back through this thread and review some of the posts.

In your eagerness to get things working chop chop and tickety boo I feel that you have missed some of the most straightforward points that have been made to you, especially in regard to the Mdac.

What I recommend, and it's a practice I follow myself, is to cut and paste salient instructions under simple headings, delineated on, say, a WordPad doc
and save it to my Desktop. I must have about 20 at the moment, so that when I can't remember the exact methodology I have a quick reminder.

It's not only the images that require a back-up but also the "how did I do that" and "what do I do now"s.

I don't have any for spelin and gramer ;)

I'll respond tomorrow to your pm.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ronnie

Kenny, what might be of benefit would be (when you have a quiet hour) to go back through this thread and review some of the posts.

In your eagerness to get things working chop chop and tickety boo I feel that you have missed some of the most straightforward points that have been made to you, especially in regard to the Mdac.

What I recommend, and it's a practice I follow myself, is to cut and paste salient instructions under simple headings, delineated on, say, a WordPad doc
and save it to my Desktop. I must have about 20 at the moment, so that when I can't remember the exact methodology I have a quick reminder.

It's not only the images that require a back-up but also the "how did I do that" and "what do I do now"s.

I don't have any for spelin and gramer ;)

I'll respond tomorrow to your pm.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ronnie

This is good advice.Speaking from experience, it's so easy to forget and miss out a simple but important step and sequence is important.it can lead to hours of frustration and tantrums and possible swearing.

Del, Ronnie. Thanks, I agree with you totally. Believe it or not I have been copying and pasting paragraphs of advice from this so helpful thread into Notebook, and in fact it was those notes that saved me the embarrassment of coming back on here to ask how I set it all up again after I really screwed up my first card and corrupted it with daft inputs. The notes sorted it for me.

Again I agree with you both, yes the bits arrived and I was like a bull in a china shop trying to get sounds out of it before the wrappers were off, I admit that. Mrs reckons that's me all over:D

In my own defence you can only gain experience from these things by trying it.
I'd read many things on here and other sites about the undoubted merits a fully working RPI and DAC can bring to a hifi system. I also knew of blokes who'd sold big brand and not inexpensive DACs and equipment in favour of this route.

On the downside I also read many frustrating threads where guys just couldn't get it to work and gave up.
I'm not daft on the Techie side but apart from helpful blokes like you on this thread there is no "manual" to set this up as expected. Yes there are walk throughs on the web about it but they never explained exactly what I was trying to do, each set of instructions seemed to contradict each other.

For instance, Dels advice yesterday on connecting the MDAC, no way would I have found that hidden menu in IPCORE with the MDAC showing up as large as life, no way. It is certainly not broadcast on the net anyway, without that info I'd have been knackered.
I also paid too much attention to SSH and fiddling with prompts, I'll leave well alone now until I'm 100% understanding why I need to go in there.

I got so much "no bull" hands on info here it saved the day. In fact I could now set a RPI up for a newcomer within the hour and get him up and running with the basics.......and music coming out of the speakers.

Now the basics are learnt there are other things I can move on to now, or at least see if they are possible.

For instance, a few years back on here I wanted to know how to rip cd's to FLAC.
Help again was in abundance. I settled on installing Jriver Media Jukebox14 after lads told me to and ripped a few CD's to Flac which worked. Never done it again as Spotify and Tidal took over.

Icon for Media Juke box is still showing on the Win 10 lappy I use for contolling Ipcore/RPI, it still contains a lot of forgotton rips.

Is it possible to stream them from the lappy through this set up?

Again, nice one and thanks.

I'm about to embark on the same journey having just obtained an M-DAC.

I've been using Squeezeboxes for years but have just moved to max2play on a Raspberry pi. Currently I have the excellent Digi+ Pro on the Rpi providing SPDIF out to a DACMagic, but want to move the M-DAC in and try it with both the Digi+ output and then with USB and to then stick with whatever sounds best.

Kenny - is there any chance of you sharing your summary to help me and anyone else who is on this journey that you seem to have accomplished?

I'm about to embark on the same journey having just obtained an M-DAC.

I've been using Squeezeboxes for years but have just moved to max2play on a Raspberry pi. Currently I have the excellent Digi+ Pro on the Rpi providing SPDIF out to a DACMagic, but want to move the M-DAC in and try it with both the Digi+ output and then with USB and to then stick with whatever sounds best.

Kenny - is there any chance of you sharing your summary to help me and anyone else who is on this journey that you seem to have accomplished?

I certainly would but to be honest I'd feel a touch pretentious doing a write up with my limited knowledge.

If you have the same RPI as me, and you have the MDAC I'll gladly go through it "live" on the phone with you. Or if you are near Lancs, I'd set it up for you.

I read somewhere the the MDac has a USB 1 interface which may be problematic. It may produce clicks or even stop over time, I believe the designer recommends the spdif connection over USB. May be worth some research.

Only just seen his Del? So what port on the RPI would you reckon I use?

I do not have a digi board just the DAC+

advertisement

Back