advertisement

System pics 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its taken a long time to get an Aro and I was worried about getting a 'Hero' and being disappointed, but thankfully off the LP12 it suits my tastes.

Its fast and bounces along with magic midrange, bass isn't the same scale as my Artemiz but its all good fun.

Next stop Decca SG :D

Well I'm glad you're having fun!

Pop in again if passing - I've stuck an Ortofon Cadenza Blue on the Dais/Spacearm and it is back to sounding as it should now.

Sorry to go off topic

I've had a few belt drives decks, the list is quite long, but ever since I heard a Lenco idler none have ever satisfied me. There's just something I like with an idler, and to a lesser extent a DD.

SQ is obviously subjective, but I prefer Roksan's Tabriz over the Nima largely because I thought the quality of bass was better. The Aro has the bass tone that the Nima hasn't, albeit less than I'm used to with bearing arms.

Thank you Mark, that's very interesting experience both about the arms and the drive concept.
As most belt drives will have been suspended it's hard to figure how much of the Aro's performance you perceived was the belt and how much the suspension, but no doubt the idlers have a quality on their own.
With potential for breathtaking bass performance according to some reports I saw..

I assume a little info exchange about and around the items shown is tolerated as long as it doesn't become an excessively blown up discussion..?

Came across a NOS plinth a few months ago and decided to build the table from parts available on eBay, including a few reversible mods. When nearly finished, the table came across nicely, as the sound was much more defined und less "fuzzy" than the original.

Decided to go the whole way and mount an SME309 that I had kept stored for years. This arm made a big difference, as now the bass is more than impressive. It is not only powerful, but also well-defined and deep.

The setup gels much nicer than I normally would have thought. The Adikt is brisk enough to give some welcome edge to the sound.

I seem to remember our friendly host complaining about the clean looks of some hifi systems, so I thought I'd try to cover my lacking expertise in taking proper pictures behind a powerful filter that makes things look old and used. :)

Photo-2017-02-17-14-46.jpg

Photo-2017-02-17-14-44.jpg

Photo-2017-02-17-14-47.jpg

Best regards,
Oliver

Came across a NOS plinth a few months ago and decided to build the table from parts available on eBay, including a few reversible mods. When nearly finished, the table came across nicely, as the sound was much more defined und less "fuzzy" than the original.

Decided to go the whole way and mount an SME309 that I had kept stored for years. This arm made a big difference, as now the bass is more than impressive. It is not only powerful, but also well-defined and deep.

The setup gels much nicer than I normally would have thought. The Adikt is brisk enough to give some welcome edge to the sound.

I seem to remember our friendly host complaining about the clean looks of some hifi systems, so I thought I'd try to cover my lacking expertise in taking proper pictures behind a powerful filter that makes things look old and used. :)

Very nice project...is that a Rega P3..?
Covering your lacking expertise was quite successful, I'd say..the pics are great ! :)

A bit more chrome introduced since last pic and another step in the right direction in the 'new' room. Olive HiCap placed on phono card duties and the CB HiCap now powering the preamp. Both PSU are modified for lower noise, the Olive having TPR4 regs and the CB having my own low-noise mods.

32122881344_0775a4f3f4_c.jpg

Mr Tibbs

Thank you for your nice comments - very much appreciated!

Nice job there on the Ebay special TT !

I was quite amazed at the variety of offers of parts for Rega turntables. Similarly to the LP12, you can build a Rega clone hardly using any original Rega parts nowerdays. I was intrigued by some custom plinth designs, some of them following a more "conservative" approach (same shape, different material) and some of them being rather radical.

Very nice project...is that a Rega P3..?
Covering your lacking expertise was quite successful, I'd say..the pics are great ! :)
You are right, it i an old Planar 3 plinth. It came in perfect shape and totally unused, but the laminate had become dull and grey-ish. So I tried a few drips of cockpit spray (the stuff used for cars' interiors), and the result was a shiny spot. So whole plinth was done at least three times, using a soft cloth, and now it looks like it did in the 90ies. :)

Compared to these elegant and stylish images exposed on this site, my humble tries to take decent pictures have to appear rather clumsy. I take your nice feedback as an incentive to get better at this.

Coredump - Lovely tt, well done. What mat are you using?
Ahh, one of my favourite topics - thanks for asking! :D

So far I have tried the original LP12 mat (nope), an Acromat (nope), the original Rega mat (yes) and finally came across these feet. I did not like the rubber feet at all, and to my ears they are very much responsible for the perceived fuzzyness of the Planar sound. Put the table on a solid base using three spikes, and the sound will have proper definition.

A proper PSU gives deeper bass with even better definition, but I guess that most Rega users know that anyway.

Thanks for your patience & best regards,
Oliver

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for the mini write up Coredump, I did read on Vinyl Engine good reports on the SRM isolation platform under the Rega tt. Found the feet you linked to interesting because I have just purchased oak cones to place under the plinth of my PTtoo. I am going to purchase a bamboo chopping board and place sorbothane feet under that (although I have just been recommended Newplast, a non hardening plasticine with a higher damping factor) and place the tt on the chopping board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back