advertisement

New Naim Powerline Lite

Julf,

I guess I misread the thread — mods not not inflammable like the Pope — but my efforts tend to be at the post a picture of a cat / Star Trek / goofiness end of the spectrum, so as forum moderation goes it's more or a nudge.

The funny thing is that I have nothing but respect for scientists and engineers, but when it comes to listening to hi-fi I just don't care if my methods wouldn't hold up to rigorous scrutiny. Hi-fi kit is just a means to play music in a way I find enjoyable, so how kit measures and whether I've selected the best components among those available just doesn't enter the equation for me.

But, hey, if nothing else you got to meet my cat, who's very cute.

Joe

I guess I misread the thread — mods not not inflammable like the Pope

Wasn't there a time when you could be burned for claiming the Pope was inflammable?

my efforts tend to be at the post a picture of a cat / Star Trek / goofiness end of the spectrum, so as forum moderation goes it's more or a nudge.

And that is exactly how it was taken.

The funny thing is that I have nothing but respect for scientists and engineers, but when it comes to listening to hi-fi I just don't care if my methods wouldn't hold up to rigorous scrutiny. Hi-fi kit is just a means to play music in a way I find enjoyable, so how kit measures and whether I've selected the best components among those available just doesn't enter the equation for me.

Whereas I want to know with scientific certitude that my choices aren't the best ones available... :)

Some of the gear I listen to is absolutely horrible if measured by objective (and sometimes by subjective) criteria, but it really doesn't matter. The gear might have other redeeming qualities, or just be convenient - when I want to have music playing in the garage workshop, I don't really care if it is High End or not, and a lot of my gear is stuff I have for historical or sentimental reasons.

At the same time I can't escape my engineering science background, and 40 years of practical experience of technology (especially electronics) both professionally and as a hobby. I want to understand how and why things behave the way they do, and when things appear to behave in violation of current scientific and technical understanding, I like to see evidence - especially if claims are made.

I don't have any problem with someone saying "I prefer the sound of tube amps". I do have a problem with someone saying "Less feedback is better", or especially "A digital signal can't reproduce timing differences smaller than one sample interval".

But, hey, if nothing else you got to meet my cat, who's very cute.

Indeed, and I am a total sucker for cats (except on my keyboard or near circuits that are sensitive to static electricity).

Julf,

30813909536_b4e33a0940.jpg
31139766425_0042b7c6fe.jpg
31103518506_20c3dbf001.jpg

Joe

Joe,

That is not fair!!!!

(My wife wants a dog, I want a cat, so the compromise has been "neither", especially as we both travel a lot)

Such a pretty puddy cat! I have 5 of the blighters, but wouldn't want to do without them.

Recently, my good friend's hifi kit developed a mysteriousl fault on one channel. After a lot of headscratching, we found his tonearm cable had shorted and his cat's chew marks can be seen upon closer inspection. Also upon said inspection, it was discovered that the Linn T-cable is actually Mogami microphone wire, available online for less than US1.50 per foot.

This segues nicely back to the topic at hand.

Julf,

Neato, I figured it would only be a matter of time before live cat streaming became a reality, though with most cats I imagine much of the feed could be replaced with a static picture of a cat sleeping.

Joe

Julf,

Neato, I figured it would only be a matter of time before live cat streaming became a reality, though with most cats I imagine much of the feed could be replaced with a static picture of a cat sleeping.

Joe

Google for "Foster Dad John" :)

And be prepared to while away a few hours watching kittens!

Recently, my good friend's hifi kit developed a mysteriousl fault on one channel. After a lot of headscratching, we found his tonearm cable had shorted and his cat's chew marks can be seen upon closer inspection. Also upon said inspection, it was discovered that the Linn T-cable is actually Mogami microphone wire, available online for less than US1.50 per foot.

This segues nicely back to the topic at hand.

Uho, luckily my cats don't go near to the Hifi that frequently and get shooed away if I see them.

The best of this thread has been Joe's puss. What a little smasher!
Hang on.....my whippet is giving me a peculiar look.

Back to the cable business. Having been messing with hifi stuff (mostly non Naim so not brainwashed) for about 45 years I keep an open mind. Cables can make a difference. Some improve, some make little to no difference and some are decidedly detrimental. I let my ears make the decision. Tried several power cables with my Naim gear but, so far, the stock cable wins. I tried a Powerline some time ago in a Dac V and heard no difference. Ordered two Powerline Lite's from Tom Tom Audio this morning for my 272 and XPS2. Bought on 'Sale or Return' basis. "Give them a week or two and let us know." That's fine by me.

The best of this thread has been Joe's puss. What a little smasher!
Hang on.....my whippet is giving me a peculiar look.

Back to the cable business. Having been messing with hifi stuff (mostly non Naim so not brainwashed) for about 45 years I keep an open mind. Cables can make a difference. Some improve, some make little to no difference and some are decidedly detrimental. I let my ears make the decision. Tried several power cables with my Naim gear but, so far, the stock cable wins. I tried a Powerline some time ago in a Dac V and heard no difference. Ordered two Powerline Lite's from Tom Tom Audio this morning for my 272 and XPS2. Bought on 'Sale or Return' basis. "Give them a week or two and let us know." That's fine by me.

Why two power leads for the 272/XPS2, when the 272 is powered by the XPS the mains connection to the 272 isn't required saving you £95.00

What I really don't understand about power cables is why don't y'all experiment with making some of your own??
surely you must know how to wire up a 13a mains plug, an IEC is even simpler!!

If using a screened flex simply attached the screened to the earth, main plug end... job done.

For example Chord's top flight mains cable is c£1800, it uses plugs (both ends) that are readily available from eBay for £90.

looking at the Naim Powerlite lead it's material make up looks like something that costs £10-£20 and I may be too generous with that estimation.

I have dabbled with mains leads in the past, some home made others purchased and have always returned to the stock leads.

yerp, I made one this time coz my SuperUniti came without one (bought it ex-dem) and the naim one is c£40 even with a (UK) MK plug, standard Chinese moulded IEC and 0.75mm flex. I got some of Furutech's cheapest shielded flex and some decent pugs either end. Don't know if it makes any difference but I do know the electricity is getting to the amp OK. ;)

advertisement

Back