advertisement

Archival CD storage?

With a normal CD fitted.. They are 14cm wide and 13.2cm tall. I have not been caught for duty (yet) in the UK.

Phil if in the Uk I could send you a single sleeve to try...

Thanks for the details, I would be pleased to take up your kind offer of a trial sleeve and am in the UK. Have sent you a PM.
Phil.

Hi Wazza69,

They're brandless as far as I know.
I ordered them at this Dutch company http://www.wydr.nl , on a populair Dutch advertsing-site.
(perhaps you can email them)

The ad is still on the Dutch ads-site, but I'm not sure if it's allowed to place a direct link to that ad on this fourm.

good luck!

regards,
Alco

Forgot to say thanks.....thanks!

I tried some of these and they are very good, did not get a customs bill, probably due to the low value.
After placing the order I found a better deal at Maplins with a handy little storage box and 200 wallets for £13 ish. However this offer has now gone and I didn't get the chance to try them, but they do sell the wallets as do many other places in the UK at a lower price. If I need anymore I will try a cheaper more convenient option.

I got some cases with suspension wallets, these are big enough to slip the artwork in one side (seometimes folded so it's not for your collectibles) and the disc on the other. This fits in an ally case, the sort of thing repair techs use for tools etc but smaller. It came out of a supermarket IIRC and is like the Maplin offering. I have one filled with compilations, the other is empty and will get the magazine freebies when I feel like it.

They arrived yesterday and are excellent quality. The drawing on the link above is not easy to interpret. There is a pocket in the front open along the fold line (the XG bit) which the booklet slides into. The tray insert I have found I can fold to make a little narrower and it then slides into the pocket behind the disc (or if you wanted to store two discs and did not want the insert ...). The completed item is about 3.2mm thick and so three will fit into the space of one jewel case. They are a few mm taller than a jewel case and a little shorter. The only real disadvantage of storing CDs this way is you no longer have the spine to help you find what you are looking for or to browse, all of the things mentioned in this thread seem to be the same in this regard.

There is a wide range of other Univenture products and if you email or phone the European distributors in Ireland I'm sure Naoise (pronounced neesha) would give you a quote.

Phil.

I replaced approx 1500 CD covers with plastic wallets from Jazzloft http://www.jazzloft.com/p-49162-200-sleeves-international-shipping-included.aspx

Massive space saving, and made a house move significantly easier (and lighter)
I'm thinking of trying those. Is there anything bad about them that you can think of? How easy is to read the "spines"?

BTW is the CD "jewel box" the worse piece of design ever foisted on the buying public, and who was the moron who gave it that name anyway? A container that's 100 times more fragile than the thing it's supposed to protect FFS!

Edit: I see I was replying to something from 2009, but if you're still around I'd be really interested in your comments. :)

Someone on here kindly sent me a sample of one of those. It seemed very flimsy compared with the Viewpacks I ended up with. I doubt you will be able to read the spine with either of these options.

Someone on here kindly sent me a sample of one of those. It seemed very flimsy compared with the Viewpacks I ended up with. I doubt you will be able to read the spine with either of these options.
Thanks. By "flimsy" do you mean that the Jazz Loft ones are really thin plastic? Is the Viewpack just a bit thicker or a lot?

Edit: I forgot to ask about 2/3/4 CD sets but this supplier might have just what I need.

I'm looking to archive about 2000 CDs initially for storage due to house renovation and then for storage in a newly renovated house.

It seems that Jazzloft may be gone, does anyone know what options are available now (in UK and Europe preferably)

.sjb

Very expensive to get to Dublin.

Does anyone know of other options that are pure storage rather than storage with a view to browsing on a shelf?

.sjb

I had the same problem but with my DVDs whose cases are even more bulky. I used plastic envelopes got from ebay ( quite cheap ). dvds are an easier proposition as they are now only backups will never play them again as I copied them all to my Media Center. I then used food wrap to keep the bundles to gether and then stout cardboard boxes. As for cds that I play, I use the very thin slimline plastic cases - you can get coloured ones - these are thick enough to take any slim booklet but not the cd case back

Very expensive to get to Dublin.

Does anyone know of other options that are pure storage rather than storage with a view to browsing on a shelf?

.sjb

At the moment my CDs stay in their 'Jewel' cases (what a misnomer that was!) and go into storage in the loft. Actually, the sleeves seem like a good idea now I think about it, as I would only ever need the discs for re-ripping if I lost both my NAS and its backups. Either way, you still need something to stack them in, and I find these boxes excellent for that:
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b18_0litre.php

They hold about 100 CDs, but obviously more than that without the cases. They do a bigger size, but that gets a bit heavy taking it up to the loft.

advertisement

Back