advertisement

System pics 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a panorama shot of the listening area. There's pretty much the whole apartment since I live in a single room flat.

Also here's an older shot of the setup. Nothing has changed though:

Nice use of space and it looks smart.

Nice use of space and it looks smart.

Thanks!

Patu: Why do you place the speaker much to close too the wall?

They work best that way. I've experimented with all the possible placings here. You do get better soundstaging and three dimensionality when you take them out of the wall, spread them as wide as possible and toe-in but at the same time you lose something in PRaT and overall musicality. Also that's not what Naim sound is about (IMO). They just sound more fun with less toe-in, close to the wall and positioned closer eachother than from the sweetspot. You might think that the bass gets overwhelming but it doesn't. SCM40Mk2 is a closed design so it's easy to place close to wall.

Nothing much new other than the plants which survive about as long as a phono stylus in my system.

s628xmq.jpg

Your space has always looked cool and I love the look & sound of the Tannoys. The industrial studio styling works for me; I can't stand the looks of most modern speakers (save for those boring old-fashioned box speakers like Harbeths).

What other gear are you using?

Nothing much new other than the plants which survive about as long as a phono stylus in my system.

Your space has always looked cool and I love the look & sound of the Tannoys. The industrial studio styling works for me; I can't stand the looks of most modern speakers (save for those boring old-fashioned box speakers like Harbeths).

What other gear are you using?

Thanks, I have an LP12 and use Exposure amps in a multi-room system.

YAp38il.jpg

Its taken a long time to get an Aro and I was worried about getting a 'Hero' and being disappointed, but thankfully off the LP12 it suits my tastes.

Its fast and bounces along with magic midrange, bass isn't the same scale as my Artemiz but its all good fun.

Next stop Decca SG :D

Do you think that that's a thing with unipivots? I've heard that about Aro's before, also about the Audio Origami uni, I have a Morsch unipivot as well, and as you say it doesn't go particularly deep but it's sweet and detailed.

Do you think that that's a thing with unipivots? I've heard that about Aro's before, also about the Audio Origami uni, I have a Morsch unipivot as well, and as you say it doesn't go particularly deep but it's sweet and detailed.

I've heard that several times, too.
In contrast to that, Michael Fremer states in his article about the Immedia RPM2 unipivot that a Rockport arm couldn't match the bass performance of the RPM2.
Noor could any other arm heard heard up to then.

The article is from 1997, either he hadn't heard THAT much by then in contrast to today.
But I have the RPM and from my somewhat limited XP this uni is quite impressive in bass performance, in comparison to, say, my Ekos for example.

I think I heard the Nottingham unis are also not at all bass-shy,
so as a shot into the blue it could be a relation between carbon as TA material and the specific bass performance result..?
No idea really, just as a generalisation uni makes no bass,
I'd say: no.

The article is an interesting read generally, the Aro is mentioned a few times as well,,for those interested, here:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/immedia-rpm-2-tonearm-page-4

Its taken a long time to get an Aro and I was worried about getting a 'Hero' and being disappointed, but thankfully off the LP12 it suits my tastes.

Your Garrard and Aro is a beauty, if a very unusual combination...your's being the first I've ever seen.
Do I get it right you didn't like the Aro too much on the LP12 ?

I've heard that unipivots generally may be more comfortable on an unsuspended deck than a suspended one.

A cardanic by principle makes it impossible the needle varies from 90° to the groove provided the arm is set in balance.

With an uni and subchassis due vibration, variations from 90° may be possible, and certainly not desired.
If that happens in practice is beyond me, but would offer an expaint for the theory.

Your Garrard and Aro is a beauty, if a very unusual combination...your's being the first I've ever seen.
Do I get it right you didn't like the Aro too much on the LP12 ?

I've heard that unipivots generally may be more comfortable on an unsuspended deck than a suspended one.

A cardanic by principle makes it impossible the needle varies from 90° to the groove provided the arm is set in balance.

With an uni and subchassis due vibration, variations from 90° may be possible, and certainly not desired.
If that happens in practice is beyond me, but would offer an expaint for the theory.

Sorry to go off topic

I've had a few belt drives decks, the list is quite long, but ever since I heard a Lenco idler none have ever satisfied me. There's just something I like with an idler, and to a lesser extent a DD.

SQ is obviously subjective, but I prefer Roksan's Tabriz over the Nima largely because I thought the quality of bass was better. The Aro has the bass tone that the Nima hasn't, albeit less than I'm used to with bearing arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back