advertisement

New Naim Powerline Lite

Kraus,

Why would I have any need to make a claim that was not true. I was questioning the 'Science' behind the Powerline cable on its release at an exhorbitant price. I could not except that an iec socket, which introduces another connection, could be better than a captive. It'a like adding another synapse in a reflex arc!! The discussion proceeded and I was given a "break".
May I request that you do not suggest that I'm lying. I find it rather distasteful.

Spike it's Entirly feasible what you say, Naim site and its moderators often remove and ban posters on their site. I find the naim forum very Stasi like at times, after all naim has become a form of religion.

This was almost 10 years ago when it was introduced. At the time I was running a four box naim system and using an Aro. Indeed I still have a wonderful Naim NAIT. I recall suggesting that I should remove the captive lead fix an IEC socket and this would sound better!!
I have no problem with Naim or any manufacturer selling these. I just object to the "science". YPYMYTYC.

Kraus,

May I request that you do not suggest that I'm lying. I find it rather distasteful.

You may - and I will. With a full apology.

I'm afraid I was overconfident that I would have remembered any such scuffle and rather took my lack of recall for absence from reality.

What was you name over there - and who banned you? Seems draconian if this was the full substance of the incident.

The naim forum is not a democracy, they can ban who they want. On pfm I'm pretty sure discussing disputes with other sites is against AUP.

OP, I think you believe it is just a plain powercord marked up by Naim to 95 quid, which I agree would be wrong.
Look closer, it's not.

I did look closer and all I could clearly make out was the term Kema Keur. Interestingly, it's a quality protocol/certification process for electrical products which is apparently recognized world-wide.

Wonder what that requires and what it means?

I did look closer and all I could clearly make out was the term Kema Keur. Interestingly, it's a quality protocol/certification process for electrical products which is apparently recognized world-wide.

Wonder what that requires and what it means?

KEMA is a Dutch organisation (originally set up by a bunch of power utilities, but now owned by Det Norske Veritas in Norway) that does electrical safety testing / certification. KEMA certification is often a procurement requirement for electrical equipment. One of my companies went through the certification process for their power monitoring and measurement devices - one of our engineers spent 3 days at KEMA in Arnhem.

It has absolutely nothing to do with audio, it is purely an electrical safety certification.

"Keur" is Dutch for choice or acceptance.

Edit: forgot the "so what" - KEMA certification is voluntary, and is usually only done for volume products. No way someone like Naim would go through that process for a power lead or plug. Thus the power plug is probably a standard consumer appliance plug.

The naim forum is not a democracy, they can ban who they want. On pfm I'm pretty sure discussing disputes with other sites is against AUP.

This. It's pretty easy to use forums like this which are not moderated to a manufacturer's commercial interest. Group think is less likely and experience is broader. Just don't exepect as much slavish agreement. :D

all expensive mains cable are a joke,yes I did try. screening is good, reasonable csa . and well put together with a good fit plug . tops £50 sorted

all expensive mains cable are a joke,yes I did try. screening is good, reasonable csa . and well put together with a good fit plug . tops £50 sorted

Before calling them a joke, have you tried any of them? This one doesn't count because it's a standard cable with a fancy plug and badge, but some of the aftermarket cables make a lot of difference. For me my recent power cable purchase was as big an improvement as buying a new box.

I have been of the opinion that when you are being ripped off the person doing the ripping off has to tell you they are doing so.
Its done usually in a subliminal way, and the person doing it is probably not aware, some kind of Freudian off loading of guilt trip.
I felt the £666 price for a single box for a NAP 500 amp fell squarely in to this category.

I have been of the opinion that when you are being ripped off the person doing the ripping off has to tell you they are doing so.
Its done usually in a subliminal way, and the person doing it is probably not aware, some kind of Freudian off loading of guilt trip.
I felt the £666 price for a single box for a NAP 500 amp fell squarely in to this category.
"I'm gonna sell you this item but, before you buy it, I must warn you it's a rip-off". "Splendid! In that case, I'll have two!"

I got banned on the naim forum for suggesting that a captive lead must be better.

I got a 7 day ban for offering to lend someone a cheap CA640p phono stage as they couldn't afford to buy one as well as a TT.

advertisement

Back