advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, the offer's there if you need it in the future.

FWIW, I am underwhelmed by any improvement in sound from TIDAL Masters albums via PC. It's irrational for MQA to assume any significance until proven.

Thank you - I'll try to get you an CM3 board ASAP :)

Well lets see how it goes with MQA - important thing is that no one feels they will miss out with MDAC2 / FDAC as we can add MQA via a firmware update (+ MQA royalty fee etc).

Cost is an issue - but MDAC2 is designed to be reference grade :)

I'm also using styrenes for the Analogue and DAC PSU decoupling - but parts made in Taiwan due to cost (something like x40 pcs used) ... still they will be better then any Ecap - in an effort to reduce the "warm-up time" which is so noticeable with the original MDAC.

John
I used to leave my MDAC powered up all the time. Will the MDAC2 have a standby mode that you can leave it in when not playing?

John
I used to leave my MDAC powered up all the time. Will the MDAC2 have a standby mode that you can leave it in when not playing?

Well the legal requirements for "Standby" today is 0.5 Watts which is useless for keeping the MDAC2 analogue stage "warm"

MDAC2 does have an auto power reduction, when the ClassA output stage dissipation and the Dissipation of the PSU Shunt regulators is reduce to much lower levels - keeping the DAC "ready" for use, but not as hot as during operational use :)

Mqa, Ill take my digital files vanilla with no drm or watermarkING. Frankly I have no interest in it at all.

So far they've proven no Sq increase from it, so I'll pass.

Hello folks,

I´m selling all my MDAC2/FDAC investments with an 10% discount.
For sale are:

• FDAC L3 MMC.....540 GBP (=600 GBP)
  • FDAC slave..........270 GBP (=300 GBP)
  • Detox...................45 GPB (= 50 GBP)
Easily PM me

Greetings
Superior

Hello folks,

I´m selling all my MDAC2/FDAC investments with an 10% discount.
For sale are:

• FDAC L3 MMC.....540 GBP (=600 GBP)
  • FDAC slave..........270 GBP (=300 GBP)
Easily PM me

Greetings
Superior

I thought all selling of positions was supposed to be done via a centrally held list. Has this changed?

No, but some people recently decided to put their own interests first :-/

Yes this is right, there is a list. How long is the list, I don´t know? Now after 4 years I want to go another route and it would be nice to be able to reinvest the money. That´s why I´m giving the 10% discount to anybody who will now join the project. That´s all.

FYI on the topic of MQA from a local source...

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

Thanks BigDog, this was very interesting. I think that Linn's central thesis that MQA is a 'land grab' is essentially true and I agree that we should resist it. Its unusual for Linn to be so passionate about such an issue and their statement verges on being too strong; we are all chasing the best quality in HiFi sound reproduction, but let's not walk into a trap laid by Meridian/Warner. I'm sure the 'DSP' built into MQA can be done easily enough without being locked into MQA. Linn appear still to be on our side!...:).

No MQA lights or icons on DACs please!

Yes this is right, there is a list. How long is the list, I don´t know? Now after 4 years I want to go another route and it would be nice to be able to reinvest the money. That´s why I´m giving the 10% discount to anybody who will now join the project. That´s all.

Superior, your naturally well within your rights to do that.
Regardless of what some people seem to think, there's nothing preventing you to actively sell your position. Nothing requires you to wait in an unspecified queue to sell your slot, nor have we (at least not me) agreed upon anything like that. I don't get it how you folks come up with crap like that...? Those who want to queue can certainly do that by themselves.

Regardless of what some people seem to think, there's nothing preventing you to actively sell your position. Nothing requires you to wait in an unspecified queue to sell your slot, nor have we (at least not me) agreed upon anything like that. I don't get it how you folks come up with crap like that...? Those who want to queue can certainly do that by themselves.

John, could we please have a view on this? Evidently some people think positions can only be sold via the list, while others think it's a free market.

Could you please clarify?

John, could we please have a view on this? Evidently some people think positions can only be sold via the list, while others think it's a free market.

Personally I think we should give John benefit if the doubt over his delivery promise this time...it's only 2 months away - after all this time, and I have to concur it's been frustrating with all the delays, but be a shame to give up at the 11th hour? :)

Of course he is! Please don't get my comment wrong.

John created a list in order to refund people as new funds come in. One has to understand that the development fees are spent during the development.

I just personally don't think that circumventing the list is the best course of action from the perspective of the community.

well I tried direct contact but never received the courtesy of a reply so waited a few weeks before 'advertising' my position here.

not that it worked :)

OK, I can understand that :)

I'm sure it was not intentionally. Best to remind him on the thread as he is often buried with work ;)

Matt,

Each sponsor of the FDAC / MDAC2 development does so on his own accord - they understand the risk and agree to the terms. What they then decide to do with there position is there own business - but I hope they will respect the community.

For the first MDAC2 production batch we will not increase to production slots so the only units manufactured will be those to who have already paid - this allows us to pass on the production slots of those who wish to transfer there position.

I dont expect much movement on the list until we have the MDAC2 prototyped and then heading towards production. We plan to have the first "T0" unit of say 10 pcs ready for Munich in May and that when we can expect movement.

I'll only say that we will not increase the production slots until we have happy sponsor - which ever route they choose.

Its important to bare in mind that the "development payments" are exactly that to help "group fund" the MDAC2 / FDAC development - which obviously continues right up until production - the Development payment gives the sponsor a production slot - so we will honour this my NOT increasing the production slots until everyone is happy .

I'd like to also add that those who are TOY / Fusion owners and have paid the GBP100, this production slot cannot be transferred to an NON Toy / Fusion owner unless they cover the full difference.

well I tried direct contact but never received the courtesy of a reply so waited a few weeks before 'advertising' my position here.

not that it worked :)

Sorry, thats bad of me, but please understand I'm completely buried in work, and we also have other things going on - I'm NOT aware of Renata or myself not replying to Emails, but in the case of me there has been a few occasions where a second Email was required - I handle about 30 -40 production releated Emails everyday and time just drags on...

My PRIORITY is to get the MDAC2 design completed - please understand that the only way the list is going to see significant movement is only once the MDAC2 is open for production orders.

I suggest that you please wait a couple more months for the "At Cost" production orders" to be opened and then we can help "transfer" slots.

Thanks BigDog, this was very interesting. I think that Linn's central thesis that MQA is a 'land grab' is essentially true and I agree that we should resist it. Its unusual for Linn to be so passionate about such an issue and their statement verges on being too strong; we are all chasing the best quality in HiFi sound reproduction, but let's not walk into a trap laid by Meridian/Warner. I'm sure the 'DSP' built into MQA can be done easily enough without being locked into MQA. Linn appear still to be on our side!...:).

No MQA lights or icons on DACs please!
I agree - I dont feel comfortable about the whole MQA business, but I also have to keep an open mind – atleast to be able to support MQA if there is a market demand.

MQA could really better explain what MQA does – my overriding feeling is that’s there was some honest intent to improve the sound quality by concentrating on the Time Domain aspects of the digital reproduction (VERY VERY IMPORTANT) – but this has been used to front a commercial operation packaged with “DRM” to convince the record company’s to release “Studio Master” quality recordings.

Sad its turned out like this – but is this my battle? IF and it’s a big IF we gain access to higher quality recordings maybe it’s the price we need to pay and accept we have sold our soul to a devil and move on… I only wish Native DSD was more feasible…

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back