advertisement

MQA bad for Music?

I wouldn't trust anything Linn say. Meridian have their own motives for promoting MQA and Linn for dismissing it.

Never mind the Linn v Meridian thing. I gave a stake in neither but I can't find anything to argue with in that article. I think it's spot on.

As it says right at the start it doesn't deal with sound quality, so IMO it's simply a not very good attempt at deriding MQA's business model.

Quite boring I'd say.

Not really that interested in what Linn say. I reckon if they'd have thought of it, it would be labeled as the future of music.
However, I do have reservations of my own. It appears that MQA's "remastering" is largely down to Bob Stuart's taste, much like any other remastering is at the behest of the guy behind the desk.
Using Bluesound & Tidal, flipping between MQA & regular CD quality, the differences seem minimal & just that.....differences, as opposed to "better".
For as long as Tidal Masters MQA is at no extra cost to the consumer, then hey, why not.
However, I wonder if, a few months down the line, the price for Tidal MQA will rise above their hifi offering. Then I guess we will see if the market supports MQA, or it sinks.

A more restrained critique from Linn would have sounded less desperate. It reads like they are worried by Mqa and a tiny bit jealous.

Not really that interested in what Linn say. I reckon if they'd have thought of it, it would be labeled as the future of music.
However, I do have reservations of my own. It appears that MQA's "remastering" is largely down to Bob Stuart's taste, much like any other remastering is at the behest of the guy behind the desk.
Using Bluesound & Tidal, flipping between MQA & regular CD quality, the differences seem minimal & just that.....differences, as opposed to "better".
For as long as Tidal Masters MQA is at no extra cost to the consumer, then hey, why not.
However, I wonder if, a few months down the line, the price for Tidal MQA will rise above their hifi offering. Then I guess we will see if the market supports MQA, or it sinks.

Mqa will get their revenue from tiny portions of streaming income. Particularly , at a first , from mostly dormant legacy libraries like the warners school of rock. I'd also be surprised if Tidal tried to increase fees as their upside is more members

Mqa will get their revenue from tiny portions of streaming income. Particularly , at a first , from mostly dormant legacy libraries like the warners school of rock. I'd also be surprised if Tidal tried to increase fees as their upside is more members

So people who don't want MQA still end up subsidizing it?

Might be worth reading the article without thinking about who wrote it and then reassess what it means rather than immediately resorting to banal mudslinging.

I have re read the article and it reads just as I described. Really struggling with the idea that Mqa can damage music. it might damage Linn of course

I have re read the article and it reads just as I described. Really struggling with the idea that Mqa can damage music. it might damage Linn of course

Well, if you will need to pay more for Tidal account or streamer/DAC it will damage... your budget.

One have to admit MQA is very intelligently designed product. Something like you eat cake and you have cake. You do not have to pay for it and you have it. But if you look closer it is a bit different story. It is intelligent product for Meridian, for others not so. If you are DAC producer you will need to pay for it and share bits of your design(!). Licencing will probably affect everyone who wants to have MQA certification on their product. At the end of the day, customer will need to cover this cost.
And if you want to use it for free like now on Tidal... you will only get small piece of cake, and if you like it and want more, you have to pay. You need hardware with MQA certification ($). This photo explains how it works:

11017mqa1c.jpg

advertisement

Back